Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Annouces "New BusinessElite" Sevices Between JFK - LAX & SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Annouces "New BusinessElite" Sevices Between JFK - LAX & SFO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Post Delta Annouces "New BusinessElite" Sevices Between JFK - LAX & SFO

NEW YORK, Aug. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) today announced a significant expansion of BusinessElite service from New York. The airline ... in September will begin to introduce new BusinessElite service on transcontinental flights between Delta's JFK hub and Los Angeles and San Francisco
Popular cradle-style seats with 150 degrees of recline and 55 inches of pitch in the BusinessElite cabin on all transcontinental flights between New York and San Francisco and Los Angeles
Wireless Internet access for both business- and economy-class customers on all flights between New York and Los Angeles and San Francisco by the end of the year"

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=754

Before this annoucement, I noticed that 757-200s with business elite seats began to appear in schedule starting September 09...I thought something was up.

Now, the real question is, what kind of "New BusinessElite" service will Delta provide on this route?

Will meals be enhanced even further with appetizer/soup/salad like true business elite? Will amenity kits, large pillows, and duvets be given on all flights? Or, is this just a publicity stunt with no true enhancement except for the businesselite seats?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta GM, AA Plat, SPG Plat
And does the "New BusinessElite" service still qualify for complimentary upgrades?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I guess this is more than just a seasonal upgrade in aircraft. Now DL's on par with Virgin America in terms of type of seat.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
I guess this is more than just a seasonal upgrade in aircraft. Now DL's on par with Virgin America in terms of type of seat.
I don't think they are doing this to compete with Virgin Someone else with the initials p.s. comes to mind
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
^ Great competitive move. Sounds like the cut-back in international service this Fall has freed up the BE equipped aircraft for this service. Delta has, from time to time, flown BE equipped aircraft on these routes; but, the service was not marketed or sold as BE. That they are now marketing the flights as "new" and "BusinessElite" implies a real service enhancement on these flights, IMHO. I would anticipate the full BE treatment...large pillows, duvets, noise cancelling head sets, enhanced meal service, etc.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I don't think they are doing this to compete with Virgin Someone else with the initials p.s. comes to mind
As previously mentioned in other threads UA and really AA dominate the corporate contracts on SFO-JFK and LAX-JFK respectively. UA and AA offer 3-class service and DL still won't. The DL BE seat is identical to the VX seat. This is a nice upgrade compared to the regular F seats but DL is still inferior to AA and UA.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:00 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by kniksefat
And does the "New BusinessElite" service still qualify for complimentary upgrades?
I would say this is an important point as well.

Further, its about time DL!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kniksefat
This could explain the confusing wording surrounding the new day-of-departure upgrade policy WRT the new SWUs.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:07 am

In a dummy DL.com booking, upgrades still show as request only...though that could change. I have a feeling this will be nothing more than BE seats, with standard domestic F servie.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DL4EVR
In a dummy DL.com booking, upgrades still show as request only...though that could change. I have a feeling this will be nothing more than BE seats, with standard domestic F servie.
There is already a slight difference in the meal service.

Flights between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, and Seattle
In addition to our snack selection you will also receive a complimentary meal with a choice of two entrées from Delta Chef Michelle Bernstein (at lunch and dinner only2), a bag of premium gourmet nuts, and ice cream truffle
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check....../dining.jsp
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As previously mentioned in other threads UA and really AA dominate the corporate contracts on SFO-JFK and LAX-JFK respectively.
Exactly, that's why DL wants a piece of the pie. As I stated in my original post, DL's move to improve the service isn't to compete with VX, but with UA and AA.

UA and AA offer 3-class service and DL still won't. The DL BE seat is identical to the VX seat. This is a nice upgrade compared to the regular F seats but DL is still inferior to AA and UA.
Actually, as an UA1K, I have flown countless p.s. flights as well as AA transcon. AA's product sucks. It's hardly premium service. They use those OLLLLLLLD 767s and their meal services don't even come close to p.s. If DL enhances their meal service on this route, it will be better than UA p.s.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There is already a slight difference in the meal service.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check....../dining.jsp
That's not really an enhancement. The ice cream is the only thing extra. Most people on this board already know this slight difference as well as the ability to access Skyclub.

The real question is if DL will upgrade to meal to true business elite.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mods might want to merge with this thread as today's press release is confirmation.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...lax-route.html
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL4EVR
I have a feeling that will be the case as well. But, they really need to raise the bar. CO and UA serve int'l style meals on this route. We will see.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Delta used to fly BE-equipped 767s between JFK-LAX/SFO years ago, and it was marketed as domestic bizelite. Medallion upgrades were allowed (it used to be only on K-fare and higher though and required points), and I would expect they will allow them this time too of course. The service was better than domestic F but still nowhere near as nice as full BE. I remember having a brilliant risotto and champagne on one flight to SFO. Those were the good old days, because not only were there tons of BE seats in the 767s but they also devoted the mini-cabin to BE versus coach as it is today.

Of course, on the 757s today the upgrade rates should go down for Medallions because there are 16 F seats versus the 26 we've become used to with the ex-song planes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.