Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Flying on KE to ICN using DL miles... story and question...

Old Oct 4, 2004, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat

Hi...

It's been a rough week... one that has clearly shown me that there are so many more important things than which cabin I sit in or which seat in which cabin... that being said, I'm still curious about which cabin/seats are best... what is my problem? Do I need an intervention? Do all frequent traveller suffer from this disease? and

Here is my tale...

I just lost my last grandparent this past weekend in Korea (she was 94, and died with great dignity and peace and little to no pain - very comforting, but still a great sense of loss), and I have to get over there by this weekend. I was able to send my mother out there on NWA using miles at the last minute... literally got her on an aircraft 4 hours after recieving a call from Seoul. Still can't believe that.

So now I've got to figure out how to get myself out there before this Sunday... It looked bleak. Award searches and phone calls (probably spent 5 hours on the phone yesterday with various airlines) were yeilding ZERO results... even in coach. When I woke up this morning I was going to buy a coach ticket and just deal with it.

Before doing so, I decided to check with DL (using Amex MR) one last time on getting to ICN. Glad I did. They were able to get me on a KE flight this Fri going LAX-NRT-ICN in business (one of those infamous 'sold as 2 class, but really 3 class' flight) and returning a week later on a ICN-LAX nonstop in First - an actual sold as 3 class flight. I couldn't believe it... the agent says it's not unusual to see this type of inventory being released as things get closer to the travel dates, and indicated that it is highly likely that the F inventory on the 3 class LAX-ICN non-stops may open up, and I should check at least once, maybe twice a day on that. Surprise, surprise... as happy as I could be given the reasons for flying out there.

I also have to add that all the staff on the phone at DL and other airlines were VERY helpful and accomodating trying to find seats for me all weekend, they really went out of their way and it was awesome to see that you can get good service in times of need.

So I've read through the threads on the "KE not letting DL F award people in the 'F-but not really F' cabins even though you used the 140K miles" and I don't like it, but given everything else, there are clearly worse things.

So here are my questions...

I called KE to get seat assignments, and asked to be put on the upper deck of the 744 going out and did get an aisle seat up top (row 22) that isn't the first or last row in that cabin... Is this a good or bad thing?

Also, I'm in row 2 on the return in F, should I do row 1 if possible on KE? does it matter? KE tells me that my return is in F on a plane with their sleeper seats, so I'm assuming that is a good thing.

I'm new to flying KE in business/first, so that is why all these questions. It sure seems mundane and inane to be thinking about all of this inconsequential trivia, but right now I have to think about this rather than what happened so please forgive me any percieved lack of priorities. There really are more important things, I know, I'm just trying to keep stuff together and focusing on this little stuff seems to help... I know, I'm strange.

I've posted on another board regarding a similar topic (best coach service to ICN) and it was really heartwarming to hear the kind thoughts of people in this community. FlyerTalk really is a great place. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 6:20 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
You're not strange, rather it's a strange time for you. Sorry I have little input but offer my sympathy.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
My sincerest condolences on your loss woojink. I'm sure it's comforting to know that she passed peacefully. I hope she was able to enjoy Chosuk with her family in Korea this year.

To your seating questions...I think you'll be fine upstairs in Row 22, but if you can score the last row, some here feel that those are best. I also recommend you keep Row 2 on the return. I was once assigned to Row 1 and, since the cabin wasn't full, moved as soon as I could. While I'm pretty certain you have the same amount of "elbow" room in Row 1, it's proximity to the nose and the slight inward turn of the seat to account for the narrowing at the nose and nothing but wall up front, made it feel claustrophobic (at least to me). That said, it's still a darn good seat!

By the way, I don't think you're "strange" for asking these questions now. To the road warrior, troubling over these issues is part of our routine and routines are comforting and reassuring in times of stress.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I know the rules have changed earlier this year, but it never hurts to ask everyone along the way if you can get into First class on the 3/2 class plane. Earlier this year, I got into F anyway on one of two flights by asking. Don't know if that will work now, but ask at every point (check-in, club and gate). In either case, both FC sleeper and old C seats will be completely adequate - much better than coach. I'd perfer the sleeper seat on the return anyway.

Food is good too.

Sorry for you loss, glad you got the seats.

You probably have places to stay, but the Hyatt at INC is absolutely wonderful.

I'm sure you know your way around Seoul, but INC is not as near as the old Kimpo, but there are several options for getting into Seoul - I usually take the bus to a nearby hotel where I want to go.

Billy
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:19 am
In Memoriam

I agree with the above posts.

22 is fine and row 2 is great.

Safe sympathies to your family.

UP
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
woojink,

You have my sympathy... and, like others in this forum, I don't find your questions to be coming at a strange or inappropriate time. Whatever helps you to cope is fine.

I prefer row 2, but both are great. The sleeper suites are nice and the service is outstanding... great premium liquors, gracious attendants (sometimes not great on English... but certainly better than my Korean) etc. They give you pajamas for sleeping, just like CX, QF, etc.

I also repeatedly tried asking for the First cabin, on the non-First class, 3-cabin flights, but finally gave up by the time I made it to Indonesia (at least they were nice when they said no).

There's no shortage of food, even in business class. FAs constantly circulate with all manner of snacks.

Safe travels...
Old Oct 5, 2004, 6:28 pm

I flew KE on an F award earlier this year. JFK-ICN was on a 744 with the sleeper seats- they are just like AF F (incl. the crappy IFE). Food is pleniful and service is friendly. Wines are nice (DP for champagne; Robert Mondavi Cabernet, etc.) Overall I had an extremely pleasant trip on KE and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

That said, on my flight beyond ICN, I was aware (through this board!!!) of the 3 class = 2 class service. I called KE once prior to my trip to straighten it out and it was plainly clear the phone rep did not have the juice to make things right. When I got to JFK, I was extremely polite at the F counter, faced some resistance at first, but then made it perfectly clear that I knew there were F seats (rows 1 and 2 on the 777) and that if someone had to sit in those seats, why not me!? Got a little more resistance before mentioning that I was quite early for the flight (2hrs) and would be delighted to wait to speak with whoever I would need to speak with to make things right. At that point, said she would take care of it and sent me to the lounge. Twenty minutes later, the same agent arrived in the lounge with new boarding passes. I had zero issue with this on the return.

My point is that one needs to be very polite, but very firm at the same time. It appeared to me that there is a lot more hierarchy involved at KE than we are used to at US airlines (hard to imagine, I know...)

Nonetheless, note that the service is identical on those flights with the F as J cabin, but the seat is 1000% better than what KE J looked like (identical to the old DL int'l F seats).

Enjoy your trip. Have lots of macademia nuts in F! Sorry to hear of you loss.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 2:25 am

Programs: NW gold,KE morning calm premium,OZ diamond
Award availability on Korean air is far better than most of U.S. airlines and OZ (another Korean airline)
And they even widely open award seats about a week before departure date.
I never failed to get award C and F (with KE miles) if I plan a trip with little flexibility.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 2:38 am

That said, on my flight beyond ICN, I was aware (through this board!!!) of the 3 class = 2 class service. I called KE once prior to my trip to straighten it out and it was plainly clear the phone rep did not have the juice to make things right.

They block those first class seats in 2 class service flight til day of departure.
It open to their morning calm premium and M Miler only 2 days before departure date. But since there is not many top tier members, there is high chance to get it at airport if you check in early ask nicely especialy if you are full fare C ticket holder.

Last edited by tbae; Oct 6, 2004 at 2:40 am
Old Oct 6, 2004, 3:12 am

I also recommend you keep Row 2 than Row 1, and flight to ICN try to get Row 1 to 4 when you check in at airport. If you can not get it, stay with upper deck.

Your return flight has Morning Calm Class(sleeper seat)
I think you would be more than satisfy.
Service is very personal, and food is excelent.
you can enjoy Dom Perignon,Dom Ruinart and Krug, and their korean traditional dish(Hanjungsik) is owesome. They willl call you regarding detail menu to be prepared if you leave contact phone # in Korea
First class rounge in ICN is excelent, but one in LAX is lousy since they use Business rounge with blocked wall, and it is small and lots of people

Business class service is quite good though, beaware that seat has less pitch(45') and recline compare than those one in US airlines. there is no power for laptop and Some 744 even do not have PE equipment.

Last edited by tbae; Oct 6, 2004 at 3:14 am
Old Oct 7, 2004, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. I really appreciate them, and goes to show how great a community FT really is.

So I'm taking off in the morning, and just checked, all of the 3 class non-stops are still full - KE is actually showing "sold out" - so no rev seats left even... two non-stops a day + the NRT connection and still full... go figure. I'll keep checking though. I did call KE and they said that the first few rows are controlled by the airport... sounded fishy to me, but whatever, I'll try and "work" it at the airport. The reservation agent said that the computer would only allow her to book row 7 and higher. I am Korean and speak it, so maybe that'll help me... we'll see, and I'll report back.

Thanks again for all your help, suggestions and kind thoughts.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 11:30 am
Original Poster

OK. So here is the update... I'm sitting right now is the KE lounge at LAX. As you all probably know, not a great lounge, but better than sitting out by the gate...

I spoke to the ticket agent for a while, asking for a seat in the first 4 rows of the a/c... "phantom F", and believe it or not, they gave me seat 3B! I think it really helped that I'm Korean and spoke Korean to her... not a good reason, but just my opinion.

One strange thing... I'm on a flight that is "direct" not nonstop to ICN, we stop (no change of equip) in NRT, but the ticket agent said that they could only guarantee this seat until NRT, but I may be asked in NRT to move from 3B to another seat... no biggie... the boarding pass printed out 3B all the way to ICN, but she changed it by hand and wrote in NRT. It should be interesting to see what happens in NRT when I get there. I'll be sure to post an update when I have a chance.

Thanks again for all your help and kind thoughts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.