Wiki Posts
Search

A difference between a PMU and SWU certs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
A difference between a PMU and SWU certs

I used to be a PM before MQMs. I have been a GM since, but now I have a chance to requalify for PM. PMs used to get system-wide upgrade certificates (SWUs). Now PMs get PMUs. What is the difference? Is PMU a new name for SWU? Or there is ever-so-subtle difference making our lives miserable?
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:45 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
Originally Posted by miro
I used to be a PM before MQMs. I have been a GM since, but now I have a chance to requalify for PM. PMs used to get system-wide upgrade certificates (SWUs). Now PMs get PMUs. What is the difference? Is PMU a new name for SWU? Or there is ever-so-subtle difference making our lives miserable?
Maybe this from the DL website will help:

Platinum Medallion Systemwide Upgrade Certificates
Your systemwide upgrade certificates are automatically mailed to you in your credentials package when you qualify for Platinum Medallion status. Platinum Medallion Upgrades are valid for:

Travel on most Delta flights worldwide
Travel within or between the 50 United States, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, and Mexico on any published fare booked in Y, B, M, H, Q, or K class. For all other international travel, upgrades are valid on any published fare in Y, B, or M class.
Confirm upgrade at time of booking for Y, B, M, H, Q, K (domestic U.S.) and Y, B, M (international) fare classes. Platinum Medallion Upgrades can be used by the Medallion member or by a travel companion when traveling in the same cabin as the Medallion member. Platinum Medallion Upgrades are capacity controlled and subject to availability. See the back of your Platinum Medallion Upgrade certificate for additional terms and conditions.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:59 pm

I think in days gone by that the currently called PMU/Platinum Medallion Upgrades used to be called SWU/System Wide Upgrades. I think they are one and the same. If there are in fact some nuances between the old SWU and the new era PMU, I can not say. As mentioned, I think it is simply a renamed product.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
GMs and FOs got SWUs at one time, didn't they? Later, there were NAMUs (North American Upgrade Certificates). PMUs are obviously just for PMs.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Firstmate
I think they are one and the same. If there are in fact some nuances between the old SWU and the new era PMU, I can not say.
The biggest difference is that with PMUs one can upgrade a traveling companion. SWUs were restricted to the medallion member.

GMs and FOs got SWUs at one time, didn't they? Later, there were NAMUs (North American Upgrade Certificates).
IIRC, after the first 40K base miles as a medallion, you received one set of SWUs and additional sets for each 20K miles thereafter. NAMUs were a poor substitution for SWUs, but at least they enabled GMs and FOs to upgrade at time of ticketing provided G/X were available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.