Open-jaw tickets not permitted on Song's site.

Old Jul 7, 05, 6:37 am
Moderator: Travel with Pets
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Open-jaw tickets not permitted on Song's site.

Well here we go again.

1) Song's website does not allow you the option of booking an open-jaw ticket. In fact a multi-city booking feature is totally absent.

2) The vast majority of the mileage promotions that I have seen so far for Song are only valid (stated in the T&C) if you book them on Song's website.
If you book the same itinerary on DL's site you will not receive the bonus miles.

3) Many of us in NYC have a choice of LGA & JFK as well as FLL & PBI that will work equally well for us in our selection process. In the past, I have routed myself JFK-FLL for my outbound and PBI-LGA for my return either because of the departure times and/or the price of fare. In addition, now that JFK-SFO is being added to the Song schedule, it will be a fairly common practice for a person to desire an open-jaw like JFK-LAX & SFO-JFK.

Therefore based on the above I contacted Song and inquired why they don't have a multi-city booking option on their site. I have copied the emails in this exchange that have been sent to date.

================================================== =======

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

Name : Rssrsvp

Comments:
Why don't you have a multi-city reservations page like Delta & every other airline site has? Often times I wish to fly into either FLL or PBI and depart from the other airport. In addition the same holds true for either LGA or JFK.

================================================== ======

Hello Mr. Rssrsvp,

Thank you for contacting us.

In order to make a purchase on Song as easy as possible all fares are one-way. To assist our guests, we do have the option to purchase round-trip travel available as a large percentage of our guests are traveling back and forth to the same city.

To introduce the option to either return to a different city or come back from a different city (an open-jaw in airline lingo) would require us to complicate the purchase process to accommodate a small percentage of people. We would really rather not do that, so if your travel plans require this option the easiest way to do it is to purchase two separate one-way trips or purchase your air segments via delta.com .

We appreciate you checking in with Song.

Carolyn,
Song Guest Services
www.flysong.com

All Song flights are operated by Delta Air Lines

================================================== ======

Dear Carolyn,

Song has reached out to the public with various mileage bonus promotions that require you to purchase tickets only on the Song website. If I were to make a purchase on Delta's site (which I know how to do) I would not receive any credit for these bonus miles. Song should either add Delta's site as being eligible in the terms & conditions for their promotions or give customers the ability to purchase open-jaw tickets (in "frequent traveler" - Gold Medallion lingo).

You stated, "To assist our guests, we do have the option to purchase round-trip travel available as a large percentage of our guests are traveling back and forth to the same city."

Well the last time that I checked, both LGA and JFK and in the same city. In addition FLL and PBI are also considered sister airports as they are only 30 minutes away from each other. Therefore, as the NYC-Florida routes are one of your most important markets, it would seem only logical to people that do decide to purchase a ticket on Song, that you do offer us the ability to book open-jaw tickets. That in my book would be an excellent example of how to assist your guests.

By the way, there is a simple reason why I didn't opt to purchase 2 one way tickets on Song's website. Only an idiot or a totally inexperienced traveler would make this mistake. Everyone knows that if you do, you will be given a boarding pass that has the "SSSS" stamp on it which singles you out for an extensive TSA inspection.

Therefore instead of only telling me what you can currently do, I urge you to pass this email on to Joanne Smith's office for further review. In addition, you may ask Liz Lotter in your Guest Relations department whether I am crazy for making such a logical request.

Sincerely yours,
Rssrsvp

================================================== =======

Dear Mr. Rssrsvp,

We appreciate your additional comments about flysong.com. We are continually working to make our website as easy to work with as possible.

We will send your comments on to the web people. They welcome any and all comments on the site that they can get.

Again, thank you for writing. We appreciate your selection of Song and will always welcome the opportunity to be of service.

Kate,
Song Guest Services
www.flysong.com

All Song flights are operated by Delta Air Lines
Old Jul 7, 05, 7:11 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 07 at 3:15 pm
Old Jul 7, 05, 7:15 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
SSSS Misconceptions

I have purchased many OW tix without getting the SSSS. The only times I have received the SSSS is when something was done at the last minute, either a de novo reservation or even a last minute (within a hour or two) change to an existing reservation. I am talking even when the ticket counter tells you your planned flight is delayed or cancelled, here is your new itinerary via another hub, and lo and behold, SSSS on the BP since whatever algorithm the computer uses marks this as a last minute booking. So SONG only offering OW flights will not get you the SSSS (although I do agree that the site should offer the capability to book RT).

Last edited by RobertS975; Jul 7, 05 at 7:18 am
Old Jul 7, 05, 7:55 am
Original Poster

BTW, here is an example of the T&C from a typical Song promotion. The way it is worded, you would be excluded if you purchase 2 one way tickets on Song's site or an open-jaw on DL's site.

================================================== =====
terms & conditions

All Song flights are operated by Delta Air Lines. Earn one 10,000-mile bonus for a flown round-trip ticket between New York (JFK), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and Seattle (SEA) purchased at flysong.com. Enrollment and travel must be completed by September 30, 2005. One bonus per SkyMiles member. Enrollment is required. Visit flysong.com/coasttocoast to enroll. All SkyMiles program rules and conditions apply. To review the rules, visit delta.com/skymiles. Please refer Song or Delta representative to: G*9706/36-24.
Old Jul 7, 05, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by vinnmann
Why didn't the Song folks just come out and state what they implied with their first response. A more honest answer would have been:

We at Song compete for the occasional leisure traveller. Our marketing studies have shown that the average leisure traveller (aka Joe Sixpack) is a complete idiot. Mr. Rssrsvp, as you are a frequent flyer, we are sure you know the type. He is the one when boarding that does not realize that row 27 comes after row 26 and before row 28 and that seat B is between seats A & C.

Due to the fact that the majority of our customers fit the aforementioned category, we have decided to keep our website 'dumbed down' so Joe Sixpack can actually book himself and his family a ticket. We undestand that savy travellers would prefer the 'old school' Sabre system for booking where you could easily get the flights in the cabin and fare class that you wanted if you knew how to work the system. However, we have found that we can sell more tickets by having a less functional but prettier booking system that someone with an IQ of 3 can operate.

Due to this, we are working on a new program in which you will be able to redeem as little as 50,000* Skymiles for a lobotomy. We believe that after the procedure, you will have enough of your brain removed that you will find the current Song website to have more than enough features and flexibility.

We appreciate you checking in with Song.

Song Guest Services

*The quality of the lobotomy varies with the actual number of Skymiles redeemed. Lobotomies not available on all dates, and may be limited. You must be a SkyMiles member to take advantage of this offer. If you are not a SkyMiles member, you may enroll now. Separate registration for this promotion is also required.

vinnmann...exactly the type of response I was mentally compiling as I read Rssrsvp's original post.
But you wrote it so well that even those of us contemplating lobotomies can understand it.
Good job.....
Old Jul 7, 05, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobertS975
I have purchased many OW tix without getting the SSSS. The only times I have received the SSSS is when something was done at the last minute, either a de novo reservation or even a last minute (within a hour or two) change to an existing reservation. I am talking even when the ticket counter tells you your planned flight is delayed or cancelled, here is your new itinerary via another hub, and lo and behold, SSSS on the BP since whatever algorithm the computer uses marks this as a last minute booking. So SONG only offering OW flights will not get you the SSSS (although I do agree that the site should offer the capability to book RT).
Robert, you are one of the lucky ones. Since 9/11, I have received an SSSS designation every time that I purchased a one way ticket in advance (none of them have been on DL or Song). Therefore, my approach is to avoid them like the plague.
Old Jul 7, 05, 8:53 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Um, I don't understand what the problem is. Since all of song's fares are one-way, what's the differnce between purchasing an open jaw and two one-way tickets (other than a few mouse-clicks)?

From what I saw of the bonus notification (and I didn't read it too carefully), it looks like you have to purchase a ROUND-TRIP on Song in order to get the bonus (A-B-A) which would mean that open jaws (A-B-C; A-B, C-A) wouldn't qualify anyway.
Old Jul 7, 05, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Um, I don't understand what the problem is. Since all of song's fares are one-way, what's the differnce between purchasing an open jaw and two one-way tickets (other than a few mouse-clicks)?

From what I saw of the bonus notification (and I didn't read it too carefully), it looks like you have to purchase a ROUND-TRIP on Song in order to get the bonus (A-B-A) which would mean that open jaws (A-B-C; A-B, C-A) wouldn't qualify anyway.
1) They do offer R/T's on their website.

2) I have purchased many R/T's in the past that are also technically open-jaws. For instance I have flown LGA-FLL-JFK that was purchased on one ticket. IMHO that is a R/T.
Old Jul 7, 05, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Desert city where Venice, Paris and NY are within walking distance
Programs: Delta and Hilton make a lot of $$ off me
Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
Robert, you are one of the lucky ones. Since 9/11, I have received an SSSS designation every time that I purchased a one way ticket in advance (none of them have been on DL or Song). Therefore, my approach is to avoid them like the plague.
I've never had an Ss for a OW either. I have had OW tickets on Song, Delta, Southwest and America West and never got the Ss. Must be OW ticket plus some other criteria that I do not meet.
Old Jul 7, 05, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Only an idiot or a totally inexperienced traveler would make this mistake. Everyone knows that if you do, you will be given a boarding pass that has the "SSSS" stamp on it which singles you out for an extensive TSA inspection.
Because of unpredictable schedules, I have been travelling exclusively on one-way tickets every week for about two months (since the routes I fly have reasonable one-way walk-up fares that equal half the roundtrip fare). I don't consider myself an idiot or a totally inexperienced traveller, and I have gotten 0 "SSSS"s on my one-way tickets. In fact, the only time I got one in the last few months was on a round-trip ticket, on an "A" fare.
Old Jul 7, 05, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MiamiBeach
Because of unpredictable schedules, I have been travelling exclusively on one-way tickets every week for about two months (since the routes I fly have reasonable one-way walk-up fares that equal half the roundtrip fare). I don't consider myself an idiot or a totally inexperienced traveller, and I have gotten 0 "SSSS"s on my one-way tickets. In fact, the only time I got one in the last few months was on a round-trip ticket, on an "A" fare.
I suggest that you spend a little time over on the TS/S forum and read up on all of the threads concerning SSSS.
Old Jul 7, 05, 1:47 pm

I suggest that you spend a little time over on the TS/S forum and read up on all of the threads concerning SSSS.
Why would that be any better than my personal experiences?

I bought a one-way ticket yesterday for travel today. I just completed on-line check-in for it, and no SSSS.
Old Jul 7, 05, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MiamiBeach
Why would that be any better than my personal experiences?

I bought a one-way ticket yesterday for travel today. I just completed on-line check-in for it, and no SSSS.
I don't intend to turn this thread into a debate on whether people do or do not receive the SSSS when they purchase one way tickets. If you haven't, consider yourself fortunate.

Perhaps you would like to comment on the main issue, which is the lack of open-jaw booking ability on Song's site?
Old Jul 7, 05, 2:12 pm

Perhaps you would like to comment on the main issue, which is the lack of open-jaw booking ability on Song's site?
I don't think it's an issue because I always book one-way tickets
Old Jul 7, 05, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
I have received SSSS on 90% of my DL tickets, including one-way, r/t A fares, and any ticket with even so much as a seat change before check-in. I have never, ever received SSSS on CO for one-ways, open jaws, last minute tickets or last minute changes. NW use to SSSS me for one-ways, but they no longer do that.

Because of this stupidity, and for other reasons more obvious to frequent DL customers, I will not fly DL unless it's my last possible option. Given I cannot earn CO eqms on Song and my status is worthless there too, flying Song offers no benefit to me except the risk of a SSSS, so that rare business will go to jetBlue.

Now as for the topic at hand - Song's response is pure sillyness. They are targeting the same market that jetBlue and Southwest go after. If you look at the other LCCs, which include jetBlue, Southwest, Airtran, and Frontier...every one of them offers an open jaw booking option, which is obviously not too complicated for those companys' 'dingbat' target customers.

Search this Thread