Opting Out of Diamond Status

Old Dec 18, 09, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta,Virgin America, United
Opting Out of Diamond Status

Does anyone know if you can opt out of Delta's Diamond Status and roll over the difference in miles from Platinum to Diamond?

I just don't see any real additional benefits to Diamond from Platinum and would rather just stay at Platinum and roll over the miles for next year's Platinum qualification.

As a Platinum Elite, I rarely get upgraded even with B and M fares and typically have to rebook in A fare to get a seat. It doesn't seem Diamond guarantees upgrades any more than Platinum.
Old Jun 6, 10, 8:30 am

Nope! If you have 125,000 or more MQM's you will be diamond.

Where do you normally fly?

However a Diamond on a T fare will be upgraded before a platinum on a B fare.

lastly, Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Jun 11, 10, 5:14 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Welcome FT!

Originally Posted by Will Grace View Post
As a Platinum Elite, I rarely get upgraded even with B and M fares and typically have to rebook in A fare to get a seat.
What routes do you normally fly?
Old Jun 12, 10, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Really the only way is to stop flying, fly another airline, or credit to AS or another program.

There was a similar thread on this last year, that the DM benefits was so marginal over Plat, that many would rather have PM + 49K rollover than DM, so a contingent of folks tried not to reach 125K.
Old Jun 12, 10, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM
BUT
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Really the only way is to stop flying, fly another airline, or credit to AS or another program.

There was a similar thread on this last year, that the DM benefits was so marginal over Plat, that many would rather have PM + 49K rollover than DM, so a contingent of folks tried not to reach 125K.
I'm one of those people....personally, Diamond does nothing for me. The PMUs are worthless (let's not get into that debate - for me they're worthless) and living in NYC I don't need the Diamond status since upgrades as a PM are practically guaranteed.

BUT, I started this year with about 48K in MQM rollover and am now close to Diamond again....too much work to avoid it, I may end up crossing over.
Old Jun 12, 10, 10:52 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by channa View Post

It's true that with SM it's difficult to control one's level of Medallion status as easily as with OALs.

Thankfully I was successful in avoiding DM last year. But the rollover means that even though I've absolutely minimized my DL flying, I'm still going to be PM this year and next. It's not so bad now because no discretionary or high-value travel has gone to DL since the merger and I don't care if I fly DL when I have no choice anyway. That's always on rock-bottom fares.

Actually electing to fly DL or giving them more $$ for higher-value tix and then having to deal with their multifarious best in class BS would be absolutely grating.
Old Jun 12, 10, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Will Grace View Post
As a Platinum Elite, I rarely get upgraded even with B and M fares and typically have to rebook in A fare to get a seat.
I am PM now, but haven't flown since the flight which got me to that level.

Last year, I had only one itinerary in which I could have been upgraded (the others were when I had no status and/or was flying Biz Elite/FC). On that one itinerary I was a GM flying on a LUT fare and was upgraded for 3 out of 5 segments.

Why is your experience so much worse than mine?
Old Jun 12, 10, 7:28 pm

Programs: One Star 'n Sky
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
Why is your experience so much worse than mine?
Perhaps it's because as a resident of the Holy Land you have a guardian angel assigned to watch over you and your affairs.

On the other hand, it could be that the flight attendants working in the Economy cabin have petitioned Delta Airlines to keep you out of their working areas. They have a lot of customers to take care of, and can not afford the pleasure of having a flirtatious DOM on board.

Thus, soon as the word gets around that you, yet again, have picked Delta Airlines to be your international carrier of choice -- the red flags, bells and whistles go up and an Urgent Memo gets dispatched to all reservation agents, with instructions to issue your upgrades immediately.

The flight attendants in the Business cabin must be more experienced...
Old Jun 18, 10, 1:30 am

Unhappy Me too.

I haven't had one Diamond benefit that I can use. I'm flying from Mumbai India to the US via AMS today--I called Delta to ask if I could be put on a standby list for an earlier flight out of Amsterdam. They said no--they don't do this for international flights. I've flown domestically 2 times in the last 2 years so the Same Day benefits that Delta touts are no good to me. Do you know anyone who wants some upgrade certs that I also can't use??!!
Old Jun 21, 10, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by rblum View Post
Do you know anyone who wants some upgrade certs that I also can't use??!!
I'll take them!

Search this Thread