Hurricane Charley - Florida Airport Operations

Old Aug 12, 2004, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Hurricane Charley - Florida Airport Operations

Attention for anyone flying from/to TPA (Tampa) and/or PIE (St Petersburg) tomorrow or late tonight: both airports are scheduled to close at 9pm EST Thursday, Aug 12 and remain closed on Friday, Aug 13.

In case you need to be somewhere urgently tomorrow, I suggest you try and get a hold of DL and get rebooked on the GNV (Gainesville)- ATL (Atlanta) flights early tomorrow morning, i.e. the 5am and 6:30am departures. If Delta operates this evening's late ATL-GNV flights they will definitely want to get the birds out of GNV so the flights tomorrow early AM are likely to operate, though not certain.

So get rebooked to GNV if/while you can!

Check out these links:
www.sptimes.com
www.tampatrib.com
www.fly2pie.com
www.gra-gnv.com
www.tampaairport.com
Old Aug 12, 2004, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
ATA has posted it's advisory. Delta?

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/mi...E=Aug+12,+2004
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
ATA has posted it's advisory. Delta?
Its right on the homepage:
Storms affect southeast U.S. and Caribbean.

There are individual pages for Bonnie and Charley.

I am not a sanctioned representative of Delta on these boards, just an interested participant. I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board and to provide my opinion and/or to try to answer Qs. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question (in any capacity). Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions to get a corporately-supported reply. www.delta.com/email

Last edited by UnofficialDLHelper; Aug 13, 2004 at 10:36 pm
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Arrow TPA Update

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/08/12/We...nd_at_no.shtml

Seems like the last flight out of TPA will be tomorrow before noon (Friday, Aug 13).

From looking at DL's flights TPA-ATL, however, I noticed that all flights tomorrow on the route have been cancelled. Tonight's (Thu, Aug 12) late night ATL-TPA planes (the 11pm and 1am arrivals) are turning right back to ATL and flying during the night as 9XXX flight numbers.

I think NW and US might operate flights in the morning to get planes out of the airport; likewise, other carriers may be operating early morning departures.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: NW Plat, UA 2P, DL FO, HH Silver, Starwood Gold
It appears that the bad weather will begin between 11am-12n with landfall later in the evening. If anyone can get out early in the a.m., do it. This is simply going to be nasty!!
Old Aug 13, 2004, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I know that there were numerous cancellations of Song flights LGA-TPA and the equipment for a TPA flight was inserted for the 9PM to FLL and it was wheels up for us at about 1145P arriving FLL at 240A. It appears that the 5P FLL-EWR which was supposed to make up the equipment for that flight did not depart FLL until after 1AM due to both weather and a security alert.

Note - For the first time in years, there was a table set up at LGA with three or four TSA people pulling pax aside and giving them the full treatment. Also, IDs were checked by both a TSA man and the DL gate agents before boarding. Either the security alert was for more than the one Song flight or the TSA gang was sitting around with nothing to do and some supervisor got a bright idea.

It was an end gate at LGA and the 757 was boarded from door 1, with row boarding instead of the awful zoning. This zone 6 camper was happy not to be last onto the airplane and get some overhead for a change.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like RSW might get the worst of it and it might be a cat 4 by the time it gets there. To all of our Florida FT friends, be careful and let us know you are OK when you can.

Delta via The Weather Channel just announced that all Florida flights are cancelled as of 3 PM today.

Last edited by indufan; Aug 13, 2004 at 11:38 am Reason: To add the cancellation part
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Looks like RSW might get the worst of it and it might be a cat 4 by the time it gets there. To all of our Florida FT friends, be careful and let us know you are OK when you can.

Delta via The Weather Channel just announced that all Florida flights are cancelled as of 3 PM today.
All Florida flights? Even MLB? I was supposed to get back late last night, changed to get in about 8:30pm last night. DL agents were so nice!!!
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traveller
All Florida flights? Even MLB? I was supposed to get back late last night, changed to get in about 8:30pm last night. DL agents were so nice!!!
Yes, that is what TWC said. But, I suppose they could have over generalized.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The orlando intl airport shows a lot of cancellations after 5pm ( not surprisingly) .

The 2 VS flights ( for example)due out at 550pm and 615pm ( LGW/MAN) aree leaving early ( about 5pm)

Good luck to everybody out there.

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 13, 2004, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
That is what I came to this thread to request.

(Gee, it feels good to be in Israel and worry about people in the US!
Old Aug 13, 2004, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traveller
All Florida flights? Even MLB?
Apparently MLB and points north are now good until 8 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Well, Here has been my attempts to get to MCO today:

Original ITN:
TUL-DFW, DL6307 5:25PM-6:33PM
DFW-MCO, DL669 7:48PM-11:27PM

1st Change (SDC):
TUL-ATL, DL650 1:10PM-4:13PM
ATL-MCO, DL1483 5:33PM-7:00PM

2nd Change (DL1483 CXLD):
TUL-DFW, DL6307 5:25PM-6:33PM
DFW-ATL, DL166 7:50PM-10:55PM
ATL-MCO, DL991 11:30PM-12:52AM

3rd Change (DL991 CXLD):
TUL-CVG, DL6297 7:00PM-9:50PM
CVG-MCO, DL9749 11:15PM-1:22AM

4th Change (DL9749 CXLD) (NOW 14TH):
TUL-DFW, DL6314 5:45AM-6:53AM
DFW-MCO, DL857 7:45AM-11:16AM

lol, boy has it been a morning! We shall see what tomorrow holds... I just got a call and was told that there was a tornado about a mile from my home... ugh! more to come...
Old Aug 13, 2004, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite

I'm high & dry in Michigan visiting dad. Flew up last nite (changed from orig flight tonite). I'm scheduled to return Sunday afternoon. My house should be OK, I'm in the area where they evacuate TO.

We bought a house for my parents, they will be moving down near me soon. I'm still scratching my head wondering if he can fly commercial flight or if we need an air ambulance.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 3:05 pm

Local TV is reporting RSW lost some runway lighting fixtures and may have suffered some taxiway damage.

...prepare accordingly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.