FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Detla Cutting Flights from JAX- WHY? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/454279-detla-cutting-flights-jax-why.html)

jr1202sr Jul 19, 2005 3:57 pm

Detla Cutting Flights from JAX- WHY?

Can't believe it as these flights are always full and they are BIG PLANES (767's).

The following flights have been CUT effective SEPT 1.

9:20 pm Depart Atlanta (ATL)
Arrive Jacksonville (JAX) 10:30 pm Delta 212

10:45 pm Depart Atlanta (ATL)
Arrive Jacksonville (JAX) 11:51 pm Delta 1764

Now the last flight out is

8:00 pm Depart Atlanta (ATL)
Arrive Jacksonville (JAX) 9:07 pm

Delta 1537

Makes Taking DELTA much harder out of JAX. SWA is about about to overtake them as the number one carrier in JAX and JET BLUE is coming to town this year which will KILL comair to JFK which they currently fly RJ's.

Guess The day has come to find another carrier out of JAX. :mad:

ClipperDelta Jul 19, 2005 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Can't believe it as these flights are always full and they are BIG PLANES (767's).

The following flights have been CUT effective SEPT 1.

9:20 pm Depart Atlanta (ATL)
Arrive Jacksonville (JAX) 10:30 pm Delta 212

10:45 pm Depart Atlanta (ATL)
Arrive Jacksonville (JAX) 11:51 pm Delta 1764

Now the last flight out is

8:00 pm Depart Atlanta (ATL)
Arrive Jacksonville (JAX) 9:07 pm

Delta 1537

Makes Taking DELTA much harder out of JAX. SWA is about about to overtake them as the number one carrier in JAX and JET BLUE is coming to town this year which will KILL comair to JFK which they currently fly RJ's.

Guess The day has come to find another carrier out of JAX. :mad:

Relax, these are just seasonal reductions for the fall. The two later flights are currently slated to return to the schedule by mid-November. There will be a 9:32pm departure (763) and a 10:52pm departure (762).

sxf24 Jul 19, 2005 4:05 pm

Jet Blue is coming to JAX?

motormadness Jul 19, 2005 4:11 pm

SWA is about about to overtake them as the number one carrier in JAX and JET BLUE is coming to town this year which will KILL comair to JFK which they currently fly RJ's. :mad:

That's news to me. :confused:

jr1202sr Jul 19, 2005 4:17 pm

If you read this week's Jax Business Chronicle (not sure if it is online) it states that SWA is just behind Delta for flights and passengers. SWA has recently added a bunch of cities non stop to Jax. Hoping MCI-JAX is next.

The same article states JET blue is coming. I have heard that from several contacts at JIA as well.

jr1202sr Jul 19, 2005 4:25 pm

Where did you see they are seasonal? Did they do this last year? I just got off the phone with SMS and they said they have NO timetable to re-instate the flights.

indufan Jul 19, 2005 4:48 pm

Full planes don't mean profitable ones.

elpi Jul 19, 2005 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
Full planes don't mean profitable ones.

True for Delta and other major only.

Citiboy45 Jul 19, 2005 8:50 pm

"SWA is about about to overtake them as the number one carrier in JAX and JET BLUE is coming to town this year"

I think this kind of answers the question. And, yes, they do this pretty much every year.

This fall they have to drastically reduce the schedule just to save the fuel. They're full now, they won't be then.

Traveller Jul 19, 2005 8:55 pm

:mad:

Flights from/to MLB are also being cut. Flights from/to RSW used to be 767's, now they are 757's and 737's. Maybe someone told Delta that no one goes to Florida in the fall/winter? :rolleyes:

indufan Jul 19, 2005 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
Flights from/to MLB are also being cut. Flights from/to RSW used to be 767's, now they are 757's and 737's. Maybe someone told Delta that no one goes to Florida in the fall/winter? :rolleyes:

It's an effort to reduce the overcapacity and raise fares.

Traveller Jul 19, 2005 9:20 pm

It's an effort to reduce the overcapacity and raise fares.

So where is the overcapacity?

indufan Jul 19, 2005 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
So where is the overcapacity?

Overcapacity doesn't mean there are empty seats. It means the seats are too cheap. All of the airlines make every attempt to sell every seat on every plane no matter how low they have to go. But cutting capacity, they can raise the prices according the supply and demand curve. The demand will remain roughly the same while the supply has been moved to a lower point.

Traveller Jul 19, 2005 9:36 pm

But cutting capacity, they can raise the prices according the supply and demand curve.

Not true while other airlines still have cheaper seats. (not true for MLB which only has DL, but for JAX and RSW DL alone raising prices would be suicide for them.)

Bagels Jul 19, 2005 9:46 pm

DL's cutting capacity systemwide.

To many of us the changes won't make sense: I don't understand why DL's cutting the afternoon DTW-ATL (3PM-6PM) business rush from two MD-88 & 757 to two CRJ & 732. Historically these flights have been the most popular and saw 763 service until a few years ago. But DL must know something I don't (duh).