Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M Class Intn'l Fares Through the Roof

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2004, 8:39 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by vasantn
I recently flew JFK-NRT on AA in J for $440 and a couple of upgrade certificates (the current fare is about $700). I can't imagine paying $6,500, much less $8,200, for the same experience on DL (which isn't even a nonstop).
This has been my experience for the last two years, not only to Asia but also to Europe and South America.

I'm sorry, but Delta's J class is NOT $1500+ better than American's C class.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Back when I was an int'l upgrader, I'd only purchase an M seat if the Z was available at time of booking. For people who have been purchasing Ms (presumably more for the upgrade eligibility than the MQMs), are you finding Z avail on these int'l flights?
I have been able to find Z ok though some have cleared after booking. I will use all PMUs this year.

Though DL's BE may not be as good as some OALs I frankly find it remarkable what some OALs will take for payment in J. A few hundered dollars plus miles may not make any economic sense.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 9:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CelticFlyer
Though DL's BE may not be as good as some OALs I frankly find it remarkable what some OALs will take for payment in J. A few hundered dollars plus miles may not make any economic sense.
The $440 JFK/NRT upgradeable fare from AA may have been a bargain but it's clearly not sustainable. And frankly I've got to question the common sense of any airline who would allow a fare this absurdly low to be upgraded.
Using the current domestic fares as a baseline, I feel an international fare in the $1,500+ range to be acceptable for upgrades. When you start getting to $2,000+, some resistance sets in and DL needs to make certain that their service level is up to par to expect these fares.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula
The $440 JFK/NRT upgradeable fare from AA may have been a bargain but it's clearly not sustainable.
Agreed. It's $700+ right now. But I've rarely seen it over $1,000 on AA.

And frankly I've got to question the common sense of any airline who would allow a fare this absurdly low to be upgraded.
Gotta disagree with you there. Makes for some very happy elites.

Using the current domestic fares as a baseline, I feel an international fare in the $1,500+ range to be acceptable for upgrades.
Only if you're used to DL's gouging (as I used to be) for upgradable fares. Now I only do that for flying to BOM, as realistically DL is the only game in town for that route if I want to upgrade. I paid $2,200 each for 3 M-fare tickets and was not a happy camper. But I don't blame DL for charging what the traffic will bear.

Last edited by vasantn; Aug 22, 2004 at 10:16 pm
Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
Only if you're used to DL's gouging (as I used to be) for upgradable fares.
Agreed. When I lived in LA, I'd take AA to LHR rt for $400 in the off season and $600 in low peak season and upgrade with miles no problem. DL's upgradeable fares are definitely higher than they should be... I agree with not allowing upgrades on LUTs, but personally I think HQKs should be upgradeable, or at least to elites or something.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Real Reason M fares are higher - IMHO

With the elimination of the rear cabin in the 767-300ER, DL has fewer BE seats to sell on all non-777 international routes. This means that to achieve the same load factor, they must sell (or award) fewer seats. Thus, with a shift in the supply curve to the left, equilibrium prices rise.

This is reflected most of all in M fares, in my view. BE prices haven't changed proportionately as much because there is competition (full-fare travelers can go to another airline). But Skymiles members trying to upgrade a ticket with miles generally can't go to another airline, thus DL can get away with raising the M-fare prices.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by EchoVictor
With the elimination of the rear cabin in the 767-300ER, DL has fewer BE seats to sell on all non-777 international routes. This means that to achieve the same load factor, they must sell (or award) fewer seats. Thus, with a shift in the supply curve to the left, equilibrium prices rise.

This is reflected most of all in M fares, in my view. BE prices haven't changed proportionately as much because there is competition (full-fare travelers can go to another airline). But Skymiles members trying to upgrade a ticket with miles generally can't go to another airline, thus DL can get away with raising the M-fare prices.
I wonder what proportion of M fares are actually upgraded. Unless it is very high I would imagine that the price is not defined by the upgrade capacity but rather by the role M fares play in revenue management.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by mhbaker
I'm still interested in hearing from folks who can provide a comparison between BE and business class on AA, CO and Virgin.
I can't speak for CO or Virgin, but BE is much superior to AA's business class. Besides a more comfortable and electrically adjustable seat, on the 767s you get multi-channel entertainment on DL and mains screen only on AA, and on the 777 AA has a middle seat in business. On the other hand, AA has a real F service on some of their international routes, whereas DL doesn't.

That said, I would much rather buy a $1000 ticket on AA and spend 50k miles to upgrade that to a middle seat in business, instead of buying a $2000 ticket on DL and spending 50k miles to upgrade. The product isn't nice enough to shell out the extra $1000. And since AA lets me upgrade from any fare, the off-season deals are that much better.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:55 am

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by mhbaker
The M fare from CVG was approximately $1900! I don't ever remember paying more than $1000 for an M class fare. I then checked the BE fare and it's slightly over $2000. There's a simplifare for you. I guess DL's made it clear what I can do (or more accurately not do) with my SkyMiles.
There are obviously many opinions about the pricing of Trans-Atlantic fares, but comparing the M-fare to an I-fare IMHO is like comparing apples and oranges, rather the M-fare should be compared to the J-fare.

The I-fare requires more than a month's advance purchase and 7 or more days stay. For many of us business types, this is just not feasible. The only alternative for say a 4 day travel to Europe is to purchase a full fare J ($8,000+) or an M ($ 1,800 - 2,200) that then can be upgraded with PMU's or miles. Thus, comparing M to J is a much more fair comparison and when doing that, you do get a lot of "bang" for your miles/certificate.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:53 am

...with a shift in the supply curve to the left, equilibrium prices rise.
I had flashbacks about my economics professor...
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:33 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
The $440 JFK/NRT upgradeable fare from AA may have been a bargain but it's clearly not sustainable. And frankly I've got to question the common sense of any airline who would allow a fare this absurdly low to be upgraded.
Using the current domestic fares as a baseline, I feel an international fare in the $1,500+ range to be acceptable for upgrades. When you start getting to $2,000+, some resistance sets in and DL needs to make certain that their service level is up to par to expect these fares.
That assumes all seats are sold for $440 + upgrade currency and definitely they are not.

What it does, though, is reward those who have given plenty of business to AA the chance to use their miles or certs in any manner they see fit, subject to availability and capacity controls. Delta is much more stingy, offering no opportunity for those miles or certs to be used on cheap fares. As a result, a large portion of my business and leisure travel is on AA and very little, if any, on DL. This means that when it's time for me to choose a carrier for those paid J/C/Y fares, DL is not even a candidate - only AA and sometimes US are considered.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
DL can apparently fill their B/E flights quite easily so they really have no reason to scale back the fares and/or requirements for upgrading. And the other US majors have either one or two feet in the grave themselves and are hardly role models for how to price an international fare.
I want to see DL healthy for a variety of reasons and if they can pull off a higher price on international routes, more power to them. But at some point...sooner rather than later... they're going to have to make sure their B/E service is equal to or superior to the competition.
I think Cholula is on the mark, as usual, with his various points above, and indufan's comments above on supply and demand. And look at the bright side.
If some people balk at paying those fares--either upgradeable M or BE (I)--there should be more availability for those willing to do so. DAL isn't trying to fly those planes back and forth with bunches of empty seats.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 2:16 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
EV, stop trying to confuse the discussion with sound economic reasoning.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 2:52 pm

M Class through the roof

Originally Posted by FTraveler
I used to book upgradeable DL M fares HNL-LGW that were running about $1,200. Over the past two years, they creeped up to $1,400, $1,700, and are now $2,200.

I use UA to LHR now, with $1,000 fares upgradeable with SWUs and $1,200 fares with miles.
This week I checked M class fares to UK. How about $2629? It was about $1800 this time last year.

It makes you wonder what PMUs are worth. I see it as a stealth PM take away.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
I paid $1249 for an M fare from BDL to NRT. I used a PMU to upgrade.

I have a number of London flights coming up and on DL , even in "T" I am looking at close to $1,000. The M fares are pricing close to $2800

I am now booking all my flights on VS and UA. The highest fare paid was $603 w/tax, that was in UA. I'd rather fly JFK-LHR or BOS-LHR non-stop. LHR is much easier to fly through anyway (I hate Gatwick).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.