Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

16 July 2005 - Schedule Changes Roll Through Delta Reservations

Old Jul 16, 05, 10:26 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

It's that time - schedule changes have rolled through the reservation system at Delta.

Check your itineraries and make any corrections that you need to before preferred seats and flights are no longer available!
Old Jul 16, 05, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
I noticed that MLB is losing 2 to 3 flights a day to ATL from September on bringing us down to 4 on weekends and 5 on weekdays. The flights I take weekly are going away. MLB flights are always oversold. Why would DL take these flights away? Can Delta be losing money at an airport that constantly has oversold flights?
Old Jul 16, 05, 10:54 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by Spiff
It's that time - schedule changes have rolled through the reservation system at Delta.

Check your itineraries and make any corrections that you need to before preferred seats and flights are no longer available!
Thanks Spiff, although, truth be told I had checked DAL first and already picked up on that. I hope Randy (whoever he is ) doesn't put me in the FT penalty box for not coming here first. This is, believe it or not, something like the SIXTH time that DAL has tweaked the times on some ATL to SFO reservations we've been holding for later this year--three of them within the last few weeks. I can't believe they have to fiddle with those flights that much--the changes always being 15 minutes or less. First, they'll move the departure up a few minutes, then back a few minutes, then up again (as an example). I wouldn't mind as much if DAL's programmers would get it together and find a way to let folks "clean-up" their own reservations online when that stuff happens. The SMS folks are almost always helpful and friendly but what a waste of their time and mine when we have to call and get them to do it.

Last edited by atl runner; Jul 16, 05 at 11:33 am
Old Jul 16, 05, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by Traveller
Can Delta be losing money at an airport that constantly has oversold flights?
The answer to that question is yes. But I actually wouldn't think that would be the case here since they have a monopoly at this airport. Those bring up interesting issues...will they "lose" those travellers or will they simply go on other flights, even if those other flights are out of MCO or DAB?
Old Jul 16, 05, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
The answer to that question is yes. But I actually wouldn't think that would be the case here since they have a monopoly at this airport. Those bring up interesting issues...will they "lose" those travellers or will they simply go on other flights, even if those other flights are out of MCO or DAB?
I already decided I'll have to go out of MCO since the times from MLB won't work for me anymore. All remaining flights give me approx. 3 hour layovers in ATL and means I can't get home on Thursday evenings. The same flights/times that I get out of MLB now are about $350, priced from MCO is about $160. Since I'm flying to BHM for the next 9 months, I'll stick with DL but you better believe that if I was flying west, I wouldn't (and couldn't with our corp TA) go out of my way to fly Delta as I did in past years when I lived in Orlando.
Old Jul 16, 05, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff

Thanks so much Spiff. I checked my Fall flight from Newark to San Diego. New flight schedule left me with a four hour layover in Atlanta. Not good especially since i am travelling with my dog. Luckily, I was able to reschedule this award flight.
Old Jul 16, 05, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Only one itinerary of mine got changed (for October)...my new itinerary has my MHT-ATL flight landing at 1845 (no change there), but the best part is my new ATL-GSO flight leaves at 1807 (yes, that's 38 minutes before I even get into ATL).

Will be calling SMS sometime sooner than later to cancel this trip, since the arrival into GSO is too late for my liking...(any FTer knows that this means I'm going to add some flights now onto my itinerary and get an extra few miles out of this...)

Last edited by mersk862; Jul 16, 05 at 6:27 pm
Old Jul 16, 05, 6:50 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Wow, after seeing this post I thought I was going to have to make my third call since my SFO-SJO ticket was issued on June 3rd to re-synch my reservation. To my amazement, no changes to all six segments. Go figure!
Old Jul 16, 05, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Virgin Flying Club
Thanks for the heads up. I've just checked my itinerary and yet again my out bound flights have been changed .... and again I'm leaving before I've arrived, LOL! How does that happen that they re-book you on a flight that departs before your previous one arrives? I swear someone out there doesn't want me to get to MOB!
Old Jul 16, 05, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL PM MM
Two out of three itineraries had been changed, and I was on the phone for 45 min. while she cleaned it up and reassigned the seats I wanted. In addition, she had to coordinate one itinerary with my mother's, as she and I are flying together.

Thanks for letting us know about this!
Old Jul 16, 05, 10:42 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jmflynn
Thanks for the heads up. I've just checked my itinerary and yet again my out bound flights have been changed .... and again I'm leaving before I've arrived, LOL! How does that happen that they re-book you on a flight that departs before your previous one arrives? I swear someone out there doesn't want me to get to MOB!
These weird itineraries are the result of rudimentary itinerary repair software. Basically, these algorithms were coded in the 60's and haven't changed much since then. The airlines have very little incentive to put a whole lot of effort into improving this software.
Old Jul 16, 05, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA Premier Silver, AA Gold, PC Gold, HH Silver, MR Silver
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like DL has cut out two flights from ATL-SDF, both at night and cut back a mainline flight. And, also brought back the 737-200.....lovely.

Also noticed that DL added a couple of 757's from EWR-ATL and cut back the last flight of the night (Fl#525 - 8:15 p.m.)

Last edited by card26; Jul 16, 05 at 10:54 pm
Old Jul 16, 05, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL PM®, AA Plat, HHonors Gold. Ex-NW Silver
My October itinerary includes a ATL-JAX segment, and that schedule changed drastically. They have eliminated DL212 (9:20p departure) and DL374 (10:45p departure), so I had to readjust all flights on my mini-MR to make it fit. No more late-night flights to JAX, maybe it is a seasonal route change. Two good things came of it though. I have an extra trip scheduled next month and now I don't need the extra miles to make PM, so I eliminated the SLC-ATL leg. Also, The T fare had decreased in price since the ticket was issued, so I now have a $133 eVoucher to use!
Old Jul 16, 05, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot of these posts mention that DL is cutting flights. Are they adding flights to any cities or just going to have less flights in the fall?
Old Jul 17, 05, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Traveller
A lot of these posts mention that DL is cutting flights. Are they adding flights to any cities or just going to have less flights in the fall?
You would hope their fall schedule has less capacity than their summer schedule. If not, I understand why they lost over $1 billion in the first quarter.

Search this Thread