Temporary VISA-Amsterdam

Old Jul 22, 05, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Temporary VISA-Amsterdam

I have a rather long layover in AMS next week and would like to take the train from the airport to central Amsterdam for a few hours. I was told by a DL rep that this is possibile, but I would need a special 1 day visa. Does anyone have experience with this, and if so, what is the procedure for obtaining this type of VISA? Can this be done quickly?
Old Jul 22, 05, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by aceflyer2
I have a rather long layover in AMS next week and would like to take the train from the airport to central Amsterdam for a few hours. I was told by a DL rep that this is possibile, but I would need a special 1 day visa. Does anyone have experience with this, and if so, what is the procedure for obtaining this type of VISA? Can this be done quickly?
Which passports do you hold?
Old Jul 22, 05, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

U.S.

Originally Posted by CelticFlyer
Which passports do you hold?
Old Jul 22, 05, 10:02 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, UA MP
Are you an U.S. Citizen? If you are, then you dont need a Visa. I have done the same thing a couple times. Make sure you leave enough time for the tram back to Central Station, the train to the airport, and for going through security at Schipol.

Check here if you need a visa

Old Jul 22, 05, 10:03 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
you do not need a visa to enter the Netherlands for up to 90 days when travelling as a tourist. In fact, once in the Netherlands, you can travel to any other Schengen country just like you would travel from Wisconsin to Minnesota or Florida to Georgia.. Quite convenient these days..
Old Jul 22, 05, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

I will check with DL again.... I was told that I would need a special VISA since I was "in-transit".

Originally Posted by kaptan
Are you an U.S. Citizen? If you are, then you dont need a Visa. I have done the same thing a couple times. Make sure you leave enough time for the tram back to Central Station, the train to the airport, and for going through security at Schipol.

Old Jul 22, 05, 10:07 pm

I will check with DL again.... I was told that I would need a special VISA since I was "in-transit".
If they told you that as a US citizen I really wonder which call center they were in...
Old Jul 22, 05, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Approximately how much time should I allow to get back to the gate (tram, security, etc) from the Central Station? Thanks.

Originally Posted by kaptan

Old Jul 22, 05, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

This didn't sound right to me either... maybe it was an "outsourced" center.

Originally Posted by CelticFlyer
If they told you that as a US citizen I really wonder which call center they were in...
Old Jul 22, 05, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Ok guys, please forget I posed the question. Now DL is saying no VISA is required.

Search this Thread