Search

Reservation change penalty and fare difference

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2005, 7:10 pm
q
Original Poster

Reservation change penalty and fare difference

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked, or if the answer is well known. Assuming I have a reservation (not Y, but not the cheapest either) on a flight which "appears" to be oversold. For my convenience, I would consider taking a different flight, the same day, which "appears" to be emptier than the original flight. If indeed this information is accurate, why would DL not waive the $200 change penalty? The risk for DL of having to pay someone some sort of compensation is that small?

Thanks
Old May 4, 2005, 7:12 pm

Programs: Skyteam/Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold Preferred
$200 change fee? I thought change fees were only $50 (Simplifares) or cheaper (Song).
Old May 4, 2005, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
They normally would not waive any change fees. Delta and all airlines routinely oversell planes that never depart full. Just because it shows oversold doesn't mean that anyone that wants on that plane won't be on that plane. In fact, Delta is banking on that.

As the flight gets closer to departure, it might appear more and more likely that it will indeed not have enough seats, or not. If it does, and you find the right agent, you might be able to get it changed. Or, you could just be at the gate and take the compensation and get on the flight that you wanted anyway. Of course, you would have to be at the airport and that might defeat the purpose to start with.
Old May 4, 2005, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by MuAT
$200 change fee? I thought change fees were only $50 (Simplifares) or cheaper (Song).
Most international change fees are still $200.
Old May 4, 2005, 8:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
On top of that. They rather get $200 cash from you and give out a voucher to something who volunteers.
Old May 4, 2005, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Agree - DL would rather take their chances they will not have to pay out. In fact, with Murphy's law in effect, the flight you might want to switch too may somehow be oversold itself due to flight changes.
Old May 4, 2005, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I asked a similar question a few days ago.. if the change fee is just $50 i'm going to pay it + the fare difference to change my flights this coming friday, oversold or not, I have something to do with my friends.
Old May 4, 2005, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
On top of that. They rather get $200 cash from you and give out a voucher to something who volunteers.
Or better yet, they will collect the $200 and NOT have to give a voucher because it ends up only overbooked by 1, zero after the change.
Old May 5, 2005, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I just changed the tix.. instead of having my friends wait on me to see if I get a bump, and more likely not getting bumped but instead getting a middle seat, I just said screw it and paid the change fee + the fare difference.

problem is, this MR i'm taking is working out to be more like .05/mile instead of the .025 it was originally

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.