Asking for SkySaver reclassification?

Old Jul 13, 05, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JS
3) SkyMiles are being created like mad, especially with the credit cards [...]

Point #3 means there are more miles chasing these seats, and the end result is that it is very difficult to find seats on routes that have any amount of LCC competition
Of course, the credit card banks are paying good money for those airline miles -- ISTR that 2 cents/mile is the going rate. For most of the airlines, it's one of their few profitable areas. I would assume that the credit card banks have contracts that require the airlines to honor those miles by making award tickets available, since they're paying Real Money for them, but I don't know what the contracts actually say. It's not apparent to me that it's resulted in any seats being made available.

Air travel on an average day is a pain enough as it is; why quadruple it just because it's Glutton Day?
Well, you could travel on T'Day itself. At least this used to work -- don't think I've done it in 15 years or so. Used to be the day itself, the airplanes were 2/3 empty. (Same for Christmas Day.) In searching for awards, I noticed that plenty were still available on Thanksgiving Day, even when the week on both sides had nothing.

In my case, this travel has nothing to do with Thanksgiving. I just want to go to an Uncle Bonsai concert, and it happens to be the weekend before Thanksgiving.

During the 1990's, one year I drove 200 miles, which took 6 hours, and another year I took Amtrak the same 200 miles, and that also took 6 hours. I said, "screw this" and haven't looked back. ^
Hmm, 200 miles is a familiar number to me. I often go to Gainesville for Thanksgiving, which is about 150 miles, and when I lived out in the country it was almost 200 miles. Once about 10 or 12 years ago I left on Thanksgiving Day, having delayed because I'd been sick. Took me two whole days to get there. But then, I was riding my bicycle.

(To this day, I have crossed the Continental Divide many times in airplanes, but only five times on the ground -- and all five of those times were on a bicycle.)

Edward
Old Jul 13, 05, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by paleolith

(To this day, I have crossed the Continental Divide many times in airplanes, but only five times on the ground -- and all five of those times were on a bicycle.)
Only recently had I ever crossed it on the ground at all...and was even on the ground that is not on either side of the divide. For the longest time, I had never crossed the Mississippi River. Then I finally crossed it in the MSY area and later in MSP and still never in between.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: