Wiki Posts
Search

"Old" Miles vs. "New" Miles Award Tkts?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Platinum; DL, BA; SPG Gold
"Old" Miles vs. "New" Miles Award Tkts?

I read the following which was posted by BF263533 on Jun 15, 05, 1:50 pm.
"I will be using Delta in February to OGG, returning from HNL, but it is because I am getting two first class tickets for 100,000 miles under the old equity award system and just trying to use miles. Otherwise I would be flying CO or another carrier. "

I never knew there was a difference. Turns out I have 46,103 "old" miles. Just 4000 short of the 50,000 needed for F to HNL.

Is there anyway I can "get" 4000 old miles? I have over 80,000 "new" miles.

When I got award tickets in the past, no one mentioned I had the option of using less miles for an award ticket. So, in getting those awards, were "old" miles used or "new" miles?

Thanks so much. Pat.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PatFlyer
I read the following which was posted by BF263533 on Jun 15, 05, 1:50 pm.
"I will be using Delta in February to OGG, returning from HNL, but it is because I am getting two first class tickets for 100,000 miles under the old equity award system and just trying to use miles. Otherwise I would be flying CO or another carrier. "

I never knew there was a difference. Turns out I have 46,103 "old" miles. Just 4000 short of the 50,000 needed for F to HNL.

Is there anyway I can "get" 4000 old miles? I have over 80,000 "new" miles.

When I got award tickets in the past, no one mentioned I had the option of using less miles for an award ticket. So, in getting those awards, were "old" miles used or "new" miles?

Thanks so much. Pat.
There's no way I know of to get additional "old" miles at this point. The one possible exception might be if you had miles in an old Pan Am account when those accounts were turned into DL accounts. In this case, you probably have an orphaned Delta account out there somewhere that can be combined with your active account and those miles come in as "old" miles (I recently discovered one of these in my name ^ ).

Next, you have to be a current Medallion level member to use your old miles for awards from the old chart. If you're not a Delta Medallion (your profile doesn't indicate either way), you can still combine old and new miles for awards from the current award chart.

Finally, in my experience, Delta does not tap into your old miles unless you ask them to.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:27 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
The option of merging old Pan Am accounts is long gone many years ago. There is no way to get the frequent flier miles under the old program added or restored to the program. And if you happen to inherit them from a deceased family member, they are transfered as SkyMiles and not old miles.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
The option of merging old Pan Am accounts is long gone many years ago. There is no way to get the frequent flier miles under the old program added or restored to the program. And if you happen to inherit them from a deceased family member, they are transfered as SkyMiles and not old miles.
The orphaned account I referred to was a DL account that was created for me (by DL) because of the existing PA account I had way back when DL "inherited" those accounts. I didn't even know this account existed until I received a promo mailing from AMEX last year that referred to it. It contained 10K miles and when I merged the accounts, the miles came into my active account, increasing my "old" mileage balance, my YTD MQM balance, and MM balance by 10K each. If such an account could elude my detection for over 10 years, it could be that others have them out there, too.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:06 pm

PatFlyer, if you are a Medallion there are lots of other ways to use 46K old miles. Also, I believe F to HNL with old miles is 50K for 2 coach tickets and 75K for 2 F tickets to HNL. An F ticket for 50K does not include HNL. Perhaps someone else can give you the website for the old award miles chart. IMHO, F to HNL on a 764 is no great luxury anyway. In any case, you can upgrade H and Q fares for 5K old miles per person each way and K and L fares for 10K each way to Continental US, Alaska, Mexico, Bermuda, Canada and the Caribbean. So you can get a lot of F on several trips of considerable distance if you plan it right. Just a thought.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Alas, not a medallion member...but learning how to be.

I found the Delta (old) FF Award Chart in reading what I should have read a few days ago on "Sticky: PLEASE READ FIRST: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Anything To Do With Delta ( 1 2 )
Canarsie "

I also spoke to a very nice Delta rep who didn't know much about the "old" miles but found out. I didn't realize that the FF miles line on the SM statement was "old" miles. And, the Delta rep that I spoke to earlier today told me I had 46K miles when actually there are 89755.

Now, I really wish I was a medallion member...and I'm not. The "old" awards for Medallion members are fabulous. Not sure so great for us regular folks.

So based on what I think I know, these "old" miles must be used on Delta, and not CO....right? Too bad the ATL-HNL flight on DL isn't the best.

I'll be looking over all this and figuring out what to do.

I finally decided to put some time into organizing our FF programs and am learning (and saving alot) thanks to you all....yet spending my gardening time figuring (or at least trying to figure) it out.

Pat.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:08 pm

Cholula said on June 28, 2005:

As far as I know....and I'm pretty certain....mikey1003 is correct.
Old Miles=Old Rewards.
Which is a good thing.
I doubt DL would have the guts to change this as much as they'd wish.
But the longer Old Miles kick around, the fewer of us who remember them or what they are for.
Could be trouble brewing as we go forward....

see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ght=award+code

Old Medallion & Non-Medallion Award Charts-
http://www.fopaws.com/FT/old_medallion_awards.html

Some old non- medallions. I saved the old brochures.

Here are some old non-medallion award miles & codes:

Hawaii -
75% Discount on purchase of one-way or rount trip ticket 40,000 - code DC (certain fares apply)
One Free Coach Class - 50,000 - code ED
One Free First Class - 65,000 - code OJ
Two Free First Class - 100,000 - code R2

Transatlantic-
One free one class upgrade from economy 40,000 - code BE (certain fares apply)

Transpacific -
One free one class upgrade from economy 40,000 - code BF (certain fares apply)

You may have a line on you Delta statement that states: "Current FF Mileage Balance XXXXXXX" These are your old miles. You should have saved a brochure that Delta mailed out around May 1, 1995. (and your house would be as cluttered as mine) It is a 4 page brochure in red, white and blue. Go to page 4 at the very top it states:

"Transition options - Any miles earned up to May 1, 1995 will NEVER expire for as long as Delta has a frequent flyer program. And you do have some choices on how to use these miles:

Option 1: You may continue to redeem these Delta Frequent Flyer miles according to the current award schedule and rules for travel on Delta."

About 2-3 months ago I booked 2 first class tickest to Hawaii for 100,000 miles (Award Code R2).

other award examples:
Transpacific - 2 free business class 150,000 miles - award code X5.
Transpacific - 1 free business class 90,000 miles - award code QG.
Transatlantic - 2 free business class 150,000 miles - award code X2.
Transatlantic - 1 free business class 90,000 miles - award code QA

Last edited by BF263533; Jul 14, 2005 at 7:33 pm
Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:28 am
Original Poster

In addition to should have kept that 1995 brochure, I should have tried to understand the SM statement...and I would have known what old vs. new miles were all about. Then, that offer last winter of 15K miles or Silver Medallion would have meant something alot different. (I chose the 15K miles).
Two FC tickets to HNL for 75K sure sounds good for medallion holders with old miles.

On top of that, today is the last day for the fly one get Silver...and I live an hour from PVD, one of the departure cities. I just can't get away today.

The more I learn, the more I'm kicking myself!

Pat

Last edited by PatFlyer; Jul 15, 2005 at 5:56 am Reason: Being stupid
Old Jul 15, 2005, 6:49 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by BF263533
Cholula said on June 28, 2005:

As far as I know....and I'm pretty certain....mikey1003 is correct.
Old Miles=Old Rewards.
Which is a good thing.
I doubt DL would have the guts to change this as much as they'd wish.
But the longer Old Miles kick around, the fewer of us who remember them or what they are for.
Could be trouble brewing as we go forward....
I sure hope these old miles will still be good indefinitely. I am also sitting on a hoard of old DL miles (from the days when DL flew the direct NRT-PDX route), and like the idea of having such non-expiring miles, especially since the relative value of these old miles increases as the "new" miles cost of "new" awards keeps climbing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.