Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC Clarification

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2005, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

SDC Clarification

I've searched FT, reviewed the info on delta.com and spoken with an agent at DCA about what is allowed. Some people seem to think that you cannot change your connecting city. Everyone seems to agree that you cannot change from a non-stop to a connecting flight. The agent at DCA said that you must depart within 3 hours of your originally scheduled flight. My read of the rules was that you may travel anytime on the sameday as your original travel, however, you may not be confirmed until 3 hours prior to your departure.

Here are my facts: I'm traveling on a F award from IAD to LAX. Currently I am connecting through SLC. I would like to travel at a different time on a flight through ATL on the same day. Am I correct in that (assuming the seat is available) I can change to a flight 6 hours earlier and also go via ATL instead of SLC?

It might be helpful for this topic to be addressed in the "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About DAL, and More" thread. Assuming this thread garners enough comments, perhaps it can be linked in the sticky.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 5:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
It sounds like you've gotten some bad information.

Same Day Confirmed allows you to confirm a different flight beginning at the three hour mark prior to your desired new flight. It has nothing to do with the flight you're already booked on. For example, you're booked at 10 a.m. for a flight, but you want to take the 5 p.m. flight that same day. Under SDC, you would be eligible to confirm a seat on the 5 p.m. flight beginning three hours before that departure time, i.e., 2 p.m. Once again, it has nothing to do with your original flight time. The caution here is that under this system, you would -- in the example above -- miss your original flight intentionally, and there is no guarantee when the three hour mark comes around that seats would be available on your desired flight.

For this reason, in general the program works better when you want to take a flight earlier than your original departure.

As far as routing, I don't think it matters. I know for a fact that you can change from a connection to a nonstop as long as origin and destination are the same, so I don't think there would be any prohibition in changing to a different connecting city. The only exception to this would occur if your original fare did not allow a connection in a specific city; in this event, you wouldn't be able to book it, I don't think.

The other caveat here is that you cannot go into a co-terminal using SDC. For example, if you're booked into LGA and you want to go SDC on a flight to JFK, you can't.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
It sounds like you've gotten some bad information.

Same Day Confirmed allows you to confirm a different flight beginning at the three hour mark prior to your desired new flight. It has nothing to do with the flight you're already booked on. For example, you're booked at 10 a.m. for a flight, but you want to take the 5 p.m. flight that same day. Under SDC, you would be eligible to confirm a seat on the 5 p.m. flight beginning three hours before that departure time, i.e., 2 p.m. Once again, it has nothing to do with your original flight time. The caution here is that under this system, you would -- in the example above -- miss your original flight intentionally, and there is no guarantee when the three hour mark comes around that seats would be available on your desired flight.

For this reason, in general the program works better when you want to take a flight earlier than your original departure.

As far as routing, I don't think it matters. I know for a fact that you can change from a connection to a nonstop as long as origin and destination are the same, so I don't think there would be any prohibition in changing to a different connecting city. The only exception to this would occur if your original fare did not allow a connection in a specific city; in this event, you wouldn't be able to book it, I don't think.

The other caveat here is that you cannot go into a co-terminal using SDC. For example, if you're booked into LGA and you want to go SDC on a flight to JFK, you can't.
Thanks. This makes sense and was my read of what delta.com said. Unfotunately, the misinformation was clouding my judgement/making me second guess myself. I actually want to go earlier so I think I am safe. It seems like DL always holds a F seat or 2 until just before departure, as such I'm hopeful I can grab one. Row 7 on the 764 might be taken, but I'm sure I'll manage
Old Jul 30, 2005, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Here is the info from delta.com. What I don't see on the newly designed website is that the $25 fee is waived for PMs and GMs. Has this changed?

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...nges/index.jsp

Same-Day Travel Changes
Our same-day travel options offer you greater flexibility on the day of your travel. We offer you a same-day confirmed travel option and same-day travel upgrades.

Same-day Confirmed Travel
The Same-day Confirmed option allows you to change your flight time on the same day of travel for a fee of $25. To use the same-day confirmed option, you must confirm your new flight within 3 hours of the scheduled departure time. If you have a flexible fare (usually a refundable ticket), you may be able to change your itinerary without a fee.

You can use the same-day confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta, Delta Connection®, and Song® flights.

Limitations
This option is limited to specific flight routing and connection changes.

You can change from a connection flight to a nonstop/direct flight.
You will be booked in the same class of service you were originally ticketed.
If you are a Medallion® member currently confirmed for an upgrade in V class, you will be rebooked in Coach class and need to request a an upgrade for your new flight.

The following are not permissible:

No changes between origin, destination, or co-terminals (such as New York’s LaGuardia and JFK airports).
No changes to routing for fares that are flight specific or require specific routing.

Service Charges
You can confirm your new flight for $25 within 3 hours of the departure time. If you are changing prior to 3 hours of the flight departure time, the standard rules of your fare will apply.

Example: If you are scheduled on a 9:00am flight and would like to take a 7:00pm flight on the same day, you can request the same-day confirm option as early as 4:00pm. If you request a change prior to 3 hours of the flight departure time, the standard rules of your fare will apply.

Award Ticket Applicability
The same-day confirmed option is available for Award Tickets. However, these rules do not apply if you are using Medallion unlimited complimentary upgrades or other upgrade products.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 6:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by Traveller
The following are not permissible:

No changes between origin, destination, or co-terminals (such as New York’s LaGuardia and JFK airports).
No changes to routing for fares that are flight specific or require specific routing.
I guess you'll have to look at your fare rules to see if your fares are either flight specific or require a specific routing, but my understanding is that most fares are not like this - I could easily be wrong on this point.

But as long as you are trying to travel earlier than scheduled, you'll be in pretty good shape. I've occasionally booked flights on the late side, knowing that I can SDC if I get out of meetings early. I've also booked cheaper later flights (say T class fares instead of an earlier L class), knowing that for free (as GM) or $25 (as FO last year) I would likely be able to change flights to an earlier flight and save some $$$.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:03 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
An award ticket does not have any flight applicability restrictions (other than "any DL flight"), so that should be OK.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

One more question. Can the SDC be done over the phone with reservations or does it have to be in person at the airport?
Old Jul 31, 2005, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by El Boocho
One more question. Can the SDC be done over the phone with reservations or does it have to be in person at the airport?
It can be done over the phone and probably should be done over the phone since you can request the change w/i 3 hours of the flight. I try to call as soon as possible before the 3 hour window, sometimes when I'm changing busy Florida flights, I'll call about 5-10 minutes ahead and talk to the CSR until the 3 hour window opens. It seems to also be an option to change flights on the DL website but I've never been able to do it since I usually have an upgrade on request and the website burps when that is the case.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveller
It can be done over the phone and probably should be done over the phone since you can request the change w/i 3 hours of the flight. I try to call as soon as possible before the 3 hour window, sometimes when I'm changing busy Florida flights, I'll call about 5-10 minutes ahead and talk to the CSR until the 3 hour window opens. It seems to also be an option to change flights on the DL website but I've never been able to do it since I usually have an upgrade on request and the website burps when that is the case.
I have paper tickets so I expect the website will be confused. Hopefully the live agent won't be though. Have you had the fee waived as a PM or GM? I don't really mind paying $25, but didn't know if as a GM I was supposed to. The website says that the standby fee is waived for PM/GM but is vague about the SDC option.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by El Boocho
I have paper tickets so I expect the website will be confused. Hopefully the live agent won't be though. Have you had the fee waived as a PM or GM? I don't really mind paying $25, but didn't know if as a GM I was supposed to. The website says that the standby fee is waived for PM/GM but is vague about the SDC option.
As a PM I have never paid the SDC fee and I believe that the fee is also waived for GMs.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 3:53 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 1:34 pm
Old Jul 31, 2005, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vinnmann
It is waived for both GM and PM per the Benefits at a Glance page.
:-: You are 100% correct. :-: Per the new website, the benefit is no longer vague.

Last edited by El Boocho; Jul 31, 2005 at 7:02 pm
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Another question...(and this is what the search pulled up so no flaming please!!!:/) if Im booked on the 12.30am red-eye of a Saturday...can I same day confirm to a flight at 10pm on Saturday night (taking the risk that something may not be available three hours before)?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:09 pm

It is literally "same-day" confirmed, so yes, this is allowed. I believe it's covered in the SDC FAQ that were started recently.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Thanks!!!...so am planning on SDCing onto a later flight and hoping I dont get stuck!! meaning I hope I dont end up in LAS at a higher Y fare although I will glady pay it thanks to DL's past PM offerings at lower fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.