DL 95 BCN-JFK Pulls Up Short

Old Jul 4, 05, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
DL 95 BCN-JFK Pulls Up Short

July 03 (Sunday) DL 95 BCN-JFK was apparently aiming for BOS right out of the departure gate due to crew rest/duty issues, but ending up putting down in Bangor, Maine. The flight spent only an hour in BGR where apparently a fresh crew was flown up to meet the flight and continue onward to JFK. Apparently the crew was flown up to BGR on an otherwise empty B737.
I am not sure of the many details, but apparently this flight was dispatched from BCN with only 2 pilots instead of the usual 3, limiting the length of the flight to 8 hours according to duty/rest regs and rules.

Perhaps those with access to DL computers could shed more light on this interesting saga. Pulling up short on a trans-Atlantic flight because of crew rest rules (if that is in fact the case) would be a new one for me!
Old Jul 4, 05, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
According to a DL insider over at airliners.net, the crew had worked ATL-JFK-BCN on Friday July 1 (instead of just JFK-BCN); the extra leg, coupled with the delays experienced at JFK on that day due to the weather, DL knew ahead of time that there would be crew legality issues on the return. That's why the BOS stop was scheduled on the return flight on July 3. However, due to strong headwinds on July 3 between BCN and JFK, they had to stop at BGR instead. In the end, DL95 only arrived JFK about 1hr 33 minutes late; not bad considering the situation.
Old Jul 4, 05, 5:42 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, DL Silver, IHG Platinum
Dumb Question(s)

Why an empty 737 just to get a crew up there? Did Delta need to reposition the 737? I would have thought there'd be a more economical option.

What happens if the original crew forges on? FAA fines? Delta executive prison time?
Old Jul 4, 05, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by sipples
Why an empty 737 just to get a crew up there? Did Delta need to reposition the 737? I would have thought there'd be a more economical option.
They didn't need to reposition the 737 to BGR. Now presumably they could have run a special section flight out of there on the return if they needed it. Otherwise, they could have flown the crew through BOS on scheduled service....which makes you wonder if the crew was already in BOS, why that wasn't an option.
Old Jul 4, 05, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

There is no crew base in BOS any longer, so here is my speculation... a JFK based crew flies up to BOS from LGA on the Shuttle to meet the flight and relieve the original crew. The plane pulls up short in BGR instead of BOS, and DL dispatch orders the relief crew to BGR via a DL shuttle 737. No DL connection flights are scheduled BOS-BGR between 9AM and 3:18 PM.

Purely speculation.
Old Jul 5, 05, 2:34 am

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
Originally Posted by RobertS975
There is no crew base in BOS any longer, so here is my speculation... a JFK based crew flies up to BOS from LGA on the Shuttle to meet the flight and relieve the original crew. The plane pulls up short in BGR instead of BOS, and DL dispatch orders the relief crew to BGR via a DL shuttle 737. No DL connection flights are scheduled BOS-BGR between 9AM and 3:18 PM.
Purely speculation.
IF that's anywhere close to being the case.....there are undoubtedly a number of charter/air taxi operations at BOS. And I bet ALL of them would be cheaper than flying a 737 up to BGR.

IF so, someone decided to spend a lot more of DL's dwindling cash than was necessary. Another example of prudent fiscal management???

I'm willing to get a different explanation.
Old Jul 5, 05, 6:57 am
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I wonder what happened to the third pilot which caused this entire scenerio?
Old Jul 5, 05, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mill Creek Don
IF that's anywhere close to being the case.....there are undoubtedly a number of charter/air taxi operations at BOS. And I bet ALL of them would be cheaper than flying a 737 up to BGR.

IF so, someone decided to spend a lot more of DL's dwindling cash than was necessary. Another example of prudent fiscal management???

I'm willing to get a different explanation.
Time was of the essence here. There was no time to arrange a biz jet charter, which would take at least an hour. The DL flight was basically met in BGR by the new crew as it spent only an hour on the ground there before proceeding to JFK. That would be the minimum time to refuel the 767-300 for its onward journey to JFK. (Yes, a fairly decent amount of fuel would have been needed to make the journey to JFK.)

This aircraft arrived at JFK in time to probably become the aircraft for an outbound departure in the later bank of international departures... so by sending the crew up to BGR in the fastest (not cheapest) possible way, DL took care of the needs of the pax on the affected flight #95 as well as the flight out of JFK that required this aircraft, as well as the next day's flight out of whatever European destination that this aircraft eventually went to.

No, the last thing one can do is criticize DL for using a deadhead 737 to make this all happen.
Old Jul 5, 05, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Here is a DL Insider Explanation:

"DL95/03JUL made a planned stop in BGR due to crew legality issues. The aircraft was scheduled to make a stop in BOS for a replacement crew, but strong enroute winds lengthened the flight and a stop in BGR became necessary. The replacement crew was flown up on DL9905, a 733 Shuttle doing nothing, from BOS. The BGR stop was decided about 11:00am, about 90 minutes after the previous scheduled BOSBGR flight and the next one wasn't until later that afternoon. The ferry flight minimized the delay as DL95 only spent just over an hour on the ground.
The reason for the crew legality issues was because of IROPs at JFK on Friday 01JUL. The BCN crew on that day originated in ATL where typically International flight crews originate in the gateway city. The added flight leg was the contributing factor to the crews flight time being cut as JFKBCNJFK only operates with a 2 man flight crew.

The passengers did leave BCN with the knowledge they were making a stop in BOS to get a new flight crew."

Actually, I think DL TOC (Technical Operations Center) deserves applause for orchestrating this entire operation, and the end result is that the plane landed JFK only 90 minutes late, and in plenty of time to make an onward flight out of JFK close to ontime.

Last edited by RobertS975; Jul 5, 05 at 8:23 am
Old Jul 5, 05, 8:44 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Very poor planning by DL IMHO.
Old Jul 5, 05, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
Well, then we agree to disagree. Rather than cancelling at least two trans-Atlantic flights (one in each direction) and messing up the long-planned vacations of hundreds, DL figured out a way to get everybody to where they were going without significant delay. What happened was far better than showing up in the airport at BCN and being told your flight #95 was cancelled due to crew rest rules. Not to mention the flight out of JFK to some European destination that would have been cancelled due to lack of an inbound aircraft!
Old Jul 5, 05, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM
Just how is this poor planning?
Old Jul 5, 05, 9:18 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 07 at 3:13 pm
Old Jul 5, 05, 10:07 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by SNAGuy
Just how is this poor planning?

What was the explanation of the 3rd pilot not making the trip? If he was sick then I understand that it was the only way to bring the flight back.
Old Jul 5, 05, 10:13 am

What was the explanation of the 3rd pilot not making the trip?
Apparently there is no third pilot: "...as JFKBCNJFK only operates with a 2 man flight crew."

Search this Thread