Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New DL Double or Triple QM Promo in the works? AA fires first shot

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New DL Double or Triple QM Promo in the works? AA fires first shot

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by RobertS975
So what's the problem with duplicating their earlier promo with double MQMs on K+ fares only?
The problem is that my TLV-ATL-FLL-BOS-DCA-ATL-TLV itinerary later this month is on LUT fares.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Frankly, I am very surprised that DL is sitting this one out! They have already shown a culture of indifference towards MQM earning ability with all the non-flying ways one can earn MQMs. So what's the problem with duplicating their earlier promo with double MQMs on K+ fares only?
DL management seems to be more interested in providing elite status to non-flying customers who give DL business than in rewarding customers on its planes by providing more flying customers (more) elite status.

This DL management approach is one that involves marketing cheap candy to customers unlikely to take that much valuable candy from those customers on the DL flights who consume a lot of the DL candy and who would also acquire a bunch of DL candy in the form of redeemable miles from flying.

DL management prefers selling status miles to grounded buyers over providing more status and redeemable miles to customers in the air.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 19, 2009 at 4:01 pm
Old Sep 19, 2009, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder

This DL management approach is one that involves marketing cheap candy to customers who won't be taking that much valuable candy from customers on the DL flights enough to consume a lot of the DL candy and who would acquire a bunch of DL candy in the form of redeemable miles from flying.
Translation, please.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dovster
Translation, please.
Here's where that was going:

1. Status miles cost DL less cash to service than redeemable miles.

2. DL mangement seems to prefer:

(a) selling status miles

over

(b) providing redeemable miles.

3. DL management seems to prefer:

(a) elite status customers who don't earn a lot of redeemable miles from flying

over

(b) elite status customers who earn a lot of redemable miles from flying.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 19, 2009 at 4:10 pm
Old Sep 19, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
(a) selling status miles
over
over
I tend to agree the airlines are trying to sell anything and everything and are getting out of flying planes and delivering service part of the business.

Last edited by troyintn; Sep 19, 2009 at 4:26 pm
Old Sep 19, 2009, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
This DL management approach is one that involves marketing cheap candy to customers unlikely to take that much valuable candy from those customers on the DL flights who consume a lot of the DL candy and who would also acquire a bunch of DL candy in the form of redeemable miles from flying.
Translation, please.
I got confused as well. My mind drifted to Hershey bars and nothing made sense after that.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
So, Delta officially held out and will not offer this double MQM promotion, huh? Darn!
Old Sep 19, 2009, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
So, Delta officially held out and will not offer this double MQM promotion, huh? Darn!
Yep, DL is so profitable and their future bookings are so strong they do not need to match the airlines that are in financial trouble.
They have also run so many promos this year they have max'd out the number of elites they want for next year.

Just booked my Transcon on AA instead of DL.

Last edited by zman; Sep 19, 2009 at 8:25 pm
Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
I don't know how "official" it is. They haven't held a press conference announcing no promo. Nor have they announced a promo. Perhaps they are still coming up with their own slant (US is not doing a 2x promo... just a fast track to status). Perhaps not.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Translation, please.

(a) selling status miles

over

over

This seems accurate.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Well here we are into the last days of September and nada.

I guess Delta must be satisfied with their forward bookings for the rest of the year.

A good promotion could have likely caused me to set up some more trips (much of my biz travel is voluntary) to reach diamond and still have some miles to rollover into 2010 when I expect travel to be reduced for me.

Anyhow, it's been interesting!

David
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Well here we are into the last days of September and nada.

I guess Delta must be satisfied with their forward bookings for the rest of the year.

A good promotion could have likely caused me to set up some more trips (much of my biz travel is voluntary) to reach diamond and still have some miles to rollover into 2010 when I expect travel to be reduced for me.

Anyhow, it's been interesting!

David
I am also astounded that DL has chosen to sit this qualifier mileage promo out. As far as I can see, MQM promos have no cost to the carriers!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:54 pm

I am also astounded that DL has chosen to sit this qualifier mileage promo out. As far as I can see, MQM promos have no cost to the carriers!
Sure they do. As a medallion you get a SkyMiles multiplier on all subsequent flights for the duration of your status. These extra SkyMiles are not sold to partners but given away to medallion members. Silvers gets a 25% bonus, Gold and Platinums get 100%, and the new Diamond Medallions will get 125%. This is a cost. The extra miles have a redeemable value for which DL gets no incremental revenue. Sure, its used to entice customers to choose Delta but it is still a cost.

For the other medallions there is an intangible cost in that the benefits of being medallion are watered-down when there are more and more medallions in the pool.

Last edited by Evan!; Sep 24, 2009 at 6:55 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Evan!
Sure they do. As a medallion you get a SkyMiles multiplier on all subsequent flights for the duration of your status. These extra SkyMiles are not sold to partners but given away to medallion members. Silvers gets a 25% bonus, Gold and Platinums get 100%, and the new Diamond Medallions will get 125%. This is a cost. The extra miles have a redeemable value for which DL gets no incremental revenue. Sure, its used to entice customers to choose Delta but it is still a cost.

For the other medallions there is an intangible cost in that the benefits of being medallion are watered-down when there are more and more medallions in the pool.
It's a house of cards, Evan! It doesn't cost DL a thing! They decide when they want to redeem your miles and for how much. And MQMs are not redeemable. And the bonus miles that medallions earn are just more miles out in the ether... along with all those Amex miles, Avis miles and so forth.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:14 pm

It's a house of cards, Evan! It doesn't cost DL a thing! They decide when they want to redeem your miles and for how much. And MQMs are not redeemable. And the bonus miles that medallions earn are just more miles out in the ether... along with all those Amex miles, Avis miles and so forth.
True to some degree but Amex and Avis miles are sold to Amex and Avis. They are not given away for free. The medallion bonuses are free miles from Delta to medallions. These bonuses are directly related to how many MQMs you earn. So although MQMs are not redeemable they can affect the amount of redeemable miles are out there.

If there is no cost to MQMs then why don't all airlines offer 10 elite miles per mile flown? Why do some offer only 50% accrual on certain fares? If there is no cost then why not give away more?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.