Short Route and Old Planes

Old Jul 29, 05, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM
Short Route and Old Planes

Wow, just did a 20 min flight from IND to CVG!!! that is now my shortest record. Coach didn't even get drink service. I did in F. New record for shortest flight.

Now to the real reason. Here in che CRC i can see my plane (which they switched on me) Its prob the first MD88 Delta ever got. okay, it does have the new paint scheme, but it looks like someone took a scrapper and scrapped off 1/2 the paint, or it went thru one h*ll of a storm and got sand blasted. I hope the insde of the plane is not a bad looking, otherwise, it is a shame DL dosen't put some money into a new paint job or even better, get rid of it (assets to go).

I'll fill ya in on the inside.

N903DL
Serial number 49534 LN:1344
Type MD-82
First flight date 19/01/1987

Update:
It did have the new leather seats and scheme inside, so i guess its whats inside thtat matters most, not whats on the outside.

Last edited by iCorpRoadie; Jul 29, 05 at 11:20 am
Old Jul 29, 05, 9:08 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Where you have you been? Delta is on the verge of bankruptcy; they don't have money laying around for new paint jobs!

At least Delta doesn't stick you on a bus like CO does with their EWR-ABE "flight".
Old Jul 29, 05, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
It did have the new leather seats and scheme inside, so i guess its whats inside thtat matters most, not whats on the outside.
It indeed is. Half of the pax never notice the paint on a plane, but yet do notice it if they don't have a Sky magazine at their seat . I mean, just look at the paint condition on US' fleet: There is so much paint peeling of their aircraft, they could be mistaken for AA planes . As long as it doesn't influence the safety, peeling paint is only a minor cosmetic problem.
Old Jul 29, 05, 1:25 pm

I don't get these threads that are all, I am not flying so and so because they have a nasty livery! I am not implying that this is one of these threads but it definitely relates to it. Like JS said above Delta has way more things to worry about than paint, and indeed it matters what is on the inside. Brand new leather seats? Who cares whats on the outside if you can't even see it anyway.
Old Jul 29, 05, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaRIC
I don't get these threads that are all, I am not flying so and so because they have a nasty livery! I am not implying that this is one of these threads but it definitely relates to it. Like JS said above Delta has way more things to worry about than paint, and indeed it matters what is on the inside. Brand new leather seats? Who cares whats on the outside if you can't even see it anyway.

I think this philosophy is correct, but unfortunately for those that aren't as comfortable as some of us with flying, it is the outside of the plane that counts. Think about it for a second: If you don't like flying, would you rather fly on a plane that's kept up well, or would you rather fly one that's paint is peeling off. Methinks you'd choose the former. It's sometimes hard to get through to people though that IT'S JUST PAINT!
Old Jul 29, 05, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM (0.9MM), MR PM, National Ex+, blah blah blah
Just remember that paint is being blasted by wind at 500 mph. If its dusty, or raining, even worse. It only takes one storm to ruin a paint job on a plane. And they do get painted fairly frequently. I've seen multiple photos of the same plane on airliners.net that within weeks of one another show the plane good, bad, then good again. And although it is only paint, it is the airline's corporate image and they will keep paying to keep it looking as good as they can.
Old Jul 30, 05, 10:12 am

Gotta agree with OP on this one. The outside of the plane does make a difference to some people. And I agree it is about trying to project the "right" image to the customer and potential customer.

Originally Posted by DeltaRIC
Old Jul 30, 05, 10:25 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I evaluate the business I choose to give my money to by everything about them... there service, their product offerings, their attititude... you get the picture. Nasty looking livery on the outside of a plane should definitely be a factor in this equation. If they are not maintaining their livery, what else are they not maintaining? Is the only factor? NO. But I'm not fond of unsightly planes, just like I'm not fond of unsightly hotel buildings, restaurants, etc. I agree with the OP.
Old Jul 30, 05, 11:54 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
...If they are not maintaining their livery, what else are they not maintaining?...
That makes no sense. You could just as easily say that about an airline with perfect paint: "If they are maintaining their livery so well, what are they cutting back on?"

The FAA ensures that the airplanes are airworthy. Paint and "what else" are unrelated.

If you have an image problem, like CO did about 15 years ago, sure, then a new paint job is helpful. But Delta is not in that situation.

Delta's problems are financial, not wretched customer service like CO's was.
Old Jul 30, 05, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
Last year, I flew from CVG to DAY (DL's shortest flight at 63 miles) on an FRJ. Sure the plane was old, but at least it

was a jet! Had it been CO or NW, you can bet it's a prop plane segment. On that late night 14 minute flight, we got bottled water as we boarded and snacks in flight (served by a beautiful, leggy blond haired flight attendant I might add). Memorable flight since I was sitting in the first row and she was directly across from me-so close we could play toesies. (don't tell Mrs. NOLA Flyer)
Old Jul 30, 05, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by NOLA Flyer
Last year, I flew from CVG to DAY (DL's shortest flight at 63 miles) on an FRJ. Sure the plane was old,
OLD?!? The 328Jets were delivered from 2000 until 2002. Not even SQ considers that old.
Old Jul 30, 05, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Last year, I flew from CVG to DAY (DL's shortest flight at 63 miles) on an FRJ. Sure the plane was old, but at least it

was a jet! Had it been CO or NW, you can bet it's a prop plane segment. On that late night 14 minute flight, we got bottled water as we boarded and snacks in flight (served by a beautiful, leggy blond haired flight attendant I might add). Memorable flight since I was sitting in the first row and she was directly across from me-so close we could play toesies. (don't tell Mrs. NOLA Flyer)

Oh, behave!
Old Jul 30, 05, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
Talking

we got bottled water as we boarded and snacks in flight (served by a beautiful, leggy blond haired flight attendant I might add).
You like FAs that don't shave their legs?
Old Jul 30, 05, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
Well, it "seemed" old.

Originally Posted by DAL767-400ER
OLD?!? The 328Jets were delivered from 2000 until 2002. Not even SQ considers that old.
Old Jul 31, 05, 1:01 pm

Well, it "seemed" old.
Considering they were operated by Atlantic Coast Airlines, that doesn't surprise me .

Search this Thread