Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Putting a computer case in your checked baggage?

Old Jun 3, 05, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

I am thinking of using a Samsonite luggage to take my computer with me to Germany. My case is pretty big, and weighs about 54 lbs, assuming the luggage itself doesn't weigh more than 16 lbs, I should be within the weight limit. The question is, do you think the computer will be fine if I put lots of bubble wrapping around it or the baggage handlers can break it even with the bubble wrapping? I know its risky but just thinking about it I am flying in the F cabin if that makes any difference.
Old Jun 3, 05, 1:22 pm

Programs: HH DIA, DL GLD
You're very trusting if you just packed it as-is: I would take all the components out - anti-static bag 'em and them bubble-wrap each individually. Who cares if you're case gets dinged - it's the mb, hard drive, vid-card etc. that costs the real $$$
Old Jun 3, 05, 1:28 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
i would carry it on at all costs. I travel with 2 laptops for work and the one time i checked a laptop it was never found again. and even if it does make it its not woth the risk to have that expensive of a paper wait if it breaks.
Old Jun 3, 05, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
The DL site says, "Delta is not responsible or liable for cash, camera equipment, commercial effects, computer software and equipment, electronic equipment, fragile articles, jewelry, lifesaving medication, negotiable papers, irreplaceable business documents, works of art or other similar valuable items contained in checked or unchecked baggage. These items should be carried by the passenger."

I would not take a chance. In addition you are limited to the International Liability Limit (governed by the Warsaw Convention) for your other checked items: $9.07 per lb. up to $640 per bag (U.S. Dollars) unless you purchase extra insurance at checkin.
Old Jun 3, 05, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Sounds like I'll have to ebay it cause as much as I love the case (its a liquid cooled $300 case), its too big to take it on the plane as a carry on. Thanks again.
Old Jun 3, 05, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by xiety
Sounds like I'll have to ebay it
I think that you meant to say Fedex it.
Old Jun 3, 05, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
I think that you meant to say Fedex it.
See, I much rather pay Fedex rather than eBay (assuming I sell this thing for $1500, I would pay at least $150 on eBay & paypal fees) and keep my computer, but I am not sure how the customs work. I don't know if I will need to pay customs fees.
Old Jun 3, 05, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
You can do it. Get a pelican...

I've travelled all sorts of very expensive equipment all over the world and (knock on wood) never lost anything.

Get a hard side pelican or similar case that has customizeable foam padding and it'll be fine.

You're absolutely right not to try to fedex it, as customs will kill you.

Try a photo supply store like www.bhphoto.com. They have very good prices on very serious quality cases.

Last edited by remyontheroad; Jun 4, 05 at 6:18 am Reason: to correct URL
Old Jun 3, 05, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
I've travelled all sorts of very expensive equipment all over the world and (knock on wood) never lost anything.

Get a hard side pelican or similar case that has customizeable foam padding and it'll be fine.

You're absolutely right not to try to fedex it, as customs will kill you.

Try a photo supply store like www.bh.com. They have very good prices on very serious quality cases.
Argh, this is exactly what I was afraid of. Customs. I don't understand why regular people (not businesses) have to pay customs fees on personal items.... bah. My case is really big, so I doubt I can find any hard cases that it will fit in. Here is the case and I have watercooling installed in it: http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...1+CM%20Stacker
Old Jun 3, 05, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL SM
I used to be a baggage handler at the airport in TLV 15 years ago. Your computer won't make it . Just so you know, the heavier the suitcase was, the harder it got thrown in the container.
I build my own computers so I know how hard it is to let one go, but the components are just not built to tolerate the kind of abuse they will receive.
Old Jun 3, 05, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBMWanderer
I used to be a baggage handler at the airport in TLV 15 years ago. Your computer won't make it . Just so you know, the heavier the suitcase was, the harder it got thrown in the container.
I build my own computers so I know how hard it is to let one go, but the components are just not built to tolerate the kind of abuse they will receive.
Thanks for the honest response Damn What are some good websites to sell a computer on? I know Craigslist.com and eBay but that's about it....
Old Jun 4, 05, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look, you always have a chance of it getting busted, but in reality I have travelled with desktops well insulated in my check in bags many times and nothing has happened. The question is whether you can handle the damage if it does occur as no airline will take responsibility (In my case(s) it was always that the computer or components I was bringing back from the US were something like 80% cheaper than where I was going, hence it was worth the risk).
Old Jun 4, 05, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by xiety
Argh, this is exactly what I was afraid of. Customs. I don't understand why regular people (not businesses) have to pay customs fees on personal items.... bah. My case is really big, so I doubt I can find any hard cases that it will fit in. Here is the case and I have watercooling installed in it: http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...1+CM%20Stacker
Hey,

that is a big case.

I'm actually just posting to point out that I corrected the link in my last post. It should have been www.bhphoto.com .

I think you could get it there safely if you were detemined, but you have to do what you are comfortable with.

In any case, you could most certainly "find a case that will fit it" if you looked....but then of course you'd have to figure out what to do with a $3-400 enormous hard side padded case once you're done with it.

Maybe you could sell it on E-bay, or Craig's List.
Old Jun 4, 05, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*
Your a brave soul with the sticky fingers of the TSA and baggage handlers. After losing a few items to "someone" in checked unlocked baggage I carry on at all costs.
Old Jun 4, 05, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I would never give my computer to anyone, not even my grandmother to carry over from one place to another.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: