Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does DL always take FOREVER to refund tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does DL always take FOREVER to refund tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs down Does DL always take FOREVER to refund tickets?

Being unfamiliar with DL's practices, I'm wondering about their ticket refund policy.

I bought a ticket to EZE (refundable Business Class fare) which I never flew.

I called to refund on the scheduled day of departure. It's been a week already, so I called the refunds desk and was told it takes 10 days to process!

Any other carrier with which I've refunded a ticket has done it instantly and a credit appears on my statement within 2-3 days.

Is this common? And if so, does anybody find it annoying as h*ll?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Well you have nicer credit cards then I do..

I have generally gotten the credit pretty quick, but I did have an MBNA Visa that used to take 25 days.... AND ALL OF IT WAS with MBNA.

So the fault is not always the airline. Credit card companies like to "hold" the float!
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
I've done cancellation on line and they have credited back to my Amex within 48 hours.

I canceled a NW itinerary back in August. It was not possible to do it on NWA.com, so I handled it over the phone. The NW CSR tells me that a credit will be made within 7-10 days.

After 10 days no credit and I'm a little concerned since it's $3800.

So I call again. The NW CSR says that the refund was not processes but does see that the first CSR noted the record and gets a supervisor to approve a refund. The refund appears on my Amex account withing 2 days.

Bottom line, call and talk to someone.

MO
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
I get mine back in 2-3 days. I always cancel by talking to someone and it posts back to my card quickly.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
international flights do take longer to refund - i understand there are six or seven staff working all the requests (I have been on the phone with the same lady twice!)

if, within two weeks, you have not gotten your refund, do give Refunds a call - via the SMS desk. After an extensive hold (15-20 minutes), you will be greeted with the refunds desk. Explain, politely, that it has been two weeks and you would like to see the refund.

On both occasions, I have had the refund processed on the spot (hence the prolonged hold time)

You just have to wait it out

for the record, united took almost a month to refund me a trip cancelled within the 24-hour timeframe...

also - make sure you get a full refund. I had an instance where some of the int'l taxes did not get refunded due to a system glitch. No biggie, I just called and it was fixed on the spot as well.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
I have had refunds for international tickets, some of them partial refunds, take 45-60 days. I just assumed it was intentional on Delta's part, an element of a working capital improvement program.

Twice I had to challenge the charge through the credit card, since they wanted payment for the original charge, and the refund was not credited yet.

You guys are having much better luck than me with these refunds.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:43 pm

I too have had a very hard time with the refunds department...

I'm not surprised...if Delta lets delta.com be the mess that it is (and it GENERATES revenue) than we can only imagine how bad things are at the refunds desk which technically reduces revenue!

My understanding having talked to them is that you have to submit the request. They write up a PAPER report and leave it in a mailbox or in a pile somewhere for the handful of auditors to look at, and then the auditors enter their decision into the computer....
Old Sep 23, 2009, 5:21 am

cancellation within 24 hours of purchase

Originally Posted by MachOne
I've done cancellation on line and they have credited back to my Amex within 48 hours.

MO
If you do the 24 hour no-penalty cancellation online, what sort of documentation should you keep? Each screen during the cancellation process?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
I've only canceled using the 24-hour rule once and I remember it took longer than I thought it should to get the refund to my AMEX.

After a few days of waiting I called Delta who assured me the refund had gone through, so I called AMEX. They had no evidence of the credit coming through to my card, this had me rather worried as the credit seemed to be in limbo between DL and AMEX. I called DL again and they just told me more of the same, so I really have no idea who was the holdup DL or AMEX, but the refund did eventually come through after about 10 days.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:48 am

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by LibFlyer
If you do the 24 hour no-penalty cancellation online, what sort of documentation should you keep? Each screen during the cancellation process?
The cancellation confirmation screen has a 006 number different from the original e-ticket number. I have saved that number (I forward the canceled etkt receipt) just with the confirmation number - so i have both handy in case of issues

never had to refer to the number though - the original etkt should be sufficient...
Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Being unfamiliar with DL's practices, I'm wondering about their ticket refund policy.

I bought a ticket to EZE (refundable Business Class fare) which I never flew.

I called to refund on the scheduled day of departure. It's been a week already, so I called the refunds desk and was told it takes 10 days to process!

Any other carrier with which I've refunded a ticket has done it instantly and a credit appears on my statement within 2-3 days.

Is this common? And if so, does anybody find it annoying as h*ll?
Irony here is that I've been waiting for 13 days now for a refund from United on a ticket I used the 24-hour rule to cancel.

As of this post the credit still hasnt hit my CC (which is a USAA card and normally processes refunds extremely quickly)
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UNITED959
....I called to refund on the scheduled day of departure. It's been a week already, so I called the refunds desk and was told it takes 10 days to process! ....
Wow! You are impatient. I refunded a BA C fare ticket and it took about three months to show up on my credit card. I would have been delighted with 10 days.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:45 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Patience is the key here. Recently it took almost 7 weeks for a fully refundable American Airlines flight I'd cancelled to be refunded.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of mine were refunded in 4 days of less. One ticket took over 2 months and at least 10 telephone calls in order to get credited but I was successful in disputing the charge very early on the cc so I didnt lose any interest.

MisterNice
Old Sep 23, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, ICH Plat
Mine has always been refunded within the week. Cancelled/Refunded through AMEX travel though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.