Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

DL bans noise cancelling headphones under 10,000 feet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM; Hilton Diamond; SPG Platinum
Smile Unsafe...

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
How do they know if the noise cancelling is on or not anyway? I have Bose noise cancelling headphones I love, and if I want to sleep right away or have noisy kidsnearme near me or am in Y with 2 seatmates that are talkative, I like to keep the headphones on with the noise cancelling off until we reach 10,000 feet to help block the noise out.

A couple times I have had FA's ask me if they were turned off. Only time I was told to remove them was a couple months ago sitting in an exit row. The FA said I couldn't have headphones on so I could hear announcments in case of an emergency (yet they weren't concerned about an emergency over 10K feet????). I have had them on other times in an exit row with no problem.
I really have to advise you not to try and open the exits above 10K feet...

FM
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by GoHogsAR
This is ridiculous. Next thing you know they'll make us take our shoes off to go through security.
And only bring liquids in containers that are 3.2 oz or less. Crazy!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat
Even D.B. Cooper was smart enough to open the doors at a lower altitude (i.e. below 10K) - and he had a parachute!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by LeslieJam
And only bring liquids in containers that are 3.2 oz or less. Crazy!
And then after that they will start requiring all those containers to fit in a quart size bag
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta - Plat, Marriott - Platinum, Starwood - Gold
And then after that they will start requiring all those containers to fit in a quart size bag
3.4, not 3.2 But who's counting?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by CueballJR
3.4, not 3.2 But who's counting?
Someone else said 3.2 not me
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: 1FS Frequent Diner
How do they know if the noise cancelling is on or not anyway?
Some have an LED light.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, National EE
How do they know if the noise cancelling is on or not anyway? I have Bose noise cancelling headphones I love, and if I want to sleep right away or have noisy kidsnearme near me or am in Y with 2 seatmates that are talkative, I like to keep the headphones on with the noise cancelling off until we reach 10,000 feet to help block the noise out.

A couple times I have had FA's ask me if they were turned off. Only time I was told to remove them was a couple months ago sitting in an exit row. The FA said I couldn't have headphones on so I could hear announcments in case of an emergency (yet they weren't concerned about an emergency over 10K feet????). I have had them on other times in an exit row with no problem.
On the Bose headsets, there is a red light on one of the ear cups (right, I think) that is illuminated when turned on. An FA would only be able to tell if she saw the light.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BeachBum770
On the Bose headsets, there is a red light on one of the ear cups (right, I think) that is illuminated when turned on. An FA would only be able to tell if she saw the light.
True, my bose do have the little red light on the red hand ear piece indicating it is on (and blinks if the battery is running low), so I guess if that earphone was facing the FA they could tell if I was in an aisle seat if they were on.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:27 pm
B1

Modern turboprops have noise reduction systems that use essentially the same electronics as in headphones. They are in use for the entire flight. Is there some irony here?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by B1
Modern turboprops have noise reduction systems that use essentially the same electronics as in headphones. They are in use for the entire flight. Is there some irony here?
I'll guarantee you such systems are significantly more complex particularly wrt EMI shielding.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

Uk regulations mean that all headphones need to be removed for take off/landing so think yourselves lucky you only have to switch the noise cancelling off.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: DL-PM, SPG-Gold; HH-Dia
Must you be awake though? More irony if not....
Old Feb 16, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, F9 Summit
Hmm... I fly myself for work quite often and I have a Bose A20 ANR headset and it doesn't cause any interference. I'm thinkjng this has more to do with not being able to hear necessary information. The FAA had an advisory circular a little while ago about small but Important noises that may be missed by pilots wearing an ANR headset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.