Wiki Posts
Search

First to HNL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2005, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
First to HNL

I know that DL is not known for its great FC service to HNL; however, the price is definitely right compared to most carriers. Can anyone tell me how seat comfort and meals are on the CVG-HNL or ATL-HNL flights? How about the bulkhead seats? I did look at seat guru but it was only minimally helpful.
Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2005, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Originally Posted by Seth
I know that DL is not known for its great FC service to HNL; however, the price is definitely right compared to most carriers. Can anyone tell me how seat comfort and meals are on the CVG-HNL or ATL-HNL flights? How about the bulkhead seats? I did look at seat guru but it was only minimally helpful.
Thanks!

I've done the 764 in F many times LAX-ATL and I couldn't imagine being on it longer than 4 hrs. Having said that, 7E/7F most definitely have the most legroom (if not blocked for crew rest). The bulkheads are OK -- I've had 3A, 2E/2F and they are satisfactory. The real problem is the cramped feeling. Of course, I thought 764F was great until I was spoiled to Business Elite. So, I guess, if I were you, I would trust Seatguru and pick the best of the worst seats they have. No matter how you slice it, it's still better than Coach!!! Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by N808DE; Jun 29, 2005 at 4:46 pm
Old Jun 29, 2005, 7:14 pm

see

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...&highlight=ogg
Old Jun 29, 2005, 7:25 pm

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
Stay away from the ATL-HNL or HNL-ATL flights if at all possible, even if flying FC. A true bummer in terms of comfort.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seth
Thanks!
Yeah, I've flown the CVG to HNL in first, and well, it's far from business Elite. I would think on an 8+ hour flight, Delta could do much better. The food was good, but the seat comfort could be better. If I remember correctly row 7 on the right side of the aircraft is the best (extra legroom). Either way, just landing in Hawaii is the best part! ^
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by drivinfast
Yeah, I've flown the CVG to HNL in first, and well, it's far from business Elite. I would think on an 8+ hour flight, Delta could do much better. The food was good, but the seat comfort could be better. If I remember correctly row 7 on the right side of the aircraft is the best (extra legroom). Either way, just landing in Hawaii is the best part! ^
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Yes, 7E and 7F on a 764 is a LOT better than all of the other seats. But you aren't going to get them on CVG-HNL or even ATL-HNL because they are reserved for crew rest. That is why they are much better. LAX-HNL doesn't require crew rest seats, so you can land those on that route.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
7E/F are great and we always grab them when we can.

However, Seth will not be able to get them flying from either CVG or ATL to HNL, so it's a moot point. They are reserved for crew rest on flights over some number (6, 7, 8???) of hours. My wife and I go to Hawaii yearly and I would recommend 2E/F, 3A/B or 1C/D (these are all bulkhead), in that order. Bulkhead is best because of the really tight pitch on that plane, in the way DAL configured the FC cabin. The middle ones (1C/D) are my least favorite of the bulkhead choices. You almost feel like they are in the galley, and everyone is constantly passing you on the way there or to the bathrooms. If you don't put "stuff" on the floor in front of you (the one time we were in them we put our carry-ons there right after take-off), some folks may actually try to cut across in front of you from the E/F side on the way to the bathrooms (that's been commented on in previous threads on this topic). 2E/F and 3 A/B are more private and I like having the windows for that long of a flight--better natural flight, etc.

In general, I think folks make FC on the 764 seem far worse than it really is. I agree that it could have been designed by DAL much better than it was but let's get real. I've heard people refer to it as "torture." Torture was an American Civil War soldier trying to rest at night, lying in a trench filled with the blood of his fallen kin and comrades, freezing temperatures or boiling hot, little or no food or water, the stench of death everywhere, and enemy picketts and sharpshotters taking pot shots at you if you raise your head. Torture was the Spanish Inquisition, being a "guest" in the Tower of London, or living in Iraq the last decade or two, etc (to name just a few examples). Take any of those folks and plop them down in a FC seat on a 764 and see if they would think of that as torture.

Regardless of where you sit, you're going to be on the plane for a few hours and then you'll be in Hawaii. Now how bad can that possibly be? We love it there, especially hiking in the Volcano area of The Big Island and the north shore of Kauai (Hanalei and beyond).

Last edited by atl runner; Jun 30, 2005 at 5:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.