Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Amex - Unusual Problem

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2004, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Delta Amex - Unusual Problem

I'm having an unusual problem with this credit card. I have been checking my credit card statements, and the statements show the points posting. However, they are not posting to my account or my spouse's SkyMiles account. Its been almost 6 months, so that is not the problem.

Should I call Amex or Delta about this? Can I write to someone as well?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Call Amex and ask them what is the Skymiles account number that your card is linked to. I had a similar problem 2 years ago with Visa and CO. They had a different OnePass account number assigned to me even though I had given them the correct account number when I signed up for the card.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 9:47 pm

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
Unusual Problem

Sorry to have to welcome you to this club. My AMEX points quit posting to Delta in July, 2002 (not 2003). I have called, written, etc. AMEX said the points were sent over and one Delta rep. was able to see where they hit Delta and then Delta rejected them. In addition, since the points were not posting, the 10,000 bonus did not post until I called and screamed and got it manually posted in November. I have called numerous times, and occasionally a large number of points would be manually posted. After my third letter in late December, the points started posting again in January, but then they stopped after February. Letter #4 got a block of points posted in April, but I'm betting none will post in May.

What has been most frustrating is that there is something wrong with the computer program that causes it to reject the miles from AMEX, but there is no way to talk to a computer person to explain what is going on. I have in my last three letters asked that someone who knows what is going on call me so we can talk. No such luck.

Start writing and complaining now. But I have no confidence in Delta's ability to find and fix the problem, and the fact they will not respond to me or my requests to validate and report back the actual number of points and the fact the problem is fixed makes me thhink they are all bumbling idiots who are incapable of fixing the problem.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:11 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Miles from AMEX stopped posting on DL sometime in Sept. 2003--that is when AMEX tried to transfer 5000 MQM (owed to me for upgrading from AMEX Gold DL Skymiles card to the AMEX Platinum DL Sklymiles card.) In October 2003, AMEX "loaned" me miles. Somewhere in January of 2004 miles started posting on an irregular basis. I still have not gotten the 5000 MQM, even though AMEX has sent me four letters confirming their attempt at a transfer. If I call AMEX they tell me to call DL; if I call DL they tell me to call AMEX. In June of 2004 I should receive 10,000 MQM miles--I spent over $25,000 on my AMEX PL Skmiles card. I cannot tell whether any of the miles I do receive are correct, since they don't exactly match the totals that appear on my AMEX statement. Maybe if enough people are having problems, a "class action" suit can be initiated.
PS: Someone I spoke with once suggested that if an attempt to transfer miles does not succeed, those miles and many future transfers do not actually take place.

Last edited by nrr; Apr 26, 2004 at 10:15 pm
Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:00 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Once you get some miles dump the card. Amex is the worst!
Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
AMEX error means mine are being witheld

I wish Delta had just deducted the erroneous miles instead of AMEX insisting on witholding the amount they overpaid me after last year's double miles fiasco.
These days, I pretty much use the card only for double miles (groceries, etc.) and iDine joints.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement.

It sounds like the problem is AMEX. I knew I was in for a hassle, and I just want to know if I should start with AMEX or DL. Sounds like the recommendation is both, since AMEX customer service is next to worthless.

BTW, I do plan to cancel the card. I have a starwood amex which is superior to the DL card because you can transfer 20K starwood to become 25K DL. I also have a 2% cash rebate MC that pays into my kid's 529 plan with Upromise.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 8:49 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I would keep calling AMEX - if you get a good Rep - tell them to contact their Delta Skymiles Liason. Apparently, DL often rejects transfers if they are pretty large and have to manually authorize it. Happened to us late last year with the 10k MQM due in Oct - didn't get posted until manually done in late Dec. Since then, miles have been posting normally.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:35 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
MY wife and I both have had AXP Sky Miles cards since they were first introduced several years ago and ours always post to our respective SM accounts about a day or two after the billing cycle ends. Sometimes, extra miles for certain promotions post two to three weeks later. But they do post. So the system can work flawlessly, but I do know from other expereineces that dealing with customer service reps OF ANY COMPANY can be frustrating. One thing I've done with success in the past is if I'm getting nothing accomplished through the customer service reps or their supervisors, I'll just call the company's corporate headquarters and get somewhere there (I do this only if I'm getting no where in several tries through the regular channels). It's amazing how quickly that can solve the problem. Also, I'd recommend documenting everytime you talk with someone on the phone: note the date, time, the gist of the conversation and what is promised and MOST IMPORTANTLY, get the full name or first name and badge number or name and call center location of who you are talking to. I think things are more likely to get done if someone knows that you can directly link them with the situation. And, if it doesn't, it's much better when you call back to say "I talked with Sally Smith on 4-21-04 and then Cholula at your Southern California office on 4-24-04... rather than "well, I talked with someone the other day..."

Last edited by atl runner; Apr 27, 2004 at 10:38 am
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by LemonThrower
Thanks for the encouragement.

It sounds like the problem is AMEX. I knew I was in for a hassle, and I just want to know if I should start with AMEX or DL. Sounds like the recommendation is both, since AMEX customer service is next to worthless.

BTW, I do plan to cancel the card. I have a starwood amex which is superior to the DL card because you can transfer 20K starwood to become 25K DL. I also have a 2% cash rebate MC that pays into my kid's 529 plan with Upromise.
The problem is apparently not Amex, but DL. I have two separate Amex Platinum cards each of which qualifies for the 10K threshold bonus, but only one of the card will ever post. Amex keeps trying to send all the points and bonuses from the other card but DL won't accept them. Amex is apparently well aware of the problem, but I have called countless times and the fix is not forthcoming.

And the funny thing is that DL gets paid by Amex for these miles and bonuses!
Old Apr 27, 2004, 3:03 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobertS975
The problem is apparently not Amex, but DL. I have two separate Amex Platinum cards each of which qualifies for the 10K threshold bonus, but only one of the card will ever post. Amex keeps trying to send all the points and bonuses from the other card but DL won't accept them. Amex is apparently well aware of the problem, but I have called countless times and the fix is not forthcoming.

And the funny thing is that DL gets paid by Amex for these miles and bonuses!
I also believe that DL is at fault--but correcting the problem is the problem!
AMEX can transfer normal miles manually, but MQM miles it seems is not so easy. I just wrote to DL's Corporate Headquarters, per a suggestion, of one of the agents I spoke with...maybe this will get some action.
In a message I received from AMEX: "both AMEX and DL are aware of the posting problem you are experiencing, and we are attempting to solve it. Please be patient until we find a solution."
[PS: I was 268 miles short of getting Silver Medallion for 2004, but even though the 5000 MQM miles I was promised by AMEX had not posted, I still was given SM for 2004. ]
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:15 am
Original Poster

I started with Amex. They actually told me it was their problem, because they didn't have a skymiles no. on file. Not sure how that happened, because I made sure they had it when I opened the account. They said wait 24-48 hours for the points to post. Nothing yet. We shall see.

Moral of the story is check both your Amex statements and your DL statements.
Old May 5, 2004, 10:09 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Same Problem

Unfortunately both my husband and I are having the same problem.

We each have our own Delta Plat cards-- each of us passed our renewal dates recently and both of our miles are stuck in limbo now.

I am really mad, bc when I finally spoke to someone familiar with the problem
she basically admitted to me that it may not be fixed for MONTHS

They are offering no solution, other than to "keep track of our statements" and they will "loan us" the miles if we need them

This is ridiculous. At this point, my husband has almost 30K points that haven't posted and I have over 15K.

The reason for the problem is the 10000 MQM bonus miles posting as soon as we hit the $25K spending threshold. The computer is now set to block miles if another 10000 is sent within a calendar year.

I've been contemplating switching from Delta to AA anyways. This will probably push me over the edge. And I love my Starwood Amex card.

If Delta and Amex can't fix this soon, I will cancel our Delta cards and use our Citi AAdvantage and Starwood cards instead.
Old May 5, 2004, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Unhappy

Originally Posted by peteropny
I would keep calling AMEX - if you get a good Rep - tell them to contact their Delta Skymiles Liason.
Yes. However, some reps deny the existance of a Liason, others have told me the Liason exists but is in a different phone system where they can't talk directly to the Liason. So, you may need to get a supervisor, and get the supervisor to get the Liason on the phone... which half the time they'll tell you is impossible, and may be

Same situation, getting the mqm bonus credited, Amex said they'd sent it to Delta, Delta said they hadn't rec'd it; Amex said I had to talk to Delta, Delta said I had to talk to Amex... took several months to get it to show up (and to get it credited in the proper year, so it would count towards the following years medallion status).

So follow up with it in writing. Get the direct fax line to the Amex skymiles office, and send them a note detailing the dates, amount that wasn't credited, and your skymiles number. If you generate a papertrail you're more likely to get credited quickly.

Same thing with partner mileage that isn't credited, you need to fax to the right office at Delta.
Old May 5, 2004, 2:00 pm

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
Unusual Problem

What's the Delta Fax number? I have now sent four letters to Delta,and they fix one problem and break another re: credits for AMEX. Each time I ask that they have an IT person contact me to discuss the problem and I have yet to hear the phone ring. I have asked for a validation of my miles. Nada. Asked for posting the 10K nada. Instead, big clumps (24K) appear. And this has been going on since July 2002. Seems to me that it shouldn't take almost two years to fix it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.