Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

is DL @ JFK just getting worse every day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is DL @ JFK just getting worse every day?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 5:19 am

Programs: DL DM MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
not an excuse for any if this!

Let me continue: JFK-BOS: 2 on-board upgrades by Delta FAs ... FA: where did they put you? pax: 15E ... FA: no, you ar ein 1D
right after boarding ends ... FA: I hate F to go empty , let me move 10D to the front ....

honestly, this is horrible.
Not to defend JFK, but the onboard upgrades are probably a weight and balance issue- I have seen that quite often since you are on the RJ for the most part on that segment (I am a frequently on the dreaded 10:10pm JFK BOS flight, which is quite frequently 35th in line for take off at that hour behind a string of heavies.) I have even seen them move everyone to first class on empty shuttle flights for W&B.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Tom Williams

I cannot understand why Delta thinks this NY hub is so important. Or is it simply a matter of their inability to get slots at Newark? And then they add insult to injury by staffing the place with rude and indifferent people. I agree that Atlanta is a breath of fresh air after a visit to JFK.

Delta's JFK hub drives my international business elsewhere.
I came through JFK last month and there was trash ALL over the floor as we exited the plane in the terminal entrance. I asked one of the JFK employees if he could call someone to clean that up.

His response: "It's not my job."
Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
The only way to make a JFK visit more miserable is to fly from there to Mumbai. It is such a special experience to visit the two WORST airports in the world in a single flight.

I cannot understand why Delta thinks this NY hub is so important. Or is it simply a matter of their inability to get slots at Newark? And then they add insult to injury by staffing the place with rude and indifferent people. I agree that Atlanta is a breath of fresh air after a visit to JFK.

Delta's JFK hub drives my international business elsewhere.
JFK is going back to focus city status...LGA is about to be the NYC Hub for DL
Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GuyverII
I came through JFK last month and there was trash ALL over the floor as we exited the plane in the terminal entrance. I asked one of the JFK employees if he could call someone to clean that up.

His response: "It's not my job."
why was the staff all over the floor? (thanks folks..dont miss my 2nd show in 30 minutes)
Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Originally Posted by WidgetHead
4) I had an obnoxious non-rev employee attempt to scold me for taking pictures during take-off and landing as we were deplaning. The FA's had no problem with this and were nice as can be.
Which (the last part, that is) actually is a little bit strange, given that your camera is most probably an electronic device.
Of course, perhaps you just got lucky and came across a few reasonable FAs...
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
I burned the last of my miles a couple of weeks ago and made an effort to see if I should switch from *A to DL because I'm based in NY.
That trip made my decision easy:
CO allows HI bound BIZ/First pax to use the lounge. In HNL the agent pointed out that although my ticketed cabin was First, it's a members lounge, not a First class lounge. I'm just pointing out a difference, not saying she should have let me in with a smile.....
FA's HNL-SLC in First were less than kind at the beginning of the flight, even though it was a red-eye flight and they would probably have a good few hours of quiet.
On a Saturday afternoon, my SLC-JFK flight used the people movers. I thought those were only in IAD and other airports outside the US.
Getting through the terminal to baggage claim was the same nightmare it was before DL moved in and "renovated" the place.
Using DL to get out of JFK is not that horrid, but I think returning there is the bigger nightmare.
I'm sticking with *A for international and will probably move my AA domestic to CO to consolidate points.
My sympathies to the DL's.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
Originally Posted by StefanNYC
Which (the last part, that is) actually is a little bit strange, given that your camera is most probably an electronic device.
Of course, perhaps you just got lucky and came across a few reasonable FAs...

I agree with the non-rev who called you out if it was a phone. I see these morons all the time acting like 2 year olds hiding their backberry's when the FA comes around to pull it out and tap tap tap away as we are taking off. I don't know what the possible issues are but the rules are there for a reason. I don't want my life risked because some idiot isn't efficient enough to get their work done during their normal business hours.

From FAA website:

Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules prohibit the use of cellular phones using the 800 MHz frequency and other wireless devices on airborne aircraft. This ban was put in place because of potential interference to wireless networks on the ground.

In March 2007, the FCC terminated a proceeding that it began in late 2004 to consider potentially lifting this ban. The FCC determined that the technical information provided by interested parties in response to the proposal was insufficient to determine whether in-flight use of wireless devices on aircraft could cause harmful interference to wireless networks on the ground. Therefore, it decided at this time to make no changes in the rules prohibiting in-flight use of such devices.

In addition to the FCC’s rules, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) prohibits in-flight use of wireless devices because of potential interference to the aircraft’s navigation and communication systems. For this same reason the FAA also regulates the use of all portable electronic devices (PEDs), such as iPods and portable DVD players, during flight.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:03 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by avflyer
I love the JFK Sucks threads. FWIW, JFK can be awful or it can work just fine IF YOU LEAVE ENOUGH TIME. If NYC is your home port and DL is your home in the sky, here are some points that might make it better for you.

Avoid checking into T3 and work with T2 whenever possible.

Car Drop Off - T2 is covered and if you are traveling domestic with luggage, there is curb side check in. Either way, I have never seen domestic or BE check-in to be a zoo. As for security, if there has been a long line (20+ people), I have in the past gotten a DL agent to open a priority line - I just ask nicely.

If you are using the Tram or self-parking in the lots across the street - and the weather isn't awful, Tram users take the lift to the lowest level and proceed to to the right (facing the terminal) toward T2 and then cross the road at the middle of T2 (wait for the light;-). As you enter T2 on the lower level, elevators to the departure level are to the left. There are ramps that make rolling baggage or carts easy.

In horrible weather, use the front of T3 if parking or taking the Tram. Once you have your boarding pass, should the security line be long, ask a DL agent for help to the front (assuming you have status and/or are flying up front). It has worked in the past for me.

Navigating T2 to T3 is not that bad - about a 15 minute walk from the farthest sides. Navigating to T4 - I have done this from both T2 and T3. Leave yourself time if you are flying out of T4 as the buses run every 15 min. or so and the ride with exit to the terminal is about 10 min. The run to T4 can chew through 30 min. Do not wait in a SC until 10 min prior to boarding if you like to be among the first on the plane.

I suppose that things in JFK will get more difficult before they get better simply because DL occupies the oldest terminals and at the same has increased capacity out of JFK (for NY DL flyers, I love the expansion as I no longer need to fly TATL home via ATL or CVG while looking out the window over NY, knowing I would have to back track later on that day.

As for Priority bag tags, they aren't supposed to work on domestic travel. On TATL travel, they work most every time, unless my bags are going through CDG;-)

Parking at JFK (Delta) is a disaster. When flying to LHR I always park at T4, because that is where we leave from. When we RETURN it is always a crapshoot if you land at T4 or T3. Landing at T3 creates a solid 10-15 minutes walk to the T4 parking lot
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Parking at JFK (Delta) is a disaster. When flying to LHR I always park at T4, because that is where we leave from. When we RETURN it is always a crapshoot if you land at T4 or T3. Landing at T3 creates a solid 10-15 minutes walk to the T4 parking lot
I agree with you that by splitting some departures to T4 with the possibility of returning to a T2 or T3 gate, parking at JFK is more of a crap-shoot. For TATL travel, I generally take a driver because a) I am usually away for a week making the parking vs. driver a near wash and b) if in BE and arriving in T3, you can have your driver meet you in the lower level right as you exit customs - a huge benefit to rolling your stuff out of the dungeon.

In the good old days, T3 was a great terminal to depart from because it was the only one at JFK with roof top parking.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
More and more bus rides at JFK to get deplaned off DL-NW flights means usually waiting for all passengers to deplane before being able to make it to the terminal building to get on your way. [Passengers are at the mercy of the slower/slowest passengers in terms of how long it will take to actually get into the terminal building.]

If you are connecting at JFK and it happens to be one of the DL flights operated by AF onto which you are connecting landside, then beware that the boarding pass(es) issued at the originating airport may not be accepted by even the non-TSA security line dragons and you'll have to re-check-in with AF at JFK to get the new boarding pass(es) since they seem to believe that boarding passes issued by the likes of even DL-NW are not applicable to get airside.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 23, 2009 at 11:55 am
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Just completed a TATL journey via JFK on Delta. I am pretty skilled at getting though terminals, but the walk from the AirTrain into the terminal messed me up pretty good, walking along a dangerous roadway with a group of other confused people.

SkyClub closed prior to scheduled departure of the flight.

My bag marked for Zurich went to Bogota, rejoining me a week later in Athens.

I returned on a KLM codeshare, so did I bypass the Delta facilities on return? It did go smoothly!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by whit5721
Every time I pass through it is worse.
Does it seem like the reliance DL has on using buses at JFK is getting worse?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I'd just like to point out that this thread is a prime example of Delta needing a real Lurker on FlyerTalk. Even if it's to say our comments are being heard and passed on to Delta's NYC "guru" Gail Grimmett.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by whit5721
JFK is a joke. Easily the worst airport in the US (LAX is a distant second, imho). Every time I pass through it is worse.
I would argue while JFK has it's short comings, the airport as a whole is not awful. Really, T2 and T3 are downright awful. Every other terminal at the airport has been rebuilt in the last ten years with the exception of T6 and T7. T6 isn't currently used and T7 has had a major refurbishment done.

To the folks defending DL, DL has put no real money into the facilities at JFK. The fact they are agressivley using hard stands is pathetic. The first thing people see when they come to this country is a hard stand to be bussed to a dump? Sure everyone uses hard stands in other countries, but DL seems to abuse it at JFK.

I'm personally of the opinion that DL should a) be forced to reduce it's operations at JFK and b) not be allowed to grow said operations until they have proper facilities. They are one of the key contributors over the last few years to JFKs increased congrestion.

Originally Posted by socrates
EWR- Terminal A reminds me of JFK...terminal B while looking 50 years old is 49 years ahead of JFK...terminal C is 100 years ahead of JFK (not to mention the new and improved PC's CO has in C...they are also 100 years ahead of the SC's in JFK, as was the WC...I walked into the CRC once and immediately headed across the hall to the WC)
Even Terminal A has come a long way. The piers are definitely ancient but the core terminal has been cleaned up and is looking much nicer.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Since the usfg is on a spending kick why not throw a couple billion into jfk to turn it into something useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.