FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   SNA Orange County CA upgrades Difficult to Come By? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/393783-sna-orange-county-ca-upgrades-difficult-come.html)

Modapa Jan 26, 2005 4:31 pm

SNA Orange County CA upgrades Difficult to Come By?

Considering that I am only an FO, I can understand why I wouldn't get very many upgrades yet, but in talking to other PM's on Delta flights from Orange County, I've heard that their success rates are very dismal. One woman I talked to who was a PM told me that she has not once been upgraded from that airport on a Delta flight. She also told me that she knew some of the people on that particular flight who had been upgraded were GM's. I wouldn't take just one person's word for it, but I've heard this before from other PM's.

I took a triip to a different destination last weekend, going to visit my mother in NY instead of going home to Ohio and I was upgraded on the ATL-ALB segment but not the SNA-ATL one. On the way back, I was upgraded on both the ALB-ATL and ATL-SNA segments.

Anyone else have any experience with this airport?

brendamc Jan 26, 2005 4:43 pm

It is a problem - smaller planes & other reasons. Best advice is to fly X LAX if you really want that upgrade.

Modapa Jan 29, 2005 10:28 pm

I don't think I would be inclined to use LAX just to get the upgrade. I can't leave work until 11:30 a.m. anyway, and it would be an hour drive to LAX. Last time I was at LAX, I was definitely not impressed. It took forever to just get my bags checked outside.

The flight from SNA to ATL is a 757. Plenty of FC seats. It may be due to having to fly out on Friday, a pretty busy time. But I still don't understand why a PM would not obtain a FC seat over a GM or FO.

jmscsc Jan 30, 2005 6:32 pm

I too have never been able to get an upgrade out of Orange County. In talking to agents and passengers it seems as if SNA has a lot of GM and Million Milers flying Delta. I too am tempted to go the LAX route for my next trip.

d2rip Jan 30, 2005 9:35 pm

I live in Orange County and almost always fly out of SNA. Last year I was SM and this year I am GM and am upgraded about 80% of the time both in and out of SNA. I would say that it is the ticket value that would keep other people from being upgraded, but I always buy the least expensive ticket and therefore am usually on a L, U, or T. Maybe I am flying at the right times....I don't know but I have had lots of success being upgraded. Maybe I get priority because I live here and they want to keep my business knowing if you live in a hub city you are usually going to fly with Delta anyways. One of the reasons I keep flying Delta is because I do consistently get upgraded. I have the 7:45 am flight tommorow in class T- SNA to ATL and already have a confirmed upgrade. I have had no problems. Good luck to you.

SFOFlyer2 Jan 31, 2005 10:50 am

I have always gotten my upgrade from SNA and they have cleared right on the upgrade window.

indufan Jan 31, 2005 11:14 am

SNA-ATL has had very competitive A fares for a while now. Obviously, those F seats are going to someone. I understand the drive issues to LAX but at least there are occassional B/E configured planes out of LAX.