Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bulkhead Seats and a Car Seat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Bulkhead Seats and a Car Seat

We are travelling on a Delta 777 with our 18 month old and a carseat. We would like to try to get the bulkhead seats if possible. Since the armrests do not go up on these seats, is there any issue with trying to get the seatbelt buckled and tightened? We have a Cosco Tourvia so I know it will fit, but I am just wondering about the whole strapping in the seat issue.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:17 pm

There's plenty of room in the cargo hold...

Originally Posted by mattgoolsby
We are travelling on a Delta 777 with our 18 month old and a carseat. We would like to try to get the bulkhead seats if possible. Since the armrests do not go up on these seats, is there any issue with trying to get the seatbelt buckled and tightened? We have a Cosco Tourvia so I know it will fit, but I am just wondering about the whole strapping in the seat issue.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:40 pm

Are you sure your seat will fit a bulkhead seat? We travel with a sit'n'stroll and it will not fit in bulkhead seats but is fine otherwise.

They always have extenders so the belt will not be an issue.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:34 pm

Programs: NWA Silver
Originally Posted by mattgoolsby
We are travelling on a Delta 777 with our 18 month old and a carseat. We would like to try to get the bulkhead seats if possible. ...
Delta's Rugrat and House Ape Seating page on their web site says not to pick bulkhead seats "...when the car seat is a combination car seat and stroller". I'm not really sure what that is. We have had two seats for our now 18mo old house ape and one was the detachable infant seat that attached into the stroller and now a larger car seat that I'm quite sure would still fit in bulkhead. See this page for more info:

http://www.delta.com/travel/special_...ting/index.jsp

Also, the parent page has more info about travelling with the kiddies:

http://www.delta.com/travel/special_...dren/index.jsp

We'll be travelling with our houseape in the near future and I was considering purchasing a seat for him so that we could use the car seat but I'm not really sure how much extra protection it would give him over just belting him into the seat. I guess the only thing that it might help for would be some extremely violent turbulence.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:10 pm

I don't think I have ever heard a child called a house ape before.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:25 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I would suggest leaving the car seat at home, or check it if you need it in a car at the destination. I bolded "car" because it's called a "car seat" for a reason -- it is designed to withstand the forces of a car crash. It is not designed to withstand the forces of an airplane crash; well, considering the forces involved, nothing will, although a seat belt might come in handy.

An 18 month old in a seat by himself with a seat belt will be perfectly fine. Heck, you could hold the child and still have a 99.99999999% chance of surviving, but the separate seat may be more comfortable and provide a 99.999999995% chance of survival. ^
Old Jun 23, 2005, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Actually, many car seats are approved by the FAA for aircraft use. There is usually a sticker on the seat which states this.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
A car seat is better than the parent holding the kid.

Normal car seats should fit fine, but those fancy combination things are another story.

A real pet peeve of mine is parents with those 4 wheel drive humvee type strollers. Doesn't everybody know that for under $20 you can get those WONDERFUL umbrellas strollers that fit EVERYPLACE and are easy to carry?

Also, to the comment about a house ape, the appropriate term is a two legged snot machine.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:28 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
A car seat is better than the parent holding the kid.

Normal car seats should fit fine, but those fancy combination things are another story.

A real pet peeve of mine is parents with those 4 wheel drive humvee type strollers. Doesn't everybody know that for under $20 you can get those WONDERFUL umbrellas strollers that fit EVERYPLACE and are easy to carry?

I take it you've never tried to haul some stuff and a child in a cheapie stroller on a sidewalk that isn't perfectly level?
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:10 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 10:01 am
Old Jun 25, 2005, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Besides, many kids will simply fall asleep when strapped into their car seats.

Several years ago, the FAA commissioned a study to explore whether they should do away with the under age 2 lap child rules and mandate that all infants be properly restrained with a car seat The Iowa DC10 crash and several others were used as examples.

In the end, they did not change the rules for lap children, as we all know. The study claimed an interesting unintended consequence... that by requiring all infants to be ticketed, a higher percentage of families would make automobile trips instead of plane trips in order to save $$. Because of the extraordinary safety of air travel, they calculated that more children would die while taking these lengthy auto trips than would die in the rare airplane incidents. In other words, by mandating that infants be ticketed and seated on aircraft, they would actually cause more infants to be killed.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta - PM; Marriott - Gold; Hilton - Silver
vinnmann is right on!
Both my daughter and son have flown using their car seats and we've never had any trouble with them wanting to get out and walk around...why...because they know that when they're in their car seat they can't get out - they don't even ask! They're used to falling asleep in them anyway when we take long car trips (1+ hrs) and end up sleeping most of the flight. My wife and I have seen so many kids not in a car seat that can't sit still for 1 hour on a plane, but I'm sure that they do when in a car. It's not about a plane crash why you buy them a ticket and bring the car seat, it's about keeping sanity on board during the flight and being respectfull of the passengers around you. Yeah it can be a pain lugging two car seats, two strollers (umbrella), four carry-ons, and two kids through an airport - but at least the flight is less stressful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.