Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

what are the rules for bringing your own booze on board (BYOB)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2004, 9:15 pm
RCC
Original Poster

I like only certain brands of spirits, I am kinda picky about it that way...

I am wondering, can I BYOB this flight I am going to be takin a couple of days?

I asked a friend that travels a lot, she thought there was some sort of fine with delta if you do that.

Ric
Old Nov 7, 2004, 9:15 pm
RCC
Original Poster

I did want to further mention that I was going to be discreet about it, with a small flask & not just be a drunk or something...

had to clear that up !!!!!!

Ric
Old Nov 7, 2004, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by RCC
I did want to further mention that I was going to be discreet about it, with a small flask & not just be a drunk or something...

had to clear that up !!!!!!

Ric
The flasks will show up in your carry on x-ray. Not a problem at DUB, GLA, EDI etc. but may cause some interest elsewhere...

p.s. I thought the main rule was "Don't get caught!".
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RCC
I like only certain brands of spirits, I am kinda picky about it that way...

I am wondering, can I BYOB this flight I am going to be takin a couple of days?
Interesting question. I don't know the legality of BYOB on board but I'd guess it's frowned upon due to various arcane liquor laws.
But I'm curious as to your preference for spirits that aren't included on board DL flights.
Granted that DL isn't "The Bar At The Ritz" but, IMHO, they board a pretty upscale selection of liquors.
And, AFAIK, they don't serve anything that can be considered as rotgut...or that will kill you over the course of a two-three hour flight.
What's your "poison"?? Inquiring minds want to know......
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I think the legality is: the only alcohol you can drink on board is the one served by the airline (FAA rule). The reason behind it is to give the airline a control over you, to make sure you do not become intoxicated to the point of putting the flight in danger.
So in short: Legally you cannot. But my guess is that not too many people would worry about it.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL-GM; Marriott-Platinum; Holiday Inn-Gold;
Byob

You will not have a problem bringing liquor onto a flight(through TSA checkpoints) as long as it hasn't been opened. You just need to be discrete about using it onboard. I'm sure there ar FAA rules that prohibit you to consume your own alcohol while on a flight.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 11:57 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
BYOB is not permitted. IIRC, on certain carriers you can/(could?) give your spirits/wine to the FA, who would then serve it to you.

In any event, a little discretion should yield you your drink of choice without any hassle from the FAs. Probably easier in Y than F.

Might consider using an unlabeled container for your spirits. Many liquors are available in 375ml bottles, some of which are plastic. Removing the label and using one of these might not be a bad move.

Also, be prepared to stop immediately if confronted.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 12:01 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Wink how we do it in college...

The trick is to find a dark plastic water bottle with a lid. You can find such a bottle at any college bookstore...

Enjoy,
J.Edward
Old Nov 8, 2004, 12:06 am

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
As mentioned in other threads, I have over the past 20 years brought tequila, special redwine or real champagne on board domestically and Int.(the latter especially when flying with Ms. Duck domestically). I have never had problems having it served. The trick is to hand it over to the FA and kindly ask her/him to serve it which with a brief explanation has never been a problem for me. I have purchased tequila on international flights and had it opened and served by the FA and even had the FA on a Kuwait Airline serve me a red wine I brought (in FC) as Kuwait Airlines otherwise is totally dry!! I have never consumed anything alcoholic on a flight not served by a FA.

(However, I have never tried it in caoach)
Old Nov 8, 2004, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by NYBanker
Might consider using an unlabeled container for your spirits. Many liquors are available in 375ml bottles, some of which are plastic. Removing the label and using one of these might not be a bad move.
Good luck with that one!
I'm sure TSA would LOVE to see an unlabeled container of mysterious astringent liquid.

"Sir, you're going to have to drink some of that before we can let it through..."

"Okay"

"Sir, you're going to have to drink more"

"But--"

"MORE!!!"

As stated above, you're allowed (by TSA) to carry unopened bottles of liquor onboard with no problems, and I've only once encountered a problem carrying a half-empty bottle through. Definitely wouldn't remove any labels.

Flasks are fine if they're empty... if there's anything in it at all, TSA will empty it into the nearest water fountain .

FA's will serve you your bottle in F or BE. I've only tried drinking my own liquor own board in Y a couple of times and never got caught (I was drinking duty free which is definitely a no-no).
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:38 am

although i have never actually drank it on the plane, i have traveled many times (domestically) with a large bottle of crown or kettle in my back pack for consumption with friends at the hotel when we meet up for foothball weekends. its never been a problem at security.

I know CO's only written policy (i think its a FAA) is that any alcohol consumed on board must be "served" by a FA, not neccessarily supplied.

not sure what DL policy is?
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:29 pm
RCC
Original Poster

for the inquiring minds...

I really like scotch blends, especially partial to Chivas Regal, not offered by delta or in some crown rooms.

It is confirmed that you are not allowed to BYOB, you can carry a sealed bottle & must remain sealed while on board....I checked with an aquaintance friend whose girl friend is a piolt....as mentioned earlier, flight attendants need to be able to cut a drunk off....

anyway, I will just follow the laws as they are meant to be...

thanks,

Ric
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:53 pm

TSA will definitely take away open containers if they find them.

J. Edward's idea is probably the best one so far.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
1. Don't get caught

2. Don't get caught

3. Don't get caught

You can bring unopened containers on board. See rules 1-3 for consumption.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 11:19 am

I failed to get the upgrade from DUB - ATL so decided to BYOB. At 3 drinks per hour X 10 hr flight @ $5/ea, I figure I saved around $150!!!

I bought a small bottle of Vodka at DUB duty free and then bought a bottle of lemon aid. Drank half the lemon aid, mixed in the Vodka and had my drink for the flight.

I wouldn't recommend this method if you have to "prance" in and out of security but DUB's duty free is after the security screening.

Just be descreet and don't get totally sh*t faced and you'll be fine. If you get caught, be cool about it and don't make a fuss and they'll probably not make you walk the gangplank.

Cheers!!!

Last edited by davefr; Nov 9, 2004 at 11:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.