Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

More dilution of benefits to Platinum Medallions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More dilution of benefits to Platinum Medallions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The DL systemwide upgrades earned (for the 75k-c. 124k MQM activity credited this year) will expire at the end of February 2011. They will be good for all of 2010 as long as you get them on or before any DL flight activity you have in 2010.

Primarily due to the customer-unfriendly fare restrictions on them, DL's systemwide upgrades mostly expire worthless. Other reasons they go unused are a distant cause compared to the fare restrictions.
Thank you. If that is the case, then I would imagine that when Spring comes I will not be given the choice of the SWUs or the other goodies in the package. Those will only be offered to people who earn Platinum with their 2010 flying. Is that right?
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dovster
Thank you. If that is the case, then I would imagine that when Spring comes I will not be given the choice of the SWUs or the other goodies in the package. Those will only be offered to people who earn Platinum with their 2010 flying. Is that right?
Of that I am not certain. DL management has worded things in such a way that it is possible -- but not guaranteed -- that those who qualify/requalify for Platinum status via MQM activity in 2009 will also get to choose one of the following "choice benefits" for use at some point in 2010 (even if not earning Platinum-level MQMs in 2010):

* four new systemwide upgrades; or
* 20,000 bonus miles; or
* gifting Silver Medallion Status; or
* four Delta Sky Club one-day passes; or
* travel/retail gift card (of so far undeclared value).

The current DL language is such that it cannot be ruled out that you may end up having up to 10 systemwide upgrades for use in 2010, presuming you would want the 4 DL systemwide upgrades as your 2010 "choice benefit".
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by avidflyer
If more people just let posters say their piece these threads would not spin out of control. Contrary to popular belief; it is NOT the fact that people air their grievances here (and at Festivus) but the constant commentary on the validity of their issues that turn these threads hostile.
+10^
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
The devaluation of Platinum is appropriate IMO.

Platinun on Delta is the equivelent of second tier on the other airlines, with Diamond being the new highest level.

It is just too easy to reach the 75K Platinum level on Delta compared to the 100K required on all the other majors especially with all the MQM offers and AMEX bonuses. As an example, I find 125K MQMs on Delta is easier to earn than 100K EQPs on AA.

There were just too many of the highest tiers on Delta, as it was too easy to achieve. Something had to be done to differentiate a new highest tier.

The Delta platinum benefits should be compared with platinum on AA (not EXP), 2K (or what ever it is) on UA, Gold on CO......

The new Platinum is the old Gold. Just a product of Skymiles MQM inflation.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by GTITAN
That would be a capital idea I fully agree; however, if DL does not want PMUs really to operate as particularly meaningful benefit for the bulk of its top tier elite (given its analysis that the cost of "giving away" BE seats at deep discount rates is too "revenue negative"), I would be hard pressed to imagine that it would then turn around and permit PMUs to procure BE seats (from DL's point of view) for "free" (even taking into consideration that the reduction of miles off the "balance sheet" must have some positive impact on the "bottom line"). Of course, YMMV.

Safe Travels.
Seems doubtful to me also, but I sure would be delighted to have such an option.

Everything Delta has done in the last year has been geared to reduce the value obtained per Skymile and to one by one close the good value opportunities. They also do not appear to want to give their elite members a break on this (at least I haven't seen any increased availability as a Platinum). Instead the approach is to heap bonus miles on us so that we can get up to, as an example, 370k miles almost as fast as we can get up to 120k miles (that's a conservative estimate of the average difference between a Transpacific business any day award ticket with most any other airline and with delta right now). I like the old system a whole lot better.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
The devaluation of Platinum is appropriate IMO.

Platinun on Delta is the equivelent of second tier on the other airlines, with Diamond being the new highest level.
As an experienced AA flyer, one really ought to know better than that. I'm 24 for 28 on DL/W upgrades this year as a Gold. This volume of flying would have yielded just twelve 500-mile 'stickers' on AA as a Plat (AA's mid tier) to upgrade for free on perhaps four of those 28 flights.

It seems the OP is ignoring the rollover feature and choice benefits for platinums, in which case the central insight is that four is less than six (SWUs in this case). To me, the real argument is that DL never should have watered down its 100K mile top tier to match CO + NW 75K Plat-lites in SkyTeam in the first place.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM
I use the certs on tough-to-upgrade routes domestically. I have no problem with DL limiting their usage domestically and internationally on fare type. That $600 RT fare to Heathrow isn't paying our share of the fuel....why should we be upgraded? For-profit company after all.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I use the certs on tough-to-upgrade routes domestically. I have no problem with DL limiting their usage domestically and internationally on fare type. That $600 RT fare to Heathrow isn't paying our share of the fuel....why should we be upgraded? For-profit company after all.
How do you know that a $600 RT fare from the US to Heathrow wouldn't pay your share of the fuel and/or go toward the profit of the DL flight?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
As an experienced AA flyer, one really ought to know better than that. I'm 24 for 28 on DL/W upgrades this year as a Gold. This volume of flying would have yielded just twelve 500-mile 'stickers' on AA as a Plat (AA's mid tier) to upgrade for free on perhaps four of those 28 flights.

It seems the OP is ignoring the rollover feature and choice benefits for platinums, in which case the central insight is that four is less than six (SWUs in this case). To me, the real argument is that DL never should have watered down its 100K mile top tier to match CO + NW 75K Plat-lites in SkyTeam in the first place.
I'm not saying that PM is worthless, only that the proper comparison now between programs is (in this case) AA's Platinum to DL's Platinum and AA's EXP to DL's Diamond. This is based on ease of achievement, not benefits rendered. Earning 50K EQM/EQP on AA is about the same as 75K MQMs on DL IMO. The same with 100K on AA for EXP verses 125K on DL for Diamond.

The value of benefits earned at each level will vary according to flying habits.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
But it does, and then some.

"For profit" is great theory.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:11 am

How do you know that a $600 RT fare from the US to Heathrow wouldn't pay your share of the fuel and/or go toward the profit of the DL flight?
Well, using the most-basic form of calculations (and I do know more goes into it than this), the consolidated CASM for the 6 months ended June 30 is $.1153. If that is multiplied by the 4211 mile journey length to LHR from ATL, the roundtrip costs, before taxes equal 971.06. I do understand spoilage as well (I work in radio and it revenue models work the same way with commercial air time - once its gone, it's never coming back). Even if I am off by 50%, when taxes are factored in, you are still not paying your costs of that journey. Why do you think you deserve to go Business Elite?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:16 am
Suspended

Well, using the most-basic form of calculations (and I do know more goes into it than this), the consolidated CASM for the 6 months ended June 30 is $.1153. If that is multiplied by the 4211 mile journey length to LHR from ATL, the roundtrip costs, before taxes equal 971.06. I do understand spoilage as well (I work in radio and it revenue models work the same way with commercial air time - once its gone, it's never coming back). Even if I am off by 50%, when taxes are factored in, you are still not paying your costs of that journey.
When even the more complicated forms of calculations used by DL management don't lead to sensible conclusions in the form of profits, there's no reason to believe that the more basic forms of calculations relying upon DL management's formulations is going to lead to sensible conclusions either.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:24 am

When even the more complicated forms of calculations used by DL management don't lead to sensible conclusions in the form of profits, there's no reason to believe that the more basic forms of calculations relying upon DL management's formulations is going to lead to sensible conclusions either.

HOWEVER, even if off by 50%, it still doesn't work out. Why should an unprofitable customer be given MORE than the basic services provided. DL sets the price for the basic services, and they are responsible for the fact those loss leader airfares exist. To expect to be upgraded on a loss is unrealistic. I flew DTW-PHX on Friday on a $139 fare. I was upgraded. I don't believe I deserved to be. No, DL's program isn't like AA's. I am glad there is differentiation of some type in the airline business. If another carrier's product works better for you, go there. This inane whining back-and-forth about the evils of DL is a waste of time. If (and ONLY IF) they would improve front-cabin services domestically, I would be in FULL support of no comp upgrades for under M as well. That won't happen, so I will take what get knowing it is a perk, and if I want to fly F confirmed, I have to pay for it.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:33 am
Suspended

HOWEVER, even if off by 50%, it still doesn't work out. Why should an unprofitable customer be given MORE than the basic services provided. DL sets the price for the basic services, and they are responsible for the fact those loss leader airfares exist. To expect to be upgraded on a loss is unrealistic. I flew DTW-PHX on Friday on a $139 fare. I was upgraded. I don't believe I deserved to be. No, DL's program isn't like AA's. I am glad there is differentiation of some type in the airline business. If another carrier's product works better for you, go there. This inane whining back-and-forth about the evils of DL is a waste of time. If (and ONLY IF) they would improve front-cabin services domestically, I would be in FULL support of no comp upgrades for under M as well. That won't happen, so I will take what get knowing it is a perk, and if I want to fly F confirmed, I have to pay for it.
Are you still sure that $600 RT would not cover your share of the fuel on a trip to LHR (presumably from somewhere near where DL-NW has one of their four larger hubs)? I remember that it was in your post where there was a claim/complaint that a $600 fare does not even cover your share of the fuel to LHR. I have my doubts about the math behind your post that was taking issue with a $600 RT fare to LHR.

A calculation that is relying upon +/- 50% margin of error is the kind of calculation best not relied upon.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 21, 2009 at 11:39 am
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:38 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by chp37
Did you notice that with the new award charts for Silver, Gold, Plat and Diamond that Platinums only get 4 systemwide upgrades anymore? Only Diamonds will receive that benefit. They try to make it seem good, since they are giving you a choice of 2 of a list of benefits including upgrading a friend to silver, but I'd rather have the certs. If someone I fly with doesn't qualify for silver then they don't fly enough that it would be worth the benefit.
2 less pieces of paper to use as a means to wrap fish or train kittens.

I'd hardly call that a dilution, though the kittens may miss the PMUs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.