Is there a low-miles seat on every DL flight?

Old Apr 20, 04, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
Is there a low-miles seat on every DL flight?

I read this morning in the WSJ that AA has some flights which lack any low-miles seats. Has anyone heard of this being the case with DL?
Old Apr 20, 04, 11:25 am

What in the world is a low-miles seat??????

DeltaPurser
Old Apr 20, 04, 11:45 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Arrow SkySaver vs. SkyChoice

Low miles = SkySaver

I think the answer is no. One, the DL SkyMiles conditions/rules/whatever say that some flights may have no award seats allocated and two, I have sat on a waitlist for 331 days and never did clear - that was at the beginning of my switch to AA.
Old Apr 20, 04, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by drcarl
I read this morning in the WSJ that AA has some flights which lack any low-miles seats. Has anyone heard of this being the case with DL?
Hi drcarl. Welcome to FT! I assume by low-miles seat you mean what DL calls a SkySaver award ticket. These are the award tickets that require the lowest amount of miles and vary by destination, seating class, etc. I don't know that anyone outside of DL could honestly answer whether DL has SkySaver award tickets on EVERY flight. I would assume that some flights are so popular....Hawaii for example....that many times DL offers no SkySaver at certain times of the year. But that's a guess on my part.

Last edited by Cholula; Apr 20, 04 at 11:56 am Reason: Edited to note that Spiff answered this while I was posting and essentially said the same thing.
Old Apr 20, 04, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN A List
I am a little concerned about the characterization of SkySaver as some kind of "low cost" or budget or cut-rate award or whatever. These are the NORMAL award levels upon which the entire system of FF programs was founded. To the degree consumers allow these to become a plain McDonald burger, and we instead regard SkyChoice Quarter-Pounders as "normal," then we simply allow the value of our banked miles to decrease by fifty percent.
Old Apr 20, 04, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Justin026
I am a little concerned about the characterization of SkySaver as some kind of "low cost" or budget or cut-rate award or whatever. These are the NORMAL award levels upon which the entire system of FF programs was founded. To the degree consumers allow these to become a plain McDonald burger, and we instead regard SkyChoice Quarter-Pounders as "normal," then we simply allow the value of our banked miles to decrease by fifty percent.
You make a good point but the fact of the matter is that all I've been able to get in the last couple years are SkyChoice awards. Perhaps that's because most of my award trips are to Hawaii and on that route, unless you plan a year in advance, FC SkySaver tickets are nearly impossible to score. And I need two on every flight so that makes it even harder.
My business schedule makes it nearly impossible to lock in a vacation 12 months out so I grudgingly look at SkyChoice as the norm nowadays.
The way I justify this is that, as a PM, I get 100% bonus miles on every flight so easy come, easy go....

Last edited by Cholula; Apr 21, 04 at 10:01 pm
Old Apr 21, 04, 8:20 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
I am led to believe "yes" but there could be just one.

Based on some observations a few years ago, I believe that there are everyday deepest discount seats (U class) on each and every flight. I have actually gotten one on Sunday after Thanksgiving once.

But for popular dates the seat (or seats) go fast, sometimes the afternoon of the 332'nd day in advance if the seat IPO (initial public offering!) (on the web) happens then, so for all intents and purposes those dates and flights are unavailable.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

Things may have changed since I ran the tests in late 2002.

As far as I know, when Delta joins or starts a fare war with T class seats, those dates with no remaining U class seats do not have any T class.
Old Apr 21, 04, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Arrow Proof by Contradiction

I called 331 days out for a Y seat to HNL. I was the first to call, as no seats had been opened up. I was placed on a priority wait list (sounds so catchy!) as a PM. Therefore, if an N-class seat ever opened up for 30,000 miles, it was going to me. I sat on the waitlist and didn't clear the day of departure.

Conclusion: There exists (or existed, more precisely) at least one flight where no SkySaver inventory was allocated for an N (coach) award.
Old Apr 21, 04, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Silver/MM, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Don't trust the waitlist for award seats. I was actually able to secure 2 SkySaver FC tix to Hawaii last year, but when I booked them, there was no FC for the return. There was coach so I booked that and was put on the waitlist for FC. A few weeks before departure I began checking online daily to see if the return had cleared in FC and also looking at the seat availablity for awards. One day I saw that there were 2 FC SkySaver award seats on my return flight, but I was still shown as on the waitlist. I called DL immediately and got the 2 seats. The agent was surprised that it didn't clear automatically.
Old Apr 21, 04, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Justin026
Unfortunately, SkyMiles have been given out so freely that they have lost much of their value.

In the past six months, I have gotten 28,476 SkyMiles. This may not sound like a lot but keep in mind that I have not taken a single paid flight on a SkyTeam partner during that period. I have gotten them from getting a Delta Gold Amex (15,000 miles) and using that Amex whenever I had to pay something in dollars (my upcoming trip to Italy and the States, my son's flight to the Orient, various goodies I have bought in the States on the internet).

If I lived in the US, and used the Amex regularly, I am certain that I would have reached at least 50,000 SkyMiles.

All of this would be fine and wonderful if Delta made seats available for all the SkyMiles it issues. (After all, they are not free tickets. SkyMiles are paid for by issuing partners or by being part of the price built into the cost of paid tickets.)

Delta -- and I believe that all other airlines are the same -- ignore these facts and consider the seats given for miles to be "freebies". As long as they do that, they will only give SkySaver awards when they are very close to positive that they are not going to sell that seat.
Old Apr 21, 04, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148
Don't trust the waitlist for award seats. I was actually able to secure 2 SkySaver FC tix to Hawaii last year, but when I booked them, there was no FC for the return. There was coach so I booked that and was put on the waitlist for FC. A few weeks before departure I began checking online daily to see if the return had cleared in FC and also looking at the seat availablity for awards. One day I saw that there were 2 FC SkySaver award seats on my return flight, but I was still shown as on the waitlist. I called DL immediately and got the 2 seats. The agent was surprised that it didn't clear automatically.
Where did you look to find the FC SkySaver award seats?
I booked 331 days out for a trip in May and I still haven't cleared on one leg.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: