Best way to get bulkhead seats on Delta

Old Jul 6, 05, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Question Best way to get bulkhead seats on Delta

Since airlines (including Delta) hold bulkhead seats in order to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, they can't be selected at booking, and typically not at check-in (although I hear that it's sometimes it's possible to get them from a counter agent, depending on the airport and when the GAs open the flight).

I'm 6' 2" and use my laptop on every flight, so a normal coach seat is pretty rough. With my GM status, I usually select exit rows online at booking (or shortly thereafter), then hope for an upgrade. Except for a slight delay getting off the plane, the bulkheads have no appeal over an exit row seat (can't keep my computer bag at my feet). But now that I have a 5 month old baby, I can't use the exit rows, and having extra space is even more important. Most of my trips are still business trips with no family, but I've taken one trip with the baby and his nanny, and my wife and I will be traveling with the baby in August.

I have yet to be able to get a straight answer from agents as to the most reliable way to request bulkhead seats. I just joined the CRC, and from my one experience in there, the CRC agents might be the best solution. The agent I talked to was able to put me into the bulkhead about 2.5 hours before my flight - I had previously been told that bulkhead seats can't be assigned until the GAs open the flight - about 1 to 1.5 hours before takeoff.

So does anyone here have advice on the best strategies for obtaining a bulkhead seat on a given flight?
Old Jul 6, 05, 5:05 pm
Original Member

I know I'm sticking my neck out here, but I can't find a related topic doing a search...

I seem to recall on *some* airline thread here that when non-disabled pax get assigned to designated disability seats on the bulkhead, they may get reassigned should a disabled person require the seat.

I've seen NW seat maps that only designate something like the left side bulkhead seats for ADA-folk rather than the whole row, but I don't know if that's how it works -- or how it works -- on Delta.

Anyway, just a thought that you should maybe check out prior to snagging these seats so as to avoid any unpleasant surprises. Again, this may be a non-issue and if so, sorry.

<<Edited to add: I got more creative in my Search and did find one reference:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...86&postcount=7
>>

Last edited by hnechets; Jul 6, 05 at 5:15 pm
Old Jul 6, 05, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I have never had a problem getting a bulkhead seat on Delta when using the seat selector online. The web site does tell you though that your seat can be reassigned if someone with a disability requires that bulkhead seat.
Old Jul 6, 05, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
Originally Posted by Berto
I have never had a problem getting a bulkhead seat on Delta when using the seat selector online. The web site does tell you though that your seat can be reassigned if someone with a disability requires that bulkhead seat.
On the Delta website, I'm able to see bulkhead seats in first but not in coach. I wonder why?
Old Jul 6, 05, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
On the Delta website, I'm able to see bulkhead seats in first but not in coach. I wonder why?
You can't see them on international flights and you can't select rows that *might* be bulkheads (depending on 763 config) either. Sad and pathetic.
Old Jul 6, 05, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Thoughts

Originally Posted by PDX-RDM-AVL-TPA
Since airlines (including Delta) hold bulkhead seats in order to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, they can't be selected at booking, and typically not at check-in (although I hear that it's sometimes it's possible to get them from a counter agent, depending on the airport and when the GAs open the flight).
Although I travel extensively on Delta, and am generally happy with the airline, one thing that I wish they would change is this policy of not being able to book bulkheads/exit rows online. On UA, Prem Exec and 1K (GM & PM) are able to select all exit row and bulkhead seats online at time of booking. It is another perk for your loyalty. Of course they could move you to comply with the ADA (and I of course would happily move), but this has never happened to me in all my years of flying.
Old Jul 6, 05, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
Originally Posted by Traveling Consultant
Although I travel extensively on Delta, and am generally happy with the airline, one thing that I wish they would change is this policy of not being able to book bulkheads/exit rows online.
I am often able to book exit rows online on the 737, MD88 and CRJs (all I fly lately). I'm also able to reserve online the bulkhead on CRJs.
Old Jul 6, 05, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA Premier Silver, AA Gold, PC Gold, HH Silver, MR Silver
As far as I know, the front Y class bulkhead seats are reserved for airport check-in only. I've never been able to book a bulkead seat ahead of time.

I always get the impression that the agents hold them for special cases (i.e. handicapped, eldery).

Would be nice to book them early though.
Old Jul 6, 05, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, WN A-List, Marriott Titanium
You can book the bulkheads as a preferred seat on the CRJs. I usually like 1B or 1C on the -200 because of the placement of the wall and how you can put your feet out in the isle. I was bumped from that seat last week, ELP-SLC because of a passenger with "Special Needs". They moved me to 9A, which is yuck!

Upon boarding I noticed that the person in my seat was actually not the special needs passenger, but his girlfriend. The person with special needs appeared to have a broken leg, and sat not in my seat, but in 1D. Kind of annoying, because why did he need that seat anyway? 1D has less room because you cannot stick your leg out as far as other seats because the wall is in the way. He would have been better off in 2D than 1D.

Had I been asked, I would have felt much better, or if they would have at least tried to give me another isle seat. But no, I was paged upon boarding saying they had re-assigned me. I guess they don't technically have to ask, but it's kind of a kick in the face
Old Jul 7, 05, 9:38 am

You're nice enough to move, but....

Originally Posted by Traveling Consultant
Although I travel extensively on Delta, and am generally happy with the airline, one thing that I wish they would change is this policy of not being able to book bulkheads/exit rows online. On UA, Prem Exec and 1K (GM & PM) are able to select all exit row and bulkhead seats online at time of booking. It is another perk for your loyalty. Of course they could move you to comply with the ADA (and I of course would happily move), but this has never happened to me in all my years of flying.
You make perfect sense, and a nice guy like you would move for a disabled person, but do you know how many selfish people wouldn't budge for a disabled person. It would probably be sickening to think of a number.
Old Jul 7, 05, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Like others have said, I too can see bulkhead seats on RJs. I can also see just about any exit row seat in coach. I have always been able to select the bulkheads in FC when I get an upgrade or purchase a FC ticket.

It's the coach bulkheads on full size airplanes (MD88s, 737s, 767s) that I've never seen available.

I'm intrigued by Berto's comment, that he can book bulkheads on delta.com but they warn that he could be bumped.

As for the reason why FC bulkheads are available, but coach one's generally aren't, I think this has to do with how the ADA works. Airlines are required to accommodate those with disabilities, but they probably are not required to provide premium cabin seats.
Old Jul 7, 05, 11:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
It's the coach bulkheads on full size airplanes (MD88s, 737s, 767s) that I've never seen available.
I know that at the end of this past May I was assigned bulkheads in coach on the 767-300 and on the 767-200. I was seated in the second coach cabin. Now the bulkheads in first coach cabin on these planes have never been available to me as they are Medallion seats and are usually picked over by the time I buy my ticket anyways. The bulkheads in coach usually go quickly, so the sooner you can buy your ticket the better.

I just went to my next itinerary and this is what it says below the seat selection tool:
Delta accommodates the seating requirements of customers with certain types of disabilities. This could result in the occasional need to change another individual's pre-assigned seat, with bulkhead seats being particularly subject to reassignment. We appreciate your cooperation in these special circumstances.

Search this Thread