Goodbye 24 Hr Courteous Hold

Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 2MM, PM, Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Diamond,
Goodbye 24 Hr Courteous Hold

It was just announced to reservationists at Delta today that beginning Monday, 18, July Delta will no longer offer a 24 hr courteous hold. They will be joining the ranks of United & others in charging you at the point of contact and then allow you to cancel anytime within 24 hrs. at no charge.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by splash
It was just announced to reservationists at Delta today that beginning Monday, 18, July Delta will no longer offer a 24 hr courteous hold. They will be joining the ranks of United & others in charging you at the point of contact and then allow you to cancel anytime within 24 hrs. at no charge.
How long until it becomes a cancellation with some of your money back (i.e., without a refund of the booking fees)?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:16 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
If this is true, it is actually better for me in some ways. I make almost all my reservations at delta.com (especially now that there is a fee for using a human). I've been annoyed with the fact that I can't hold a reservation online. Over at continental.com (where I booked to itineraries this weekend to places where I can't get to on Delta without a stopover), I've enjoyed being able to hold a reservation for 24 hours. To hold a reservation for a Delta flight, I've had to pay the booking fee if I do decide to purchase.

With this new policy, I assume that if I book a flight online at delta.com, I can cancel for a refund within 24 hours. Hopefully they'll allow the cancellation online too, but even if they don't, I'm not complaining.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:23 am
Suspended

Guess what. They will apparently start this in July 18 and they will automatically charge your card at the time of reservation. So even if you cancel within 24 hours, your funds will be tied up. I am sorry but when we book several people on a given card and have a change of plans for business class tickets this is going to tie up a lot of money in the credit/charge line. And the booking fees will not be refundable.

I do have to give Delta credit for finding ways to get customers to float them money interest free. That's basically what this does.

Update: the booking fees will apparently be refundable too. But who knows yet.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 6, 2005 at 8:36 am
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
If I understand the OP correctly, this is yet another change to the new rules that were announced to FTers on June 25th. Here's the link discussing that announcement.

Last edited by DLfan; Jul 6, 2005 at 9:14 am
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Not really a bad deal. Though I rarely would have trouble with a 'held" ticket, it has been know to happen. And, I think there was usually a problem doing seats/upgrades until it was ACTUALLY ticketed.

With this plan, you KNOW you have the seat if you want it. If you don't, then cancel it.

So what if some money is tied up? For most of us, we do not even have to pay it off for a few weeks. And how much money is DL really getting in interest free money vs the hassles it is causing them?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:38 pm

how are they going to deal with voucher users?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Not really a bad deal. Though I rarely would have trouble with a 'held" ticket, it has been know to happen. And, I think there was usually a problem doing seats/upgrades until it was ACTUALLY ticketed.

With this plan, you KNOW you have the seat if you want it. If you don't, then cancel it.

So what if some money is tied up? For most of us, we do not even have to pay it off for a few weeks. And how much money is DL really getting in interest free money vs the hassles it is causing them?
For us, upwards of $70,000 would have been tied up if this was the policy today (presuming this is applicable for international tickets??? ) .... and then another $70,000+ when everyone was booked on a different route to the same country today. Charging and refunding money will be a hassle for Delta, but if they are taking lessons from British Airways, it won't be long before they eat our money at the time of booking and at the time of cancellation/refund -- regardless of the fare paid.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 6, 2005 at 3:54 pm
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I really don't see what this gets DL except more hassles. I often make a reservation for flights and do not ticket the reservation while I sort out land arrangements etc. If I failed to call and ticket, the reservation would simply disappear. I sure would hate to be trying to get through to reservations to cancel something on some major travel disruption day, like a snowstorm of ATL thinderstorms.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jetcity405
how are they going to deal with voucher users?

I had the same question. With DL Dollars it has been the rule of thumb that you put your flights on hold and then go to the airport and have it ticketed. Without the courtesy hold this will make things alot more difficult. unless they plan on making all vouchers available for use on the website.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Another "enhancement" that we asked for, no doubt. It would seem that little has changed from the Leo Mullin days.

I just need a single transcon RT to make PM under the new rules. And do you know what? I'm not in the least bit excited or in a hurry to make it happen.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:24 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 2:14 pm
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vinnmann
FWIW, in Feb I purchased an international YEE fare, and later didn't need to go. I requested the refund, and the next day it appeared on my AMEX sans $100. I e-mailed Customer Care, and they said that I was correct that there should be no cancellation fee, and the next day there was a $100 credit.

For the guy with $70000 worth of tickets, these sound like full J tickets. Why not have then change your flights rather than cancel and rebook? Then you only pay (or get credited) the fare difference.
Don't know if if was full J or not, but in any event we ended up booking away from DL (and to a different city in the same country). Even if the funds from one ticket were applied to another, is there any benefit of having DL book us on another carrier (at that, non-SkyTeam flights which gets us in during the morning rather than at night)? The only thing I can see coming from DL booking us on a non-SkyTeam carrier, if that is possible, is a downside need to try to deal with DL when at an airport they don't fly to/from themselves.

When we go shopping for several people to fly at once, the process is often to put tickets on hold, get an ok from those flying and then purchasing. Sometimes we shop around thereafter at the suggestion of those flying, and the suggestions made involve not flying with DL or a SkyTeam airline.

I am glad to hear you got your $100 cancellation fee back. However, I wonder how many of those $100 cancellation fees DL keeps from unaware customers or those who make a mistake?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 7, 2005 at 2:34 am
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MCI777
I had the same question. With DL Dollars it has been the rule of thumb that you put your flights on hold and then go to the airport and have it ticketed. Without the courtesy hold this will make things alot more difficult. unless they plan on making all vouchers available for use on the website.
The memo that DL reservation supervisors have on this matter may have also covered the use of vouchers and certificates. Call up and ask. A friendly agent won't mind going over the memo with you while over the phone.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The memo that DL reservation supervisors have on this matter may have also covered the use of vouchers and certificates. Call up and ask. A friendly agent won't mind going over the memo with you while over the phone.

Good idea. I actually was on the phone with an agent when I originally read this and I casually asked about this change. She didnt have much info on it at all. She said she had heard something about it but training on it wasnt until later in the month.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.