Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta getting bashed on the CO forum.....is it true?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:49 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386900
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:04 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Wow!! - (and somebody here think we are bad!!??
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
You get used to whatever you get used to. I was way less than pleased with the only CO trip I made in 2004. Plus, I can actually redeem an award ticket.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Clarification..YES IT IS GETTING BASHED. NOT yes it's true !!!

Yes it is !!! I've been watching both forums for a few weeks now to get a feel for my defection to DL from CO Platinum. I got bashed just for posting my thoughts (which were not negative toward CO).

My last flight on DL was a one-way repo from FLL-SFO early in '04. I don't recall needing post-flight-stress-disorder therapy or anything like that !!

Giving DL a whirl next week for SFO-FLL return. Looking forward to checking out the CRC and aircarft first hand. BTW, anybody have a feel for the FC availability on the SFO-ATL legs utilizing the 764's? N.b. I'll not get it anyway as a mileage challenge hasn't shown in my mailbox yet, just asking.

Last edited by climmy; Jan 7, 2005 at 5:07 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Wow, even the most vocal of the SSM crew (myself included) never bashed DL like this. IMHO, the comments are a little over the top.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 6:22 pm

Well, I for one certainly hope that word gets out among CO and NW elites that DL's aircraft, ground and in-flight services are simply terrible. At a minimum, that would mean less competition for DL award seats and, if cross-carrier upgrades do materialize, less competition for upgrades on DL metal.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 6:53 pm

Talking Something smells fishy to me about that post

I read that thread a couple of times - some of the things that I noticed:

- Very well written - almost as if it was proofed prior to posting. (Competitors PR dept. perhaps?)
- For someone flying to Cincinnati - and someone who flies as frequently as the poster appeared to - why in the world would they ever check their bags? Experienced travelers know how to get a weeks worth of clothes into an overhead sized bag - why would this person opt to check for a visit to CVG? I can understand Disney, golfing or skiing - but CVG?
- This comment "Priority baggage handling, by the way, is only offered on DL international flights over six hours--and only for platinum medallion members. I can understand limiting perks like SWU certs to platinums only, but priority baggage handling?!" - Man this sounds like a comment from a competitor. A lot of knowledge for a DL newby or returner.

I fly out of CVG every week - like any big airport, it is busy. I had to laugh at the characterization of the airport as dirty and chaotic. If you are use to flying, you know which of the airports are the worst.

The biggest item of interest was the fact that the poster flew with Delta from New Haven. I did a quick check on frequency and price - DL was $243 for a nonstop for 3 flights a day to choose from. CO doesn't fly out of Tweed Airport so they would of had to take US Air @ 11:00am, switch in PHL, fly to Cleveland and then on to CVG arriving @ 18:00 for $310.

I may be wrong - but I think this person was simply annoyed at being forced to take DL - and they chose to express their feelings through outlets like the paint jobs, busy signals and cleanliness. While I can't comment on the condition of said paint (quite honetly - don't look at them and don't care) - the comments about cleanliness and busy signals simply don't hold water (assuming this trip didn't occur during the Christmas chaos @ CVG).
Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:36 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by FF524
I read that thread a couple of times - some of the things that I noticed:

- Very well written - almost as if it was proofed prior to posting. (Competitors PR dept. perhaps?)

- This comment "Priority baggage handling, by the way, is only offered on DL international flights over six hours--and only for platinum medallion members. I can understand limiting perks like SWU certs to platinums only, but priority baggage handling?!" - Man this sounds like a comment from a competitor. A lot of knowledge for a DL newby or returner.

Very astute! - Especially this one is troubling. I tend to agree with you!!

And by the way, when was I taking Continental from Sarasota to Jacksonville a few months bacl, I was on a Continental commuter. In the downstairs gate there were several CO commuter departures, and man!! I have never seen so many irate people (except in CDG of course ) yelling and screaming because of cancellation of a flight to some other FL city. Not a pretty sight at all. Maybe the CO flyers are just spoiled brats (or with Parisian blood flowing = both!!!).

And by the way, even though I dutifully put in my DL SM number (which was accepted), the 750 MQM's never posted and I never bothered to go after the 500 miles!
Old Jan 7, 2005, 8:53 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Originally Posted by FTraveler
Well, I for one certainly hope that word gets out among CO and NW elites that DL's aircraft, ground and in-flight services are simply terrible. At a minimum, that would mean less competition for DL award seats and, if cross-carrier upgrades do materialize, less competition for upgrades on DL metal.
Umm that means DL will have a tough time surviving, but I get what you're trying to mean.
(Although I'm hoping DL will implement all-leather seating in all classes by this summer)
Anyway, I wonder how many FTers here are working for an airline with the purpose of getting business into that airline or spreading good PR about themselves/bad PR about competitors? And I wonder how many FTers tell the truth on all their posts ? (Hey, I just flew EWR-SIN, the longest route in the world. Haha, I'm lying-I only wish I could get that mileage!)
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:36 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
Very astute! - Especially this one is troubling. I tend to agree with you!!

And by the way, when was I taking Continental from Sarasota to Jacksonville a few months bacl, I was on a Continental commuter. In the downstairs gate there were several CO commuter departures, and man!! I have never seen so many irate people (except in CDG of course ) yelling and screaming because of cancellation of a flight to some other FL city. Not a pretty sight at all. Maybe the CO flyers are just spoiled brats (or with Parisian blood flowing = both!!!).

And by the way, even though I dutifully put in my DL SM number (which was accepted), the 750 MQM's never posted and I never bothered to go after the 500 miles!
That is because you can earn SkyMiles only on flights operated by Continental or ExpressJet. Commutair is a Continental codeshare.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Last weekend, DL reps ( I was forced to fly DL because of bad weather in MSP--Sent NW MSP-CLE, then CLE - CVG on DL RL) told me that baggage was taking at least an hour to hit baggage claim. And, that was from babbage claim office. Sorry guys, my fight with DL has always been management.... This time it is looking bad on front lines.

My baggage didnt get to my house for 3 more days

I have to agree with OP that DL was a zoo.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

The DL Bashing is over-the-top. To be fair, I have to say that I have not flown on CO for many years. However, my worst experiences on DL do not even begin to echo or resemble, in any manner, the comments of those gleefuly bashing DL. Much too harsh and unfair to DL and frontline employees.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
For me, I thought some of the observations are correct, but I could argue that every airline has the same issues. I do have to say that I don't like flying through the C concourse in CVG, but the overall observations made by the op in the thread aren't really a bother for me. I'm used to it. Indeed, some of my best flights were on Delta's oldest planes (L1011's , 727s, etc. ). For me, Delta's service far outweighs some of the deficiencies that were cited in the CO thread. I don't look at the paint on the plane while I fly, so who cares if it is peeling?
For me, I'd rather have the consistent pre-flight beverage, something which AA can't seem to master.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL 1.3MM/SM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum
I am a former CO Plat and still fly them in FC at least 4 times a year on paid fares or Starwood Point transfer upgrades.

CO's food is better, their snacks are better, their planes are newer and much cleaner than ours for the most part (within the last year DL's planes are just filthy inside).

However DL's Flight Attendants are miles ahead of CO's Aloof and Cranky FAs. Delta front-line is superior as well. Just my 2 cents.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I have flown CO only twice -- TLV-EWR in Biz and EWR-FLL in F/C.

The TLV-EWR flight was far superior to any other Biz International one I have ever taken as far as the facilities were concerned. The CO staff, however, were not quite up to DL standards.

The EWR-FLL facilities were on a par with Delta's but, again, I prefer the Delta staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.