the airline that stole christmas

Old Dec 26, 04, 8:12 am
Original Poster

the airline that stole christmas

I got in late on the 24th on a delta flight from CDG after missing my Air France Connection. (I arrived the gate with the plane still there, but they would not let me know board, saying that I would be booked on the next flight. As a result, i was booked on a Delta flight from Paris to Atlanta and then to SFO, adding an extra 9 hours of travel time making it a total of 24 hours of travel from Italy, which is ridiculous.

I've been without luggage for an entire day with no contact from the airline, or an apology for that matter. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this airline to get my luggage back?

So far, all the staff has been unhelpful, telling me that everything is okay. Not only do they have no idea where my bags are, they're telling me that I should already have them, which I don't.

On top of that, none of their phone numbers seem to work. As fun as it is being in the same clothes for a day over christmas, I've been extrememly unhappy with the service.

Delta sucks. I'm never taking them again.

Last edited by youngandhip; Dec 26, 04 at 8:15 am
Old Dec 26, 04, 8:33 am

Location: RDU, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by youngandhip
I got in late on the 24th on a delta flight from CDG after missing my Air France Connection. (I arrived the gate with the plane still there, but they would not let me know board, saying that I would be booked on the next flight. As a result, i was booked on a Delta flight from Paris to Atlanta and then to SFO, adding an extra 9 hours of travel time making it a total of 24 hours of travel from Italy, which is ridiculous.

I've been without luggage for an entire day with no contact from the airline, or an apology for that matter. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this airline to get my luggage back?

So far, all the staff has been unhelpful, telling me that everything is okay. Not only do they have no idea where my bags are, they're telling me that I should already have them, which I don't.

On top of that, none of their phone numbers seem to work. As fun as it is being in the same clothes for a day over christmas, I've been extrememly unhappy with the service.

You got to the flight late, how is that DL's problem? If you got to the flight too late, chances are you probably checked your bag too late, hence the delay in recieving it.

So when you get to a flight past what the ticket says you need to be there by, you'd rather them hold the plane up and delay other passengers just so you can make your flight? No thank you. You made your own bed. Lie in it.
Old Dec 26, 04, 8:43 am

Programs: Qantas Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Plat Prem, Hertz Pres Circle
So I'm choosing to fly on Xmas eve half-way around the world, during the winter and don't bother to ensure that I make my original flight.

Then I'm going to complain about the airline.

All this, plus I am young AND hip.

You might want to research this board about travel tips. Look for posts about poor travelers.
Old Dec 26, 04, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
A great reprise of our favorite Delta board tag line from a few months back. "This is an outrage! I'll never fly Delta again!".

Last edited by DLfan; Dec 26, 04 at 12:42 pm
Old Dec 26, 04, 11:20 am

So let me get this right. Air France screws up, Delta gets you to the US despite having huge operational problems themselves but it is all Delta's fault? Give me a break. You need to give Delta the baggage tag numbers, get a reference number and be patient like the rest of us who went through travel chaos yesterday but still managed to wish everybody "Merry Christmas".

If you don't already have a file reference number you should call 1 800 325 8224 to report the missing baggage. That number is *very* busy due to weather and Comair related problems.

If you were originally on AF flights on an AF ticket then Delta is not due you any compensation unless your bags *were* on the DL flight out of CDG and were lost at ATL.

Last edited by CelticFlyer; Dec 26, 04 at 11:28 am
Old Dec 26, 04, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
Reaction from the middle-aged and square...

...seems to be running strongly in favor of young and hip -- NOT.

Ever since Copernicus, though, people have survived with the knowledge that the universe does not revolve around them. I'm sure that Young and Hip will make it...and maybe even learn that it's far worse to spend time at an airport waiting for the NEXT flight than it was to arrive early and wait for YOUR flight.
Old Dec 26, 04, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
OK. Next time you should take US Airways.
Old Dec 26, 04, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
Y&H isn't all off base

If you'll closely read the OP, you'll find that most of the complaints directed at him are not valid:

1) He said that he came in from Italy, on an AF connecting flight into CDG. AF wouldn't let him board in CDG, so he was rerouted to DL via ATL. So, he was on time for his originating flight - it was the late connect due to AF being late into CDG.

2) The later DL flight was either 1:20 later than the AF flight or 3:10 later. So there was time in CDG for the bags to transfer.

3) DL's "operational problems" weren't happening over in Europe, were they?

4) He's gotten no help from DL, with them telling him that he already has his bags. Or that they don't know where the bags are.

5) So, his bags didn't make the flights. So, they either 1) didn't make the originating flight, 2) got put on the SFO flight, 3) didn't get on the DL flight to ATL, 4) didn't get on the DL flight to SFO.

IMO, DL should be able to say that the bags are in SFO, ATL, CDG, Italy, none of the above, or unknown. To give the shrug just isn't right. And it is a whole day later.

Now, I will admit that the OP is steaming about the reroute through ATL. That reroute probably had some validity, especially if the doors were closed and the flight was set for pushback. Also, the flight might have been full at that point. That's an issue with AF, not DL. But the attitude about the luggage is all DL.

I will agree, it could have been a flight from CDG to PHL to SFO on US.

Last edited by Mill Creek Don; Dec 26, 04 at 1:06 pm
Old Dec 26, 04, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mill Creek Don

2) The later DL flight was either 1:20 later than the AF flight or 3:10 later. So there was time in CDG for the bags to transfer.

3) DL's "operational problems" weren't happening over in Europe, were they?

4) He's gotten no help from DL, with them telling him that he already has his bags. Or that they don't know where the bags are.

IMO, DL should be able to say that the bags are in SFO, ATL, CDG, Italy, none of the above, or unknown. To give the shrug just isn't right. And it is a whole day later.
2:This is AF and CDG we are talking about.
3:The operational problems are the reason that their baggage service center is overloaded and can't give the OP the personal service he/she desires.
4:We don't know that. I stood in a baggage office line yesterday and noticed a percentage of people with completely unreasonable expectations. Such people will always feel that service isn't good enough.

Lastly, If the baggage didn't leave CDG then DL are depending on AF for information. An unenviable position.
Old Dec 26, 04, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jfulcher
You got to the flight late, how is that DL's problem? If you got to the flight too late, chances are you probably checked your bag too late, hence the delay in recieving it.

So when you get to a flight past what the ticket says you need to be there by, you'd rather them hold the plane up and delay other passengers just so you can make your flight? No thank you. You made your own bed. Lie in it.
you forgot to mention that I also didn't bother to pack a change of clothes in my carry on. I guess that carry on space was reserved for my game boy and snowboard.
Old Dec 26, 04, 3:47 pm

Programs: NW Plat, UA PE, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Delta Platinum Medalion.

Delta staff unhelpful?
Phone numbers don'twork?
I'm SHOCKED! SHOCKED!

Delta does suck. In the words of a really pissed off flyer I saw on Fox News, "Delta is so bad they should be shut down". (I think she was a Comair person)
Old Dec 26, 04, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Could it actually be that he was originally on a CDG-CVG Delta flight on the 24th and that Delta inadvertantly did this hipster a favor by sending him via ATL on the 24th? Don't know how the connections through CVG were that day, but I would have preferred to connect through ATL given the weather problems last week.

As he isn't clear about whether his bags made it to ATL with him and whether he cleared them through customs, maybe his bags went to CVG with the flight he was supposed to be on and are stuck in the mess there.

Or as Elaine on Seinfeld found out, perhaps the bags have been sent to Hawaii since this guy is probably too young and hip to know that you should tip a skycap!
Old Dec 26, 04, 8:05 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
The last carrier you fly on is generally responsible for your luggage.

If you flew AF from Italy to CDG, missed your connection at CDG because of a late inbound and was re-routed on to DL metal, via ATL to SFO, DL ultimiately should be responsible.

With all of the other crap going on within the DL system, including the Comair shutdown, it would be a miracle if you could actually get through to DL.

To the OP: I sincerely hope you filed a luggage claim with the luggage office at ATL before you made your connecting flight - I am assuming your luggage was not on your CDG-ATL flight and you went through US Customs without it.

If you were pressed for time and could not file a report with DL baggage at ATL, at least reported it to DL baggage at SFO. If you cannot get through to DL via the phone, I would pay them a visit at SFO and make an inquiry.

If they try to shrug you off, advise them that as they were the last carrier who transported you, they are responsible for your luggage.

As far as where the luggage is, it's possible it might have never left Italy on your first flight; most likely your luggage was misrouted at CDG.

Be pro-active with DL and hopefully you should have your luggage soon. Last but not least, because of limitations under the Warsaw Convention for international travel, it's always a good idea to obtain extra insurance for your luggage.

Good luck!
Old Dec 26, 04, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
The last carrier you fly on is generally responsible for your luggage.

If you flew AF from Italy to CDG, missed your connection at CDG because of a late inbound and was re-routed on to DL metal, via ATL to SFO, DL ultimiately should be responsible.
Delta should certainly initiate the tracking, but if the bags were not transferred to DL from AF on time at CDG then I don't believe that Delta have to offer compensation.
Old Dec 27, 04, 6:53 am

I had a flight Delta actually did mess up on Christmas. I will fly them again. I'm debating whether or not to send them a letter, though. The problems people had on other airlines that day seem a lot worse, so I probably won't. There were both good and bad aspects to the way Delta handled the problem. If I write a letter, I will mention both.

(One hour time difference times in local times for the airport.)
The flight was AUA-JFK and was scheduled to leave around 2:30 and arrive around 6. I got there at 11 and found out the flight was cancelled. We checked the flight on the website prior to leaving our hotel and it looked fine at that point. The reason given for the cancellation was an inability to get the pilots to Aruba. The airplane was not a problem. We were rerouted on a connecting flight through Atlanta which arrived at LGA (which wasn't where we originally landed but in our case is a little better). The new flight left at 4 and arrived in New York at 11.

I was happy that:
1. The staff was professional and courteous when handling the changes.
2. We were kept in first class the entire trip despite the changes.
3. Our luggage made it to LGA when we did.

My points of contention were this:
1. Two direct flights on United and Continental left Aruba for New York (LGA and EWR) before my flight left. I know the airline needs to pay to put passengers on competing flights, but considering it was the holidays, I think they should have.
2. The website was not updated with a cancelation as early as it could have. I'm sure the airline knew they were not going to be able to get their pilots to Aruba earlier than 11 AM. Had they posted the information on the website in the morning, I would have stayed by the pool at the hotel for a few hours.
3. I have a nagging suspicion the airline could have gotten a pilot for the flight to Aruba. If they can get a plane there, they can probably get people there. I think the flight was probably not very crowded and a financial decision was made not to bother.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: