Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Spoiled special meal BusinessElite on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spoiled special meal BusinessElite on Delta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
Personally I would find the $150 TCV insulting. In your next corrspondance, you might want to hint that this is obviously above this persons pay grade to adjudicate that they toss it up to at least a supervisor, or at most the legal department as this is quite serious.
As this flight originated in Brussels wouldn't the appropriate agency from the EU be the correct place to contact as opposed to DL?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Platinum for Life, M&M FTL, CO Gold
I will make sure to mail them. Anyone has any contact details for the Belgian/EU health inspection?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by thesaints
Did you read the rest of my post ?

If they serve you contaminated food and you can prove it (i.e. prove it in a court of law), it is tantamount to somebody hitting you with their car. Serious money involved and no, "hop in and I'll give you a ride to wherever you were walking to" does not work.
I did read your whole post. IANAL, but being hit with a car is not the same as getting food poisoning, which I've had. Again, not a lawyer, but I've always been told there needs to be damages, and throwing up for a day doesn't count (whereas being hit by a car and significant time out of work with a broken leg would).

If a day of illness is significant enough to command a large money payout, please educate me with examples. Not being snarky. I'd really like to know.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:44 am
Original Poster

I'm not trying to become a millionaire here. All I want is half of my ticket refunded, as half of my flight was spoiled. Not so extreme,no?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by tkey75
I did read your whole post. IANAL, but being hit with a car is not the same as getting food poisoning, which I've had. Again, not a lawyer, but I've always been told there needs to be damages, and throwing up for a day doesn't count (whereas being hit by a car and significant time out of work with a broken leg would).

If a day of illness is significant enough to command a large money payout, please educate me with examples. Not being snarky. I'd really like to know.
The percolating discussion of lawsuits, liability, and damages seems to miss the point. What we know is (1) the OP flew DL on a paid business class ticket; (2) DL served the OP a meal with an expiration date many months or even a year prior to the date of the flight; and (3) the OP became sick on the flight.

The evidence suggesting that the expired meal was contaminated and the evidence linking the meal to the OPs illness is all circumstantial. But that is irrelevant. As far as I can tell, the OP isn't blaming DL for his illness and he isn't trying to "prove" that the expired meal caused his illness. He simply wants to be compensated for a serious failure in DL's service, which may have caused mild food poisoning.

DL should want to do the right thing regardless of whether the OP could establish liability in a court of law. The expired meal, in and of itself, demonstrates that DL failed to provide the expected level of business class service. DL should therefore be willing to provide appropriate compensation -- if only as a gesture of goodwill to a customer who paid $3,000 for his ticket and had a miserable exerperience that was, at least in part, DL's responsibility.

That said, I think the OP's request for a 50% voucher/refund is excessive. But DL's offer of a $150 credit is also insufficient. Something in the range of a $500 credit would seem perfectly reasonable under the circumstances.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
DL are wrong here, they need to fix this issue and do something that makes this right,

My advise to the OP - get the address of the CEO (its on this board) and email him. That's they way to see action. Make yourself a pest.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
It's why myself, and so many of my family have a bitter taste in their mouth anytime someone mentions "Delta".
And going of topic.....

Here is what I don't get, if DL leave a bad taste in your mouth every time its name is mentioned, if you've had a bad experience with DL (or many of them) if they suck as bad as you continually say (and I'm fine with all of that, I can believe you have had bad experiences), why, why, why, why, why, why do you continuously fly with them and spend as much time .....in' and moaning about them as you do? Please explain? (and the merger ain't a reason)

I had a bad customer experience with US Airways a few years ago and I have never since and will never set foot on one of their aircraft again, but I'm not on the US Airways board moaning about them every single day!. I'm simply done with them.

I get that no company is perfect, I get that DL is not perfect, I complain about stuff, WHAT I don't get is the vendetta you and others appear to be on. (Jeez one person here has a DLSUCKs blog?????) Its almost like stalking - let it go. move on!

Last edited by DMIrishFlyer; Sep 10, 2009 at 9:34 am
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by longtimelurker
The percolating discussion of lawsuits, liability, and damages seems to miss the point. What we know is (1) the OP flew DL on a paid business class ticket; (2) DL served the OP a meal with an expiration date many months or even a year prior to the date of the flight; and (3) the OP became sick on the flight.

The evidence suggesting that the expired meal was contaminated and the evidence linking the meal to the OPs illness is all circumstantial. But that is irrelevant. As far as I can tell, the OP isn't blaming DL for his illness and he isn't trying to "prove" that the expired meal caused his illness. He simply wants to be compensated for a serious failure in DL's service, which may have caused mild food poisoning.

I disagree. The context of this issue is extremely important, and exactly why DL is behaving the way it is. It has already been mentioned to upthread that DL may be deliberately under-compensating here specifically to disclaim liability. The insignificant $150 voucher can be argued is their standard goodwill voucher for in-flight issues, and they never admitted to failing to provide service, causing any sort of pain, suffering, etc. CSRs may even be instructed to never issue more than $150 for food poisoing, whereas something like IFE where DL has less of a liability, could have been compensated more generously.

Chances are, most customers will accept this and move on. If the OP wants to extract more (IMO, fairer) compensation out of DL for this, some attention-getting tactic is in order. Filing a small claim is one way of doing it. Contacting the executive office is another. Contacting local media may be a way. Starting a hate site may be another. Who knows. There are plenty of ways.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by DMIrishFlyer
And going of topic.....

Here is what I don't get, if DL leave a bad taste in your mouth every time its name is mentioned, if you've had a bad experience with DL (or many of them) if they suck as bad as you continually say (and I'm fine with all of that, I can believe you have had bad experiences), why, why, why, why, why, why do you continuously fly with them and spend as much time .....in' and moaning about them as you do? Please explain? (and the merger ain't a reason)

I had a bad customer experience with US Airways a few years ago and I have never since and will never set foot on one of their aircraft again, but I'm not on the US Airways board moaning about them every single day!. I'm simply done with them.

I get that no company is perfect, I get that DL is not perfect, I complain about stuff, WHAT I don't get is the vendetta you and others appear to be on. (Jeez one person here has a DLSUCKs blog?????) Its almost like stalking - let it go. move on!
Having not met me I think you're missing the bigger picture: my loyalty was to NW who treated me very very well. (at the same time DL treated me and my family pretty poorly on a few tense occasions.) I was the co-organizer the past 2 years where NW FlyerTalker's raised money to give the NWA Elite Agents an appreciation event.

There are many things I like about Delta, folks that know me, know that I'm possibly the biggest fan of the Mile High Mojito. Its great to see former NW staff looking great in spiffy uniforms, former NW planes getting cleaned, and IFE turned on. HBO on DL is pretty awesome too.

I'm staying with DL for at least a year because I'm simply not throwing away my loyalty & status. I've had the opportunity to interact with and get know NW & DL staff at high & low levels. Aside from the loyalty guy with credibility issues, I find everyone at DL sincere and eager to get past merger problems to create an amazing airline. I'm impressed by their dedication, and really hoping it will show in customer-facing areas once the dust is settled. (In fact yesterday, a DL exec emailed me to say he was traveling to the station where I'd pointed out some problems to do some meetings about making improvements.)

Unfortunately, many of the threads these days are about problems. Posting in them provides a release, a way to know that i've been heard. My goal ins't to annoy you, rather to pressure on DL execs to improve, as I know a lot of DL staff monitor this site.

Apologies if I appear to be a 100% whiner (and going OT to reply to DMIrishFlyer)
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Having not met me I think you're missing the bigger picture: my loyalty was to NW who treated me very very well. (at the same time DL treated me and my family pretty poorly on a few tense occasions.) I was the co-organizer the past 2 years where NW FlyerTalker's raised money to give the NWA Elite Agents an appreciation event.

There are many things I like about Delta, folks that know me, know that I'm possibly the biggest fan of the Mile High Mojito. Its great to see former NW staff looking great in spiffy uniforms, former NW planes getting cleaned, and IFE turned on. HBO on DL is pretty awesome too.

I'm staying with DL for at least a year because I'm simply not throwing away my loyalty & status. I've had the opportunity to interact with and get know NW & DL staff at high & low levels. Aside from the loyalty guy with credibility issues, I find everyone at DL sincere and eager to get past merger problems to create an amazing airline. I'm impressed by their dedication, and really hoping it will show in customer-facing areas once the dust is settled. (In fact yesterday, a DL exec emailed me to say he was traveling to the station where I'd pointed out some problems to do some meetings about making improvements.)

Unfortunately, many of the threads these days are about problems. Posting in them provides a release, a way to know that i've been heard. My goal ins't to annoy you, rather to pressure on DL execs to improve, as I know a lot of DL staff monitor this site.

Apologies if I appear to be a 100% whiner (and going OT to reply to DMIrishFlyer)
tsaboutthejourney - Nice response and you are correct I don't know you and SHOULD NOT pass judgment so readily - I DO understand that you have real issues.

I personally am a big fan of Delta for various reasons (not least of which was they way they treated me after the missed flight in Dublin that was the result of one of the worst hangovers of my life - but that's another story) They have nearly always treated me very well. For example I'm happy that I am forced by my company to buy mostly LUT fare BUT I ride in F 98% of the time.

But likewise I don't like the way certain DL execs have treated the members of this forum with a disregard bordering on contempt, I don't really like the changes to SkyMiles, but do understand that the changes are inevitable (does anyone really expect SkyMiles to be the same now as it was in say 1986?) because change is always inevitable.

I'm also not naive enough to expect that crap never happens, the guy who got the expired meal should be compensated and Delta should apologize and make it right. However should we react like every meal served had expired and a planeload of people puked their way across the Atlantic? - no, but thats almost how we reacted here. Its how a company reacts to those situations that counts, so far it does not appear that DL have reacted very well (we also have to consider we only have one side of the story)

So, thanks for taking the time to respond, I don't think you are whiner, I do think you should give Delta a shot, you may end up liking them more than your expectations have lead you to believe.

And finally lets continue to pressure DL execs to improve, but if we continually do it by blowing every issue out of proportion and by allowing every thread to end up the same way, we won't have any credibility left as a group. We should be tough but constructive and critical but discerning.

Last edited by DMIrishFlyer; Sep 10, 2009 at 2:57 pm
Old Sep 10, 2009, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by DMIrishFlyer

And finally lets continue to pressure DL execs to improve, but if we continually do it by blowing every issue out of proportion and by allowing every thread to end up the same way, we won't have any credibility left as a group. We should be tough but constructive and critical but discerning.
amen to that!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by channa
CSRs may even be instructed to never issue more than $150 for food poisoing, whereas something like IFE where DL has less of a liability, could have been compensated more generously.
Excellent point, might explain why I was offered $300 for non-functioning IFE.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Third letter to Delta. This time to a senior Cust Care member

Dear Mrs xxxx,

I am forwarding you my full communication with one of your customer care employees.

After reading it, I would like you, a senior customer care director, to review the matter and authorize my request.

Even after her second reply, I do not feel that your agent has answered all of my questions.

In addition, I am dissatisfied with her offer of a $150 TCV.

On a personal level, I do not think anyone, including yourself would have taken peace of mind with her offer.

I completely feel as though this matter is being minimized and brushed off with a 150$ courtesy.

In order to get me on a Delta flight in the future, it will take more than what she is offering. I do not think that my request for compensation is in any way exaggerated, especially in light of the fact that I paid 3250$ for my ticket.

I think that a fair settlement would be compensation of half of the fare I paid for my ticket, as half of the flight went terribly wrong.

Please reply to me with positive news.

Awaiting your reply eagerly.

Yours sincerely,

Last edited by brenig; Sep 24, 2009 at 5:42 pm
Old Sep 11, 2009, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What does one expect from a food incident in a restaurant? Hundreds of dollars in cash? Hardly. Why should an airline be different?

Delta's reply contained three essential elements: an acknowledgement, an apology, and compensation. Persisting in asking how the incident could happen is a fool's errand.
Easy to say when you're not the one head in the pan vomiting for an hour. Feel free to let us know how your next case of food poisioning from an airlines or restaurant goes and how you deal with it.@:-)

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Great post, hitting the nail on the head. ^ ^ ^

Frozen food is good for a loooong time if it is kept frozen. Therein lies the rub.

David
Not if it's thawed, re-frozen, thawed and then cooked. I've tossed fish out days prior to the expiry date because it had a very slight odour to it even though I kept it refrigerated.

Originally Posted by SYDguy
Quite. Case is as weak as.. Had there been reports of extensive medical expenses, loss of earnings/business, loss of enjoyment of vacation etc. maybe but none of that occurred.
Got a law degree?

Originally Posted by brenig
Dear Mrs Reed,

In order to get me on a Delta flight in the future, it will take more than what she is offering. I do not think that my request for compensation is in any way exaggerated, especially in light of the fact that I paid 3250$ for my ticket.

I think that a fair settlement would be compensation of half of the fare I paid for my ticket, as half of the flight went terribly wrong.

Please reply to me with positive news.

Awaiting your reply eagerly.

Yours sincerely,
That looks like a fishing trip, you've not hardened your position at all. I would be using much stronger language with the aim of insisting on a satisfactory resolution.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta, United
Chiming in a little late but from:

https://www.google.com/health/ref/Food+poisoning

Overview
Food poisoning is the result of eating organisms or toxins in contaminated food. Most cases of food poisoning are from common bacteria such as Staphylococcus or E. coli.

Symptoms
The symptoms from the most common types of food poisoning generally start within 2 - 6 hours of eating the food. That time may be longer (even a number of days) or shorter, depending on the cause of the food poisoning.

I would say the OP had food poisoning from the meal.

Most people have had food poisoning at some point in their life. The last time I had it after eating out I reported it to the health dept. and the restaurant.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Delta 3rd email.

September 21, 2009 REF #xxxxxxxx

Here the email received from one cust care agent, after I mailed the CEO...

Mr. xxxx

Dear Mr. xxxxx:

Thank you for your correspondence to our CEO, Mr. Richard Anderson,
describing your recent experience with Delta; he has asked me to respond
on his behalf. I apologize for the poor quality Kosher meal that you
received.

The gesture my colleague extended was not meant to place a value on your
experience; rather it was an attempt to make amends for your
disappointment with our service. Due to the circumstances you described
and given that you are a very frequent flyer with us, I would like to
send an additional $150.00 travel voucher. I apologize, but we are
unable to refund any portion of a flown ticket nor offer free tickets.

As an additonal gesture of goodwill, an Electronic Transportation Credit
has been reserved in our system. This voucher can be applied toward the
purchase of a new ticket. Please keep the enclosed Terms and
Conditions, since the number is required for redemption. The e-TCV can
be used online at www.delta.com or when booking directly through one of
our Reservations offices.

Mr. xxxxxx, please know we will make every attempt to provide future
service that earns your respect and confidence.

Sincerely,

xxxx xxxxxx
Coordinator, Customer Care

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.