FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   The Future of SONG, Here to Stay or Going Away? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/340543-future-song-here-stay-going-away.html)

GoCanes Jul 26, 2004 2:18 pm

The Future of SONG, Here to Stay or Going Away?

I have heard some comments about the future of SONG among separate threads. I am not sure where SONG is headed, but it seems some think it is going away and some think it is not. With a new CEO and trying to reband itself (as what I am not sure), do you think SONG fits into DL's future?

Spiff Jul 26, 2004 3:28 pm

It doesn't fit into my future, that's for sure.

RSSrsvp Jul 26, 2004 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
It doesn't fit into my future, that's for sure.

I wasn't aware that you had one with DL. :)

monitor Jul 26, 2004 4:14 pm

With the advent of US LGA-FLL service, I will no longer have any reason to fly on Song (except if US is sold out). I suspect that there are a sizeable number of business travelers who will defect to a company that will recognize its best customers and treat them properly.
This actually could be the death knell of Song, for all they're getting nowadays anyway are the save-a-penny leisure travelers who have found out that they've become cheaper than JetBlue and those of us who have let ourselves get trapped in pursuit of the DL MQMs for 2004. After November 7, they'll probably no longer have many of us.

El Perro Jul 26, 2004 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp

and makes me wonder why this guy posts here if that is the case.

El Boocho Jul 26, 2004 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by monitor
I suspect that there are a sizeable number of business travelers who will defect to a company that will recognize its best customers and treat them properly.

I think the roaches on the US board might disagree with you that US recognizes its best customers and treats them properly. I fly US as much as DL (gold on both), but personally I prefer DL in almost every way.

WASfireman Jul 26, 2004 4:29 pm

In DC

Being in DC with US all around, I am still fond of Delta when the cost is competitive. I am willing to pay a little more to fly out of DCA and to take the flight on Delta.

WASfireman

El Boocho Jul 26, 2004 4:33 pm

Harness The Good Energy, Block Out The Bad

Originally Posted by El Perro
and makes me wonder why this guy posts here if that is the case.

Spiff dislikes DL slightly less than the TSA, but he does have lots of DL related knowledge. Ocassionaly he even cares to share it. ;) I have met few FTers who can truely "work the system" as well as he can. Just try to filter out the negativity and focus on the good stuff. Same goes for Mikey1003.

Spiff Jul 26, 2004 4:59 pm

Waaaaa

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp

When there's no future
how can there be sin?
We're the flowers
in the dustbin!
We're the poison
in your human machine!
We're the future..
Your future..

No future....

No future for you...

No future for me.....

-Sex Pistols, God Save the Queen

Sirecca Jul 26, 2004 5:59 pm

I don't think DL has any idea with what to do with Song, which probably means it will quietly fade away. The marketing strategy always was elusive to me anyway. Supposedly the "low-cost" arm of DL but per everyone I ever talked to at DL: "the same planes, same pilots, and same level of service." How does that work?

USCGamecock Jul 26, 2004 7:31 pm

I think the fat lady will be singing soon. ;)

RunawayNFly Jul 26, 2004 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
I think the fat lady will be singing soon. ;)

I agree. They need to move the IFE to mainline and keep 2 cabin aircraft.

CoMooter Jul 26, 2004 9:09 pm

From a coach standpoint Song was meant to fight B6...clearly it has not worked as intended. With DALPA still shaking down DL on these flights it is debatable how much is being 'saved' on operating these flights vs. just operating them as mainline. Same FA's, same ground handling, same rez systems.

The only thing that is being saved is no F, but from what I gather from the folks that are still flying this carrier, that is even less than it used to be also.

FoPAA Jul 26, 2004 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by CoMooter
Same FA's...

Bzzzzt - wrong! :p

martin33 Jul 26, 2004 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by CoMooter
From a coach standpoint Song was meant to fight B6...clearly it has not worked as intended. With DALPA still shaking down DL on these flights it is debatable how much is being 'saved' on operating these flights vs. just operating them as mainline. Same FA's, same ground handling, same rez systems.

The only thing that is being saved is no F, but from what I gather from the folks that are still flying this carrier, that is even less than it used to be also.

that's confusing Song with Ted. Unlike Ted, Song actually does have lower cost components than mainline, including more pilot productivity with better aircraft usage. It just appears all of that was more than wiped out in paint, promotion, and Kate Spade. And still the cost level is well above B6 so how can it possibly work at its intended task...

isn't the 757 cancellation w/ Boeing a near-sign that Song has no longrun future?