Search

Shake up at Skymiles, Rob Borden out

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2004, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Exclamation Shake up at Skymiles, Rob Borden out

Just heard from an "unnamed source" that there is movement within Delta.

Seems that Rob Borden, Virginia Avenue Manager/Director of Skymiles program is moving on. Rob was the front runner and lead the movement to make all of last year's changes. Rob also lead the meeting with the EWR four.....

Maybe more changes are on the horizon. Maybe Skymiles program will regain some of it's original luster/ maybe not?

Hopefully, replacement for Borden will be more Elite customer friendly.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by mikey1003
Just heard from an "unnamed source" that there is movement within Delta.

Seems that Rob Borden, Virginia Avenue Manager/Director of Skymiles program is moving on. Rob was the front runner and lead the movement to make all of last year's changes. Rob also lead the meeting with the EWR four.....

Maybe more changes are on the horizon. Maybe Skymiles program will regain some of it's original luster/ maybe not?

Hopefully, replacement for Borden will be more Elite customer friendly.
An enhancement indeed.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
You are crushed, aren't you Mikey?
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Wow, I just came home from dinner and was about to post the same news. I also heard this from an "unnamed source".

I wonder how many "loyal and faithful" elites were driven away from DL because of Rob Borden's enhanced Skymiles program? This had to contribute to DL's losses in the last year and a half.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:01 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
Wow, I just came home from dinner and was about to post the same news. I also heard this from an "unnamed source".

I wonder how many "loyal and faithful" elites were driven away from DL because of Rob Borden's enhanced Skymiles program? This had to contribute to DL's losses in the last year and a half.
I think everyone knows I was one. 23,000 MQMs ytd vs. 68,000 Q-Points on AA. And next week when I come to the dinner (yes, I'm coming, can you believe it), I'll be flying AA. I still enjoy my DL flights, but 100% loyalty to DL is gone because of Bob
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

At least. Rob had the cajones to meet with the EWR 4 and upgrade Mikey from CVG. I do think he tried. I wish Rob well. With luck, he will become another UDH.
Best wishes, Rob. To the extent that you tried to make a difference--thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP - US CP
I wish I could agree with O2K but I see Rob as totally misguided, out of touch and destructive. At a time when Delta should have been working with Elite flyers Rob singlehandedly alienated and angered Delta's most valuable customers (I consider anyone who flys 100 segments valuable). For someone who headed a "loyalty" program, Rob had no understanding of what loyalty was nor its value. I believe he did tremendous harm to Delta and sadly, I suspect he still has no idea of what he did. I am glad to see him go but it may well be too late for Delta even if they return Skymiles to where it was before he destroyed the program. I just hope Rob doesn't end up screwing up some other airline. Good luck Rob. I am NOT sorry to see you go...

Last edited by EyeFlyDoc; Jun 16, 2004 at 11:19 pm
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by EyeFlyDoc
I wish I could agree with O2K but I see Rob as totally misguided, out of touch and destructive. At a time when Delta should have been working with Elite flyers Rob singlehandedly alienated and angered Delta's most valuable customers (I consider anyone who flys 100 segments valuable). For someone who headed a "loyalty" program, Rob had no understanding of what loyalty was nor its value. I believe he did tremendous harm to Delta and sadly, I suspect he still has no idea of what he did. I am glad to see him go but it may well be too late for Delta even if they return Skymiles to where it was before he destroyed the program. I just hope Rob doesn't end up screwing up some other airline. Good luck Rob. I am NOT sorry to see you go...
EyeFlyDoc....as one of the most involved of the SSM's activist's, you are again right on with your opinion.
I believe it's time for DL to consider a battle-hardened FF for this job instead of a fresh-faced, know-it-all Harvard MBA who has never spent any substantial time in a business travel environment. There are many posters on this board who have the extensive travel experience as well as the knowledge of how to successfully run a business unit that would more than qualify as Rob's replacement.
DL needs some real world experience and understanding of what motivates FF's as well as the understanding of what it takes to profitably run and grow an airline FF program in today's environment.
I can think of several posters in this forum alone that have the experience, passion, knowledge and business acumen to lead DL on the path to building their SM's program back to it's previous world-class level.

Last edited by Cholula; Jun 16, 2004 at 11:48 pm
Old Jun 17, 2004, 1:55 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Ta-ta, Rob. May your departure be swift and your severance package miniscule.

Perhaps if your successor undoes all the damage you've done + fixes international upgrades + comps those of us who left to our original levels, I might consider returning.... nah, USAir is just fine as domestic airline #2.

I must thank you, however. If it weren't for your arrogance and contempt for loyal SkyMiles members, I'd have never started flying AA. I'm well beyond lifetime Gold there now and did that 8 years faster than I would have for the same recognition on DL. I have also enjoyed many business class trips on an airline that allows frequent flyers to actually use their miles for upgrades without extorting ridiculous fares out of them while often putting a non-rev in their upgrade seat anyway.

Good riddance and thank you!
Old Jun 17, 2004, 1:56 am

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Will Patrice Miles be joining him?
Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:53 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Cholula
[b]
DL needs some real world experience and understanding of what motivates FF's as well as the understanding of what it takes to profitably run and grow an airline FF program in today's environment.
I can think of several posters in this forum alone that have the experience, passion, knowledge and business acumen to lead DL on the path to building their SM's program back to it's previous world-class level.
I nominate the man with the tasty sauce in his hand!

Who else on this board might/could/maybe be the new SkyMiles Czar on Virgina Avenue?

Last edited by woody125; Jun 17, 2004 at 3:54 am Reason: Me's gramar and speling was not write.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 4:00 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
When oh when will Miss Vicky follow Mr. Rob out the door?
Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:04 am

Didn't Borden do some lesser damage at AA before coming to DL?

Let's hope this guy's next job is outside the airline business, perhaps at Greyhound! Or if it is an airline, hopefully it will be someone like Aeroflot or Olympic, or Tarom, or perhaps Air Montenegro (if there is such an airline).

Good riddance!

For me, I have seen the greener pastures at NW, thanks to Borden, and it is very unlikely I will be back. Otherwise, I would still be a loyal DL flyer, paying more for less service.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:18 am

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
Count me as one....thus far this year:

DL - 2,385 MQM
NW - >41,000 EQM (95% B fares)
Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Talking May as well join the celebration!

EyeFlyDoc got it exactly right. Rob Borden single-handedly did more damage to Delta than anybody except Leo Mullin (and the others included in the funding of non-qualified pensions). He drove me to United, where I am happily ensconced. Incidentally, I don't know all the details, but I'm pretty sure that Rob is far from a Harvard MBA. He's just another smarty-pants who somehow convinced Delta's management that he held the answers to all their financial woes: gut the frequent-flyer program. Instead, he drove away countless valuable customers, many of whom are gone forever. Just in my case, I have year-to-date 78,000 United miles but only 14,041 MQMs. Speaks for itself!

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.