Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Frances to Impact Delta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2004, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Hurricane Frances to Impact Delta

Wishing those in the path Good Luck and Stay Safe!

http://www.delta.com/travel/before/t...nces/index.jsp
Old Sep 2, 2004, 9:29 am

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
I was supposed to fly out of MSY for a biz trip to FLL this afternoon, returning through SRQ on Saturday morning. Obviously, that ain't happenin'.

I feel for those on FL-I only hope that Frances doesn't jump into the Gulf after FL....we'd be in B-I-G trouble if that happens.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Two times is enough but all of you Florida folks be safe and let us know when you are safe.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM MM
Originally Posted by NOLA Flyer
I was supposed to fly out of MSY for a biz trip to FLL this afternoon, returning through SRQ on Saturday morning. Obviously, that ain't happenin'.

I feel for those on FL-I only hope that Frances doesn't jump into the Gulf after FL....we'd be in B-I-G trouble if that happens.
I, too, am on the Gulf of Mexico, and am watching this storm with great trepidation. If it goes in the Gulf we could be right in the path. I also have a daughter in the Clearwater area. The entire state could feel the effects of this one.

I have printed off a list of "pet friendly" motels in case we have to evacuate with two dogs!

In hurricane Opal, the mobile home park I own suffered tremendous damage, as did my marina. The office had over three feet of water in it, and I lost a car. The saltwater corroded everything. I don't ever want to go through that again.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Long way off, but if you look at the projected path "cone", it eventually head for the ATL area, not as a hurricane, but one windy tropical rainstorm. This would probably disrupt the ATL hub in a major way come early next week.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dorlee

I have printed off a list of "pet friendly" motels in case we have to evacuate with two dogs!
Fair warning, Dorlee. I'm in CSG, and as of last night the local news reported that hotel rooms were booked solid through south GA, and that folks were starting to book as far north as ATL.

Of course, ATL stands to take a hit this time around too. I am not looking forward to my flights next week.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I just spoke with my mother in Margate. She told me that everybody east of Route 1 has been told to evacuate. Fortunately, she is a couple of miles west of it.

Originally Posted by sibley

Of course, ATL stands to take a hit this time around too. I am not looking forward to my flights next week.
I don't think ATL will be hit too hard by Frances, but God help it if the alphabetical list ever reaches Hurricane Vicki!
Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dovster
I just spoke with my mother in Margate. She told me that everybody east of Route 1 has been told to evacuate. Fortunately, she is a couple of miles west of it.

I don't think ATL will be hit too hard by Frances, but God help it if the alphabetical list ever reaches Hurricane Vicki!

If it approaches the intensity of Andrew, there will be incredible damage all the way to the Florida Turnpike, 10-15 miles inland.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by RobertS975
If it approaches the intensity of Andrew, there will be incredible damage all the way to the Florida Turnpike, 10-15 miles inland.
That's true, but it will be mostly wind damage, not flooding -- and that is what the evacuations are for.

My mother was there for Andrew, in the same house, and her entire condominium complex escaped serious damage. Of course, some trees were blown down and they lost electrical power for several days. She tells me she is well-stocked with candles, food, flashlights, batteries, and a portable radio.

I am more worried about my sister, who lives east of Route 1, practically on the water. Her husband, never the brightest bulb, has decided that they will not evacuate and she is going along with his decision.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Her husband, never the brightest bulb, has decided that they will not evacuate and she is going along with his decision.
Don't hold back, tell us what you really think about the guy.

Hope your family is safe, Dov.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:14 pm

I am more worried about my sister, who lives east of Route 1, practically on the water. Her husband, never the brightest bulb, has decided that they will not evacuate and she is going along with his decision.
Ugh, Dovster, I am sorry to hear this. I just do not understand people who insist on "riding the storm out". Talk about your bad ideas. Perhaps your sister will change her mind as the storm gets closer.

I agree that Frances probably won't do a great deal of physical harm to ATL...but as I'm sure you know, it doesn't take all that much to turn Hartsfield into a total zoo.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I was booked to go down to DAB tomorrow evening. Just checked my itineraries, and ATL-DAB has been cancelled. People might want to start rebooking now, since Delta's already cancelling.

By the way, reservations advised me not to try travelling before Monday, as they anticipate problems in ATL during/after the hurricane. (They implied that I'd probably end up rescheduling anyway if I tried to travel on Sat or Sun as my flights would probably be cancelled either into ATL or out of ATL)
Old Sep 2, 2004, 2:51 pm

Location: Hotlanta, GA; Starwood Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
...Her husband, never the brightest bulb, ...
Dovster, can I assume the hubby is not a regular FT'er?
Old Sep 2, 2004, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Razzle-D
Dovster, can I assume the hubby is not a regular FT'er?
Yup. If he were, what I said would have been a TOS violation.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
You have good reason to worry. As some may know, we live right across the street from the ocean and this is being written from the concierge lounge on the sixteenth floor of the Marriott FLL North, one of my local favorites with a covered parking lot. The water and electricity in our neighborhood will be turned off sometime this evening and the bridges will be closed to all traffic. Those that have elected to stay will not be able to change their minds if the going gets rougher than they anticipated. We are just crossing our fingers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.