Delta / United to SYD

Old Jul 21, 05, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: dl,co,vs
Delta / United to SYD

Quick Question.

I have 150k miles on DL.
My partner has 150k miles on UA.
We want to travel to SYD next March, preferably together.
Definitely not coach.

Does anyone have any secrets to flying together, and on the flattest seat available, between those two programs?

Thanks.
Sean
Old Jul 21, 05, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
I don't know what an F reward to SYD is on UA but they have a suite that is similar to AAs Flagship suite in F. Completely flat beds that when in the upright position swivel.
Old Jul 21, 05, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
If your planning to use miles for this trip, I dont think you will be able to be on the same flights or airlines. For you since you have Delta SkyMiles you can take Korean Air through Seoul (ICN) to get to SYD. You could fly in Business which costs 150,000 miles. As for your partner she could go on United to SYD through LAX.

Or you could get an award ticket (on Delta) to LAX, then buy a UA ticket to SYD and your partner could use an award ticket all the way (on UA).
Old Jul 21, 05, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
The United awards are 90K for Business Saver, 120K for First Saver, 150K Business Standard (anytime), 200K First Standard (anytime).

There are other airlines in the Mileage Plus program that can get you to Sydney other than just United, so you have more options.

Delta is supposed to have awards with Singapore, and so does United, so it's possible that you could both fly the same airline, but award availabiliy on SQ is "difficut" in the Japenese sense.

Billy
Old Jul 21, 05, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: dl,co,vs
I'm thinking that maybe a mileage trade might be in order. Least intrusive would be in First - BOS/LAX/SYD. That way, it's flat seats and fairly straight shot. Now, how to trade miles...
Old Jul 21, 05, 3:11 pm

Don't waste your time with DL. It's not worth it. The routing adds many hours, and there is a long lay over is Seoul.

Find a way to get 30K more miles on United (e.g. buy 25K for $295 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416706 and figure out a way to get additional 5K). Shouldn't be too hard. Then, book 2 RT US-OZ tickets for 90K miles each. Good luck.
Old Jul 21, 05, 3:28 pm

Programs: Former 16 year Gold Medallion
Just as another possibility, check the UA group if you haven't yet. You can upgrade from an economy fare to a business fare with miles (or business to first). It used to be that upgrades were easier to get on the flights out of SFO than out of LAX.

Search this Thread