Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Spoiled special meal BusinessElite on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spoiled special meal BusinessElite on Delta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
I find it ironic that Delta, presumably afraid that a refund implies accountability and further legal issues, doesn't give satisfactory compensation... possibly pushing the OP to take Delta to court.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Without any proof (original packaging, medical tests, etc.) the OP has no legal case.

In fact, Delta would be foolish to admit any sort of liablity or pay out any significant compensation, just based on the OP's word.
Putting aside the costs, I'd be happy to take this case to court. I bet most doctors would opine that, given the facts relayed by the OP, he got food poisoning from the meal.

Unless you test the OP and the food soon after the incident, you're never going to have actual proof. However, there's plenty of circumstantial evidence here for a strong case.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by FLLDL
Now just prove that your illness was caused by this meal in particular, and not what you ate earlier in the day. Or the day before. Or that is wasn't just a stomach flu. Stomach bugs such as listeria can incubate for a month or two before presenting symptoms.

Again, I don't doubt the veracity of your story but without a medical exam etc it seems unlikely you'll be able to get much more from DL.

No symptoms before the flight + eating expired meal + significant vomiting hours thereafter = proof enough.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by kchoya
Putting aside the costs, I'd be happy to take this case to court. I bet most doctors would opine that, given the facts relayed by the OP, he got food poisoning from the meal.

Unless you test the OP and the food soon after the incident, you're never going to have actual proof. However, there's plenty of circumstantial evidence here for a strong case.

This case is not going to court. He just needs to file. That'll be enough impetus for DL legal to contact him and settle. He'll get something he's happy with, and DL will get him to sign the liability waiver they want. Win-win.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
IMO there really is no case: All DL lawyers have to say is that, by his own admission, the OP checked the date while he was already feeling ill and misread 2008 for 2009. It seems outlandish that a meal may have been kept for 1 year and it's not uncommon for somebody to be sick due to TATL travel stress. Besides, even the production date is no evidence; food may be perfectly edible for a long time after.
Can the OP say which food item is supposed to have caused sickness ? Was the entire tray content spoiled ? Hard to believe.

Not that I'm siding with DL, but it seems to me an easy case to throw.
But maybe DL could decide to hand him a few bucks rather than paying lawyers ?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by kchoya
No symptoms before the flight + eating expired meal + significant vomiting hours thereafter = proof enough.
as others mentioned upthread, frozen foods remain safe indefinitely as long as they remain frozen, regardless of the expiration date. This is even mentioned in the USDA guidelines.

Expiry dates for frozen food have more to do with the taste/texture of the food than anything else.

I do hope that the OP does receive some additional compensation from DL, but case doesn't sound to strong. Who knows what a demand letter on law firm stationary will get you though...
Old Sep 24, 2009, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Platinum for Life, M&M FTL, CO Gold
Originally Posted by thesaints
IMO there really is no case: All DL lawyers have to say is that, by his own admission, the OP checked the date while he was already feeling ill and misread 2008 for 2009. It seems outlandish that a meal may have been kept for 1 year and it's not uncommon for somebody to be sick due to TATL travel stress. Besides, even the production date is no evidence; food may be perfectly edible for a long time after.
Can the OP say which food item is supposed to have caused sickness ? Was the entire tray content spoiled ? Hard to believe.

Not that I'm siding with DL, but it seems to me an easy case to throw.
But maybe DL could decide to hand him a few bucks rather than paying lawyers ?
Production date was definitely in 2008. Expiry in 2009. Have a copy of the FA incident report stating expiration date. As mentioned before, the platter contained fish and shnitzel. The fish was bad/spoiled, the rest seemed fine to me.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brenig
Production date was definitely in 2008. Expiry in 2009. Have a copy of the FA incident report stating expiration date. As mentioned before, the platter contained fish and shnitzel. The fish was bad/spoiled, the rest seemed fine to me.
So what's your next move?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
So what's your next move?
I wrote another letter. I'm waiting for their reply to post.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wrote another letter. I'm waiting for their reply to post.
You're gonna have to turn up the heat. Something more serious. Lawsuit, DOT complaint, youtube video, something.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You fly often? Delta doesn't want to admit liability? You are wavering whether to go legal or take it to another level? Perhaps you should argue that this incident ruined the BE experience for you and that you'd be willing to let Delta make it up to you by giving you a RT BizElite upgrade on a future flight in addition to the voucher offered in order to make it right. Just an idea.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hfly
You fly often? Delta doesn't want to admit liability? You are wavering whether to go legal or take it to another level? Perhaps you should argue that this incident ruined the BE experience for you and that you'd be willing to let Delta make it up to you by giving you a RT BizElite upgrade on a future flight in addition to the voucher offered in order to make it right. Just an idea.
I like the idea, but I'm not sure I'm putting another foot on a Delta plane if this issue is not resolved like I want (or at least closer to my demands). And from all previous communication with Delta, it sounds like they're not into giving anything else other than what they already gave...
I do some 6-8 TATL flights a year and plenty of domestic. I'll probably end up talking my business to CO or to UA. *A is ruling the world anyways...
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:30 am

I like the idea, but I'm not sure I'm putting another foot on a Delta plane if this issue is not resolved like I want (or at least closer to my demands). And from all previous communication with Delta, it sounds like they're not into giving anything else other than what they already gave...
I do some 6-8 TATL flights a year and plenty of domestic. I'll probably end up talking my business to CO or to UA. *A is ruling the world anyways...

contacting them again is a waste of your time and theirs. You're going to come off as a nuisance to Delta.

Personally, $300 is decent compensation , considering you do not have any proof. If you had retained the expired packaging that would be one thing, but considering you haven't, It appears you have no evidence that will support you in a court case, so if the case goes to court, you will probably loose. Delta knows this.

Regardless, if you file in court, you'll probably get a settlement instead of the case actually going to court, just so DL can avoid paying the lawyers court fees and avoid any potential bad publicity.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Marriott Ambassador
Could you please be specific as to what the exact expiry date was?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
if you have an incident report that's already something. Yet, the biggest obstacle will be to prove causality between you feeling sick and the food being expired. It is not a gimme.

Did you seek treatment ? You should be able to provide evidence of how sick you were. Again burden of proof is on you and defense will say it was all in your mind and food didn't really make you sick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.