Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2004, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Grinstein: Airline Can't Survive as Is

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...lines_delta_dc
Old Jun 16, 2004, 7:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium

This announcement of further doom and gloom will do wonders for DAL stock which, "Thanks Paine Webber", I sold a few years ago......
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:13 am

Location: GSP DL 4MM/PM/FC, US Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Gold
Me Too

I got out of DAL a while back, too, Cholula, because I no longer held Delta's product in high regard. It's too bad that the company is headed south, but they've pretty much shot themselves in the foot. I know a lot of folks didn't like Ron Allen, but he at least kept the customer in mind.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:21 am

Programs: UA-2P, Hyatt-Plat, SPG-Gold, Marriott-Silver, Delta-Boycott
Talking Boo Hoo

Serves them right!!

For the past few years I have gone out of my way to fly CO, UA or Airtran even for a few $$ more BEFORE flying Delta.

They treated their customers like crap!

Want great customer service, fly United!

J
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:51 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I like this attitude! More upgrades for me.. I find that the crews are the most friendly around. And I very rarely talk to anyone other than a CRC agent, who are also great.

Originally Posted by jasonlaser
Serves them right!!

For the past few years I have gone out of my way to fly CO, UA or Airtran even for a few $$ more BEFORE flying Delta.

They treated their customers like crap!

Want great customer service, fly United!

J
Old Jun 16, 2004, 9:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I hope they stick around......

I hope they stick around long enough to get my long planned award trip to Europe in the Spring of 2005....
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:03 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by jfulcher
I like this attitude! More upgrades for me.. I find that the crews are the most friendly around. And I very rarely talk to anyone other than a CRC agent, who are also great.
Enjoy those upgrades!

I agree the staff is awesome, but that's not enough to make up for all the other shortcomings of this airline's aircraft and frequent flyer program.

In some twisted way, I am suddenly reminded of the Simpsons episode where Ned's Leftorium flop has driven Ned to sell his possessions to Homer while Homer lowballs him on the price:

"No cash for Neddy! Homer keep all money! Bye-bye Neddy!"

I'm not gloating, but the FF program continues to suck, so I and others continue to book elsewhere. I really doubt improving SkyMiles could make DAL's financial situation worse, and yet it remains in its pristine, sucky state...

Last edited by Spiff; Jun 16, 2004 at 10:10 am
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:10 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Spiff, what's wrong with the aircraft?
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by JS
Spiff, what's wrong with the aircraft?
Too many improperly-deployed RJs (on routes > 1 hour), too many 1-class planes and an abysmal coach product on 2-class planes.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:35 am
JS
Suspended

Spiff, we've been over this a thousand times. Regional jets are SUPPOSED to be flown long distances. That's why they come with jet engines and a high service ceiling. Using a regional jet on a short route is a waste of money.

When you say there are too many one-class planes, are you including RJ's, or just the Shuttle 737-800's? First Class on a RJ is stupid IMHO, and there aren't that many Shuttle 737's.

The mainline coach product is, well, coach quality, but what's so surprising about that? I almost always get upgraded for free, so who cares?
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by JS
Spiff, we've been over this a thousand times. Regional jets are SUPPOSED to be flown long distances. That's why they come with jet engines and a high service ceiling. Using a regional jet on a short route is a waste of money.

When you say there are too many one-class planes, are you including RJ's, or just the Shuttle 737-800's? First Class on a RJ is stupid IMHO, and there aren't that many Shuttle 737's.

The mainline coach product is, well, coach quality, but what's so surprising about that? I almost always get upgraded for free, so who cares?
I really don't care what it says on paper about flying limits of RJs. I, the person who is asked to part with his money in exchange for travel, don't want to be on one for more than an hour!

One class planes include Shuttle and Song. I've already been on way too many of the former to ever want to get on the latter.

Even before I was downgraded to Gold, I lost out on some upgrades as a Plat because I was on a cheap fare and those who had paid more but flew less beat me out. In my opinion, that's contrary to the spirit of a FF program. I am not willing to risk a ride in DL's lousy coach product because I happen to be on an insULT fare.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:48 am

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by JS
You are joking, right? As a 6'3" 250 lb pax, sitting beside another "big person" or parent with child on lap (especially in the window seat) on a CRJ is as close to torture as I would ever like to come no matter what the length of fligt. "High service Ceiling", I think not, I for one cannot stand up straight in a CRJ cabin
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:04 am
JS
Suspended

The service ceiling is the highest altitude the plane should fly. It is 41,000 feet for the CRJ. A higher altitude allows for faster speeds and lower fuel consumption, which greatly increases range.

I hate the CRJ, too, and I avoid it as much as possible.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:09 am

Location: GSP DL 4MM/PM/FC, US Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
You are joking, right? As a 6'3" 250 lb pax, sitting beside another "big person" or parent with child on lap (especially in the window seat) on a CRJ is as close to torture as I would ever like to come no matter what the length of fligt. "High service Ceiling", I think not, I for one cannot stand up straight in a CRJ cabin
I'm 5'6" and I'd rather be on a rack than ride on a RJ. I really feel sorry for guys like you in such a torture chamber.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JS
There is no "supposed to" about it. The cabins on DL's RJs are not equipped with 3 hour flights in mind regardless of whether the aircraft can do so or not.

Last edited by bdschobel; Jun 16, 2004 at 11:51 am Reason: repair coding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.