Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta SUCKS for award travel in Europe.. HELP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat
If Skymiles are redeemed for AF/KL flights, DL "owes" AF/KL mileage seats on DL (or cash) as compensation. DL would rather limit this and sell those seats instead given the high load factors.
I see, thanks. Still seems like a bad move to me.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I just booked 3 Skysaver seats from ATL to CDG for March. Not my first choice of destinations, not my first choice of dates, but Spring Break is just a week and we had to go somewhere. GIG, EZE, AMS and SVO were also available.

After burning 420,000 miles in the last year, my balance is now 10,680.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flytoeat
If Skymiles are redeemed for AF/KL flights, DL "owes" AF/KL mileage seats on DL (or cash) as compensation. DL would rather limit this and sell those seats instead given the high load factors.
DL's high load factors at relatively low prices (given that the airlines complain about low prices given "excess capacity"/"competition")? If so, then would that not imply that DL values a little bit of short-term cash infusion (or "stop the cash drain") than retaining the satisfaction of some (or many) of its long-term (and perhaps most savvy) customers?
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I think way too many people are reading way too much into DL's statement on the "blackout". Probably DL shoulda used different wording, but I read it as DL had already awarded all it could for the summer months (no surprise that seats run out at peak travel times) and had stopped taking reservations or waitlisting people on flights that they knew they would never get. Lots of people DID get travel awards to Europe for the summer and now the supply is exhausted. It happens. Move on.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:56 am

Programs: UAL
One reason Delta may not want to award more award seats to Europe might be the high airfares.

For instance, from Phx to Istanbul, the airfare in July was around $1200 in the last couple of years, but this year the airfare is around $1500-1600. So they can make more money , and Delta is entitled to do this. It may help them to ease their financial situation.

After reading most of the messages it seems if I call at the right time and talk to an experienced representative, then I can secure an award ticket.

Have a good weekend

Last edited by mnkaynak; Jun 17, 2005 at 12:09 pm
Old Jun 17, 2005, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by ecaarch
I think way too many people are reading way too much into DL's statement on the "blackout". Probably DL shoulda used different wording, but I read it as DL had already awarded all it could for the summer months (no surprise that seats run out at peak travel times) and had stopped taking reservations or waitlisting people on flights that they knew they would never get. Lots of people DID get travel awards to Europe for the summer and now the supply is exhausted. It happens. Move on.
Actually, AF and KL tend to have some of the best late availibility for Europe, so losing them is a major blow.

Also, losing the connecting flights to places that DL doesn't fly to anymore in Europe is another major blow.

And...the supply on AF/KL is NOT exhausted if you are using CO Onepass or NW Worldperks miles!!!!! Only DL kicked its best customers in the ... this way.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:01 pm

3-4 months in advance of a November departure to Europe is VERY different from 3-4 months in advance of February departure.

So then I should expect to be able to get a j seat to DUB ex LAX in October ( 7 months in advance). Correct?

Nothing at all on any ST airline combination into DUB

best they could do was into MAN and back from LGW with me having to pick up the tab from UK to DUB r/t and having to overnight in LGW

Does not seem too great to me!
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:19 pm

Unfortunately that's what happens when you don't word the statement properly. If what you're saying is correct, then DL should have said such.

Old Jun 18, 2005, 2:18 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 1:52 pm
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by aceflyer2
Unfortunately that's what happens when you don't word the statement properly. If what you're saying is correct, then DL should have said such.
I agree. This was a very bad PR move. Either they have the availability but simply would rather make people pay (doesn't go over well with customers!) or they just made it sound like that. I'm sure it would be much better received if they simply made an announcement that all award seats on the partners have already been booked and that there is no availability until September. But this whole "we could give you a seat but don't want to" business is bad publicity. Very poor long-term decision, IMO.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:44 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by aceflyer2

Link to the statement, please?
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by vinnmann
My calendar shows that October is 4 months from now.

yeh but 3 months ago it was 7 months out
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by eireman
yeh but 3 months ago it was 7 months out
Well, 2 months ago it was only 6 months out but if you go back 5 months it was 10 months out.
That is unless you counted the other direction and then it would be 2 months in.
Waiting until next month, we're only looking at 3 months out or 9 months in depending on whether one looks forward or backward.
Hope this clears up the situation......
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:37 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 1:52 pm
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Cholula
Well, 2 months ago it was only 6 months out but if you go back 5 months it was 10 months out.
That is unless you counted the other direction and then it would be 2 months in.
Waiting until next month, we're only looking at 3 months out or 9 months in depending on whether one looks forward or backward.
Hope this clears up the situation......
This confirms my previous suspicions that Cholula is a mess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.