Why do you fly (or not fly) Delta?

Old Apr 26, 04, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Why do you fly (or not fly) Delta?

There seems to be a pretty even split between pro-delta and anti-delta sentiment here, so I was wondering why, specifically, do you fly Delta? If you do not like flying DL, I can guess your reasons, but your responses are welcome

The main reason I fly delta is because of the unlimited U/Gs (I know a lot of people are under 50%, but I am 100% YTD with nothing higher than a K as a GM), the widebodies on domestic routes and above all- the people.
Old Apr 26, 04, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Thumbs down 2 reasons for no DL

1)50% EQM on cheap fares. Not negotiable.

2)Lousy, craptapular international upgrade policy. I'm not paying a premium just for the privilege of using my miles. DL acts like my FF miles are worthless when it comes to this matter.
Old Apr 26, 04, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL Gold/SW A+ - HH Diamond, Marriott/IHG Gold
I fly Delta mostly because I started out flying mostly to DAB, and after 9/11 became the only airline in DAB for a while. Their 8 or 9 flights a day to CVG and ATL are much more convenient for getting anywhere than CO (CO has 2 flights to EWR on an EMB-145, I believe), and I don't want to have to travel to MCO or JAX.

MQM's have been pretty good to me, even though I'm a lowly FO and initially I thought they were going to be pretty bad. However, my MQM's for 2003 were higher than I thought they were going to be. Even on upgrades this year, I'm at 100% (I've only made a couple trips though, so it's a very small and off-peak sample).

I'm probably in the minority here for liking Delta, but they seem to fit me quite well.

Last edited by sammy343; Apr 26, 04 at 9:31 pm Reason: Eye kant spell right
Old Apr 26, 04, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I fly DL mostly out of habit as they were my primary airline for over 20 years. The planes are familiar as are many of the GA's and FA's and I do like being able to upgrade if and when I can find mainline metal flying to my destination.
But DL broke my spirit over the last couple years and I now find myself flying other airlines on a regular basis. That would never have entered my mind until the RJ explosion along with the cutbacks to the Medallion program.
Old Apr 26, 04, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Why do you fly (or not fly) Delta?

For me, I fly several international legs a year on M or above fares, and some other HQK fares within the US, so despite DL's recent shenanigans and poor performance, its as good a fit for me as any other major carrier..

Delta's erratic business decisions, sagging service and anti-customer policies also allows me to make humourous quips, like..

"Delta: No waivers, no favors"

"Delta Air Lines: Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

"Delta: The only thing hotter than our ex-customers is Cholula!"

"Delta: Turning away customers since 2003"

"ask about our $20.00 slice of in-flight cheesecake.. you could have bought it in ATL for $10!"

"Delta: We're like ASA, but have bigger planes, and are only slightly out of our minds.."

"Delta: You mean you don't NORMALLY pay more for less?"

""Enhancing" your travel experience - take this duct tape and get on the wing!"

"Delta Air Lines: Donít complain, You could be flying Aeroflot!"

Last edited by heckler; Apr 26, 04 at 9:41 pm
Old Apr 26, 04, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by heckler
For me, I fly several international legs a year on M or above fares, and some other HQK fares within the US, so despite DL's recent shenanigans and poor performance, its as good a fit for me as any other major carrier..

Delta's erratic business decisions, sagging service and anti-customer policies also allows me to make humourous quips, like..

"Delta: No waivers, no favors"

"Delta Air Lines: Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

"Delta: The only thing hotter than our ex-customers is Cholula!"

"Delta: Turning away customers since 2003"

"ask about our $20.00 slice of in-flight cheesecake.. you could have bought it in ATL for $10!"

"Delta: We're like ASA, but have bigger planes, and are only slightly out of our minds.."

"Delta: You mean you don't NORMALLY pay more for less?"

""Enhancing" your travel experience - take this duct tape and get on the wing!"

"Delta Air Lines: Donít complain, You could be flying Aeroflot!"

heckler.....DL Forum Classic!!
Old Apr 26, 04, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Well, so far, I have having been making my upgrades sans two exceptions and there was pretty good reason for that but I am STILL WATCHING.

I live between CVG and IND and have to fly out of IND most of the time because or price but I know that on my return if I get to CVG and things go bad I can always take a trip to Avis to get home. My second choice is NW but the closest I can be to home is DTW which mostly rules out a rental.

B/E cabin to some of my more frequent destinations, SEA, PDX, and LAX. I get to SLC a lot and the hub operations help me there. General domestic widebodies are a plus for me.

The CRJs that I have to fly are on generally short flights and Comair has no turboprops, something I am not scared of but it certainly has a slight safety issue.

Believe it or not, the relative ease that I have had in redeeming miles for award travel. I am certainly not a person that has redeemed a lot but I am sure I will get to be an old pro at that sometime.

I think Delta technology is some of the best in the business and I think they keep trying to add new features. If anyone from Delta, what I want is to keep the logged in status from timing out and automatic flight notifications from saved iteneraries.

I wasn't sure the MQMs would work for me but so far they have.

I know them like the back of my hand both from what I have personally gained from experience and from what I have learned from others here. FT has helped me a lot be a more informed traveller which means that I mostly know what buttons I can push with Delta and when. When irregular operations come up, I know I can get what I want...and the *VIP airphone service is a great service to me, even if it is not used very often. I generally get exceptional service from front line employees and 90% of the phone agents no matter where they are from, though I don't think I have reached India much.

Now, since you asked, things that trouble me.

I want K+ fares upgraded at the time of booking. EVEN if the availabilty is more limited. Afterall, at that time, I can always pick another flight. Then at the 100 hour mark, it would be nice if they cleared there. I don't like the pressure of waiting out the upgrades. This DOES cause me stress and I don't like stress. Yes, I know I am spoiled.

Specifically for me, I need a late night flight restored from CVG-IND. Post 9-11, it is nearly impossible from me to get home on the same day of my last day of work and have to spend an extra night and fly home the next morning.

All of the IFE doesn't work a lot and the staff NEVER knows anything about how to correct it. It never fails that the music that I want to listen to is the one (or two or three) channels that don't work. The B/E stuff has quite the wear and tear on it.

Maybe I will think a little more about what I want improved. I know there are international issues that I don't like (no sameday upgrades, it's just stupid) but so far, I haven't ventured there.
Old Apr 26, 04, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by Cholula
I fly DL mostly out of habit as they were my primary airline for over 20 years. The planes are familiar as are many of the GA's and FA's and I do like being able to upgrade if and when I can find mainline metal flying to my destination.
But DL broke my spirit over the last couple years and I now find myself flying other airlines on a regular basis. That would never have entered my mind until the RJ explosion along with the cutbacks to the Medallion program.
4MM constitutes a habit?
Old Apr 26, 04, 10:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Two years ago, I was given a GM comp from my AA PLT as I was considering shifting my flying to DL. Then of course the infamous implementatoin of 0.5 MQMs on insULT fares made be run back to AA.

I was really glad I stuck with AA for another reason: award availability and redemption requirements, especiall after the increases made this past March. I like to redeem business class tickets to Asia on top-tier airlines (and no KL is not one of them, sorry).

AA requires only 110,000 miles for a business class ticket on Cathay Pacific and it's fairly easy to redeem awards on CX. In fact, I had no problems finding availability for JFK-HKG for Chinese New Year 2005.

DL requires 120,000 miles for a business class ticket on Singapore Airlines. And we all know it's all but impossible to find availability on SQ.

And DL is also inferior in the area of general award availability. Here's an example: I just checked for award availability for 2 coach seats on Memorial Day weekend, LAX-JFK, leaving Friday May 28, returning Monday May 31.

AA showed availability for two seats on 10 nonstops on the outbound, and 8 nonstops on the return.

DL showed only one seat available and on only on one flight (with nothing coming up with a connection. Not one seat available from LGA or EWR either.

Quite telling, isn't it?
Old Apr 26, 04, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; SPG Lifetime Gold
To burn the $1200 DL vouchers I got last Thanksgiving on my first for ever time on DL. I am so glad I will be done with it after July 11 this summer. May be I should thank DL in some way since these $$ will help me achieve NW Gold without taking too much out of my own pocket.

BUT, I am always bad luck with DL--rude phone agents, rude check-in agents at BWI and HNL, ignorant gate agents at BWI and SFO, aggressive flight attendants for ATL-HNL flights, ignorant check-in agents at SFO, middle and back seat, denied priority checking-in at BWI, denied priority boarding-in at BWI and SFO (i didn't fight back at BWI, but I did in SFO this March by presenting a printed-out rules to the ignorant agent who became red later), ignored request for another glass of water during ATL-HNL flight...... I had enough!
Old Apr 26, 04, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL GM, CRC, HHS
I was a TWA FF until they went belly up,,IMHO AA has just screwed up that acquisition. I then went to US and was reasonably satisfied with them BUT they didn't fly where I needed to go. Thus, DL and I must say I have been very pleased with the FA's, the staff at SMS, and everyone else in general. I like the CRC's and the staff, I have had great service from the SMS, the GA's and the FA's BUT like every other airline AND most US businesses they are strapped for manpower.

DL has been able to meet almost all of my requests without a problem, and NO I don't like the 764's to HNL anymore than others, they suck!! In fact, I know that the FA's wonder why the 777's were not used on that route. And yes, it p's me off that they got rid of F and don't offer B/E on those flights BUT the CRC at HNL is probably the best there is!

It's give and take...
Old Apr 26, 04, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
4MM constitutes a habit?
A serious, pathological habit!
Old Apr 26, 04, 10:48 pm

Well...

...I started flying Delta because a friend of mine has a bazillion Skymiles with them. Whenever I needed a ticket somewhere, he'd just use his miles to get it for me.

And I originally thought that the fact that I lived in a hub city would be to my benefit.

But now things are starting to change.

First off, I soon discovered that living in a hub city can be a DISADVANTAGE. Fares are more expensive than they would be if booked from a different city that routes through the hub. (A BOI-SLC-ATL-LGW is cheaper than just a plain SLC-ATL-LGW, for example.)

I was excited because there are a lot of non-stop flights from SLC on Delta, but now that I'm getting into milage runs, direct flights are a disadvantage.

Then I flew on United for my first time yesterday. The seats were more comfortable, the atmosphere more laidback, my IAD-DEN segment had personal screens for everybody in coach, not to mention you could listen to all the pilot-tower chatter on Channel 9 (which I was fascinated by...listened for most of the trip!)

I have a lot of friends and neighbors who work for Delta at the airport here, in reserverations, in baggage, in mechanical. I guess sometimes I fly with them to give them that extra 0.000001% of job security my business gives.

But after experiencing United, I'm not sure my loyalties are staying now...
Old Apr 26, 04, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by prof1950
I was a TWA FF until they went belly up,,IMHO AA has just screwed up that acquisition. I then went to US and was reasonably satisfied with them BUT they didn't fly where I needed to go. Thus, DL and I must say I have been very pleased with the FA's, the staff at SMS, and everyone else in general. I like the CRC's and the staff, I have had great service from the SMS, the GA's and the FA's BUT like every other airline AND most US businesses they are strapped for manpower.

DL has been able to meet almost all of my requests without a problem, and NO I don't like the 764's to HNL anymore than others, they suck!! In fact, I know that the FA's wonder why the 777's were not used on that route. And yes, it p's me off that they got rid of F and don't offer B/E on those flights BUT the CRC at HNL is probably the best there is!

It's give and take...
prof1950...if someone hasn't already done the honors, let me welcome you to the Delta Forum!! Hope to see you around here posting often in the future.
Old Apr 26, 04, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
I fly DL for 2 reasons:

1. They are the only airline flying out of MLB.

2. Old habits die hard. I've flown DL almost exclusively for the past 8 years. In 1996, I moved from WI to FL and was heartbroken when I had to switch from United to Delta. I soon came to love DL much more than United. But the past couple of years on DL has not been great for me, and I probably will switch to someone else again. I do think all airlines are basically the same, they all have their good and bad points. I just have to try to find the airline that has more good than bad points for me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: