FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Adding Injury to Insult (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/455108-adding-injury-insult.html)

rnovak Jul 21, 2005 9:27 pm

Adding Injury to Insult

Allright.. I made the typical mistake. I flew Sunday night, had a meeting Monday morning, and checked my bag. Needless to say, my bag didn't make my flight (nevermind that the flight sat at the gate for 3+ hours because of a ATC ground hold in EWR).

Well, the wonderful people at Baggage 'services' from Delta were kind enough to provide me with a complementary toiletry kit. Is it me, or is giving me a kit that contians generic toothpaste, deodorant, a single blade razor, a 'brush' that could rip your scalp out, shaving cream that's thinner than milk, and other generic garbage, just adding insult to injury? (Or in the case of the razor Injury to insult).

Come on Delta, don't spend more on the packaging for the kit than the items inside. You lost my luggage, why should I suffer with having to use this stuff while you hunt down the bag you 'delayed'

Cholula Jul 21, 2005 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by rnovak
Allright.. I made the typical mistake. I flew Sunday night, had a meeting Monday morning, and checked my bag. Needless to say, my bag didn't make my flight (nevermind that the flight sat at the gate for 3+ hours because of a ATC ground hold in EWR).

Well, the wonderful people at Baggage 'services' from Delta were kind enough to provide me with a complementary toiletry kit. Is it me, or is giving me a kit that contians generic toothpaste, deodorant, a single blade razor, a 'brush' that could rip your scalp out, shaving cream that's thinner than milk, and other generic garbage, just adding insult to injury? (Or in the case of the razor Injury to insult).

Come on Delta, don't spend more on the packaging for the kit than the items inside. You lost my luggage, why should I suffer with having to use this stuff while you hunt down the bag you 'delayed'

I'm afraid what was once known as the RON kit may go the way of the dodo bird soon.
So I'd probably just take what they offer and be glad for it.
BTW, most decent hotels also have an amenity kit that you can request when you check in. We had to request one at a Marriott last week when one of our bags ended up in New Hampshire while we were in Illinois....:(.

PIONEER Jul 22, 2005 5:44 am

Sorry for your inconvenience. Were you connecting or going nonstop? Mainline or Connection? If Connection, was this planeside check in or at the counter? If mainline, is there a reason why you didn't just carry it on in the first place? This is a lesson that we all learn the hard way at some point. Always carry on at least the minimum essentials to get you through 24 hours. When did your bag finally show up? Better luck next time.

rnovak Jul 22, 2005 9:59 am

Originally Posted by PIONEER
Sorry for your inconvenience. Were you connecting or going nonstop? Mainline or Connection? If Connection, was this planeside check in or at the counter? If mainline, is there a reason why you didn't just carry it on in the first place? This is a lesson that we all learn the hard way at some point. Always carry on at least the minimum essentials to get you through 24 hours. When did your bag finally show up? Better luck next time.

Nonstop ATL-EWR, Mainline Delta flight. The bag was too big to carry on (although I was flying FC and could have probably gotten away with having the FA put it in the closet).

I usually do carry the essentials in my briefcase (Contact lens case, saline, razor, change of underwear) but had to carry actual work items in there this time (I hate when work gets in the way). Bottom line, it's better to carry on a small bag and check the bulk than get caught without clean underwear on a business trip.

Lesson Learned. :rolleyes:

btw.. The Crowne Plaza did have a decent kit that they gave me.

Cholula Jul 22, 2005 10:23 am

(I hate when work gets in the way)

I agree.
Check out retirement when you get a chance. I's a GREAT cure for work...;).

JS Jul 22, 2005 11:29 am

Don't you mean "I hate it when cleanliness gets in the way"? :D

thesaints Jul 22, 2005 11:33 am

Nonstop ATL-EWR, Mainline Delta flight. The bag was too big to carry on (although I was flying FC and could have probably gotten away with having the FA put it in the closet).

How do they mishandle baggage on a non-stop ? Just curious, I thought this was close to impossible (bar last-minute chek-ins)

MsEverywhere Jul 22, 2005 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Cholula
I agree.

Just rub it in! :mad:

indufan Jul 22, 2005 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Cholula
I agree.

Some of us wish to continue to contribute to society.

NOLA Flyer Jul 22, 2005 12:33 pm

I got one of these kits when I was forced to spend the night in CVG when my flight was cancelled due to weather. They couldn't locate my luggage for me to bring to the hotel I was planning to check into, but after an hour or so, DL found it. I never used the kit (still shrinkwrapped), and keep it in my bag for emergency.

After reading your post, maybe I should replace it with my own kit of amenities and sell this one (from DL) on ebay or something. ;)

indufan Jul 22, 2005 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by NOLA Flyer

After reading your post, maybe I should replace it with my own kit of amenities and sell this one (from DL) on ebay or something. ;)

I know this is not Coupon Connection but I will give you 12 cents for it if you pick up the shipping.

NOLA Flyer Jul 22, 2005 8:39 pm

No problem! What's your address?? Hey...wait a min.... :p

Originally Posted by indufan
I know this is not Coupon Connection but I will give you 12 cents for it if you pick up the shipping.

Flyer_Tuck Jul 23, 2005 6:21 am

On a flight into Vegas earlier this year my bag went missing and the DL baggage tracing crew gave me a NW overnight kit. All the usual stuff in there but included a small can of proper shaving foam, a sturdy razor and a deoderant stick that actually lasted for a couple of weeks. If NW can put together a decent stranded amenity kit, is it really beyond DL?

Cholula Jul 23, 2005 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Flyer_Tuck
If NW can put together a decent stranded amenity kit, is it really beyond DL?

Can't blame DL here.
If it were up to me, I'd cut out amenity kits all together.
The DL Marketing folks sit around and try to determine what's REALLY important to Joe and Jenna SixPack, Tom and Tina Tightwad and Fred and Flora FrequentFlyer.
They come up with a list of several dozen items like:
1. Cost
2. Upgrades
3. FF Miles
4. Schedule
and so on.......

I'm betting that nowhere on that list, no matter how long it is, is the quality or even existence of an amenity kit.
People don't choose an airline, IMO, based on what kind of freebies they'll get when they are stuck overnight. Yeah, we all WANT a paid hotel, free dinner, great amenity kit, etc. and we'll BAL if we don't get it.
But I can't see anybody factoring this item into their choice of an ailrline.
So here's a great way for DL to save $ XXX when they're profusely bleeding red ink.

socrates Jul 23, 2005 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Flyer_Tuck
On a flight into Vegas earlier this year my bag went missing and the DL baggage tracing crew gave me a NW overnight kit. All the usual stuff in there but included a small can of proper shaving foam, a sturdy razor and a deoderant stick that actually lasted for a couple of weeks. If NW can put together a decent stranded amenity kit, is it really beyond DL?

It's been awhile since my bags were lost but last time NWA also included a new t-shirt & a $25 opps coupon for my next flight