Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New DL Double or Triple QM Promo in the works? AA fires first shot

New DL Double or Triple QM Promo in the works? AA fires first shot

Old Sep 3, 09, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pitbrian View Post
If you don't mind spending more money, why don't you buy F on whatever carrier provides the best service and not worry about the MQM dilution issue?
I will buy F if I can find a fare solution I can afford. If there is not a fare for what I am willing to pay for F (MY problem, not Delta's), I expect the package which I was promised to be available to me for elite coach seating, elite coach boarding, etc. Elite boarding lately in Detroit is turning into a joke. Why call it Elite (or WHATEVER the term is) if there is not a deliniation between it and the masses. If that is what it is turning into, just put MQMs for sale, and let us write a check at the beginning of the year and be done with it. Hell, create four more levels of "eliteness", then people can feel REALLY special.

I have gladly taken an F upgrade on a $118 RT to MCO, but I CERTAINLY see the ridiculousness of it, and certainly don't take it for granted (or feel I am entitled to it if NW/DL can make more money off of the seat). The WorldClubs have been gutted and over-run. I am seriously considering not renewing my membership because of what it has become. Why pay to sit in a crowded club to avoid sitting in one crowded holding area? I wish they would raise the rates there too and thin the herd a bit.

Maybe just put elite status up auction-style and have all SM members bid on it. Top 2% become Titanium, next 5% Diamond, next 10% Platinum.

At SOME point, business travel is going to bounce back (hasn't slowed down a ton for me), and I can see the ranting posts now - "I am extra-Diamond Medallion and had to sit in 22B"
Old Sep 3, 09, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by pmaddock View Post
This is somewhat maddening to me in that I feel DL seems to think nothing of continually changing 'the deal'. Getting elite status requires a certain level of advance committment - you start out the year and expect that if you give DL your business that you're going to get a benefit package in return. Every time they create these loopholes the package is getting devalued and at this point we've all put 2/3 of the year's business into our part of the deal.
What legacy airline hasn't changed their game (i.e. run an EQM promo) this year? If you are looking for stability in airline FF programs, you are looking in the wrong place.
Old Sep 3, 09, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
What legacy airline hasn't changed their game (i.e. run an EQM promo) this year? If you are looking for stability in airline FF programs, you are looking in the wrong place.
No US airline has devalued the FF mileage value proposition as much and for as many customers as DL management has done since the start of last year.
Old Sep 3, 09, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, etc.
I'm sorry - I'm starting to generalize beyond the topic at hand. This is venting on my part that driven by multiple factors. I can't say I've done a systematic comparison of the airlines but as it gets closer to the start of next year it will be a good idea to do so.
Old Sep 3, 09, 1:53 pm

Location: RDU, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
No US airline has devalued the FF mileage value proposition as much and for as many customers as DL management has done since the start of last year.
Hate to tell you this, but DL was doing it long before last year.

People need to learn to adapt to the currency fluctuation that is skymiles.
Old Sep 3, 09, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by jfulcher View Post
Hate to tell you this, but DL was doing it long before last year.

Or DL needs to do something like United.....GS for those who fly and support the airline at its core business, and the other levels for everyone else.
Old Sep 3, 09, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
Or DL needs to do something like United.....GS for those who fly and support the airline at its core business, and the other levels for everyone else.
That's what EP is for.
Old Sep 3, 09, 2:06 pm

Sorry...one of the b*&[email protected] child NW Medallions. What is EP?
Old Sep 3, 09, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by mersk862
That's what EP is for.
How about making DM the best of the best (forget that best in class junk, aim to be THE BEST).
Old Sep 3, 09, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by jfulcher View Post
Or perhaps avoid it in favor of more consistent/coherent programs.

Right now, however, the airlines gotta do what they gotta do to drum up business. They're damned if they do & damned if they don't.

Originally Posted by ADLFO View Post
How about making DM the best of the best (forget that best in class junk, aim to be THE BEST).
On top of the blatant inflationary promotions that I think we're about to see, that's a great suggestion. You mean a program that actually induces people to fly -- just to pull a number of thin air -- say, 40K miles or so & then rewards them with an SWU or two? And then offers the same carrot for another 40K miles? They might even call it Elite Extra Perks for lack of a more imaginative name.
Old Sep 3, 09, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by ADLFO View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

+1^

And DON'T give it away!
Old Sep 3, 09, 2:13 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Do we have any evidence that a double qualifying miles promotion would increase the number of elites above what it was in 2008? Personally, I have only missed 1 upgrade (RIC-ATL) this year as a GM, and that was after my flight was canceled and I was put onto the standby list for a oversold flight. I've hit ATL-JFK and ATL-SFO Thursday/Friday night upgrades every time.
Old Sep 3, 09, 2:14 pm

+1^

And DON'T give it away!
Sounds like you want "Executive Partner" that's supposedly the Best of the Best. Much like United's Global Services was before it was published.
Old Sep 3, 09, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Sorry...one of the b*&[email protected] child NW Medallions. What is EP?
Executive Partner, aka the "White Envelope". The exact criteria aren't published but it's a revenue-base award generally assumed to have a 125K mileage threshold as well. It is not the DM level.
Old Sep 3, 09, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Originally Posted by MikeMpls View Post
Executive Partner, aka the "White Envelope". The exact criteria aren't published but it's a revenue-base award generally assumed to have a 125K mileage threshold as well. It is not the DM level.
Biggest perk (now that DMs will get a lot of EP perks) is that they have the upgrade priority over everyone (including DMs). Also they get some nice gifts from DL from what I've heard (iPods, noice cancelling headphones, etc. in the past).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: