Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New DL service to Rio starts 10/1

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:36 am
Original Poster

New DL service to Rio starts 10/1

After many months of waiting and fighting (DL had to wrestle flight frequencies away from UA), DL has received approval to launch ATL-GIG service beginning October 1st.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050413/clw032.html?.v=5
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Cool. I assume it goes through GRU?
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:49 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Cool. I assume it goes through GRU?
Nope, nonstop ATL-GIG. DL will now have 3 daily flights to Brazil (2 to GRU and 1 to GIG)
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Nope, nonstop ATL-GIG. DL will now have 3 daily flights to Brazil (2 to GRU and 1 to GIG)
Wow. I thought all non-Brazilian carriers had to fly into GRU first... I know AA and UA's flights go USA-GRU-GIG.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:03 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Wow. I thought all non-Brazilian carriers had to fly into GRU first... I know AA and UA's flights go USA-GRU-GIG.
No, AA has a nonstop MIA-GIG. Most airlines have added GIG to their GRU flights because GIG has not been able to support too many individual nonstop flights.

Last edited by ClipperDelta; Apr 13, 2005 at 3:02 pm
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:56 am
Suspended

15 years ago, nearly all flights flew from GIG. GIG had the long runway and the close-in city location.

Sao Paulo had 2 airports, Congonhas (the LaGuardia, Santos Dumont, London City, Oslo-Fornebu or Washington National of Sao Paulo) and far away Viracopas Campinas (the Mirabel of Sao Paulo). Not too many airlines wanted to use the far away airport at Campinas. Then GRU was developed for commercial airlines.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:00 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Indeed, DL will fly ATL-GIG nonstop. Great news!

In fact, Sao Paulo has three major airports. You forgot to mention Campo de Marte (next to the Anhembi Convention Centre), which is the busiest private jet airport in Latin America, and one of the busiest in the world.

Rgs,
Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:53 am

Cool Delta Revived Non Stop Service To GIG

I know that Delta is starting non stop service again to GIG. Has anyone heard of any special fares for the inaugural flight? I flew that flight the last time they had the service and it was a very reasonable fare, served champagne and chocolates in coach and every gave everyone a gift. I doubt they will be doing such this time around.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 3, 2005 at 12:28 pm Reason: This milepost was merged into this thread unedited.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:10 am

This is definitely a positive development, as transferring in GRU is a big timewaster, and GIG-ATL avoids the customs madhouse of AA's GIG-MIA service.

The paucity of nonstop service to GIG is an anomoly driven by the fact that premium yields on routes through GRU are amongst the highest in the world. My understanding is that AA's JFK-GRU is actually the highest yielding flight in their entire route network, with lots of demand in the front of the plane.

GIG, in contrast, is primarily a leisure destination, with much less demand for premium fares. GIG is a great destination though, and commands consistently high fares even in Y. I think that it is a great opportunity for an LCC to come in and offer nonstop service, and wouldn't be surprised to see that happen in the not too distant future.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:28 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Makanmata

The paucity of nonstop service to GIG is an anomoly driven by the fact that premium yields on routes through GRU are amongst the highest in the world. My understanding is that AA's JFK-GRU is actually the highest yielding flight in their entire route network, with lots of demand in the front of the plane.
AA 950/951 is the single best performing flight AA has out of JFK, but the honour of single most profitable usually goes to AA 908/909 (MIA-EZE) and AA 136/137 (LAX-LHR).
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:36 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 2:15 pm
Old Jul 5, 2005, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Makanmata
This is definitely a positive development, as transferring in GRU is a big timewaster, and GIG-ATL avoids the customs madhouse of AA's GIG-MIA service.

GIG, in contrast, is primarily a leisure destination, with much less demand for premium fares. GIG is a great destination though, and commands consistently high fares even in Y. I think that it is a great opportunity for an LCC to come in and offer nonstop service, and wouldn't be surprised to see that happen in the not too distant future.
DL had service to Rio nonstop from Atlanta until 9/11. The resulting economic difficulties caused them to discontinue this service. Now, intercontnental flights are their most profitable routes, so they are re-instituting this service. Having flown to both destinations, via Delta, don't expect fares to be much different.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by atlantafashionista
I know that Delta is starting non stop service again to GIG. Has anyone heard of any special fares for the inaugural flight? I flew that flight the last time they had the service and it was a very reasonable fare, served champagne and chocolates in coach and every gave everyone a gift. I doubt they will be doing such this time around.
They probably will do something like that. I know for sure they should have a gift or something for coach as they do for all (or at least most)inaguaral flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.