No award travel on AF/KL from 01JUN-31AUG 2005

Old May 7, 05, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
No award travel on AF/KL from 01JUN-31AUG 2005

Effective yesterday, Delta is no longer accepting reservation requests for travel on Air France and KLM during the peak summer period.

This blackout period applies from June 1st, 2005 until August 31st, 2005 and to all classes of service (=coach, business and first class).

Existing award reservations for travel on AF/KL will be honored, but no changes will be allowed.
Old May 7, 05, 8:59 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by rcs85551
Effective yesterday, Delta is no longer accepting reservation requests for travel on Air France and KLM during the peak summer period.

This blackout period applies from June 1st, 2005 until August 31st, 2005 and to all classes of service (=coach, business and first class).

Existing award reservations for travel on AF/KL will be honored, but no changes will be allowed.
I have an award ticket on hold but have not booked it. Does this mean that it will not be honored?
Old May 7, 05, 9:19 am

I had a similar issue on an open jaw KE ticket from ICN to HKT and BKK to ICN in August. I made the reservation but hadn't ticketed. When I called back I was told that July 21-Aug 21 were blackouts for KE if not originating in the US. Needless to say I was displeased. I had changed a couple of other reservations based upon the understanding that I would be able to ticket this route. The first agent absolutely refused to honor the DL reservation and told me she was going to delete it. I asked to speak with a supervisor, who called KE and was able to get an exception. She did tell me that the exception would not be honored if the ticket was changed.
Old May 7, 05, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
There is some good news in this policy.

You and DL agents will no longer be wasting time trying to find seats that do not exist.
Old May 7, 05, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL MM, AA PP, AS 100K, UA PP
This rediculous. Combined with KE's long-standing summer blackout, and the year-round unavailability of SQ awards, there is now almost no way to get to about three-quarters of the world using DL SkyMiles.

Does a similar black out exist for NW-coded KL operated flights?
Old May 7, 05, 12:20 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 07 at 12:37 pm
Old May 7, 05, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it's absolutely stupid

because it rules out all flights, even regional connecting ones...Say you want to do an itin like BOG-OPO...You've got no way of crossing the pond before connecting and you have to go via the USA (hassle)...You manage to find a flight from BOG to the US and another one to somewhere in Europe.... but AZ and OK don't fly to OPO, so the best you can hope is an AZ to LIS...If you do manage to find availability on this, too, you will have connected 3 times and still need another flight or a few hours on the train before reaching your destination. that's instead of a simple CDG connection.
How convenient.
Old May 7, 05, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by Evan!
I have an award ticket on hold but have not booked it. Does this mean that it will not be honored?
Unticketed reservations made before 06MAY2005 will be honored. Make sure you call back within your hold period to have it issued, no extensions to the hold period will be made!
Old May 7, 05, 3:54 pm

did this happen last year too?

also bummed to hear about these blackout dates...

does anyone know whether these blackout dates were in effect last year as well? or is something new?

also, as potential departure dates come closer, any thoughts whether they may release seats for award travel?

other airlines that also partner with these european carriers (nw, co).. are their programs subject to the blackout dates as well?

thx
Old May 7, 05, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

1) They didn't have this blackout period in the past.
2) It is a blackout period, meaning that regarless of seat availability, no SkyMiles award travel will be permitted on AF/KL (unless you already have your reservation and do not make any changes). So if AF/KL release additional seats (what they usually do), it does not matter...
Old May 7, 05, 5:07 pm

I hope I'm not appearing ignorant but aside from this post, is this new blackout date information on the delta site or was this announced elsewhere?
Old May 7, 05, 11:20 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Does this blackout apply only to DL trying to get rewards, or does it apply to all SkyTeam members (CO, NW, etc)?
Old May 8, 05, 2:25 am
Original Poster

The blackout applies if you want to redeem Delta SkyMiles for travel on Air France or KLM.
Old May 8, 05, 9:06 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Aircfo
I hope I'm not appearing ignorant but aside from this post, is this new blackout date information on the delta site or was this announced elsewhere?
Perhaps rcs85551 is being modest and not insisting that he knows what he's talking about, but he has consistently provided good early information about DL.

He may work for them. I don't remember if he's ever said so (or if he's really a "he," come to think of it), but I think that for some reason.

In any case, his has always proven good. I'd count on it.

Here's another question though... can you still get codeshare seats? DL on AF or CO/NW on KL?

Presumably that is still DL/CO/NW inventory and still under their control as to what they do with them, right?

Last edited by remyontheroad; May 8, 05 at 9:37 am
Old May 8, 05, 11:35 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
If rcs85551 says it, believe that it is true. No questions asked. rcs85551 has never steered us wrong since joining the forum five years ago.

Search this Thread