Wiki Posts
Search

PM saturation has arrived

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:35 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Yep. I won't be.
I'll give you a wave as you walk by me to your seat in the back.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by DP-340
PM saturation is definitely here:

Even with the AMEX-Reserve card, I am No.10 out of 24 on the upgrade list for LAX-ATL and only 3 available F seats! Now I know where all the silvers and golds are...
How do you figure that - to see only 24 people on the upgrade list for any LAX-ATL would indicate the opposite to saturation!! It must be an anomaly, I remember one flight back in 2006 where I was number 68 of 70+ on an LAX-ATL, this is the norm and has been for years. Its probably the hardest route to get an upgrade on.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by DMIrishFlyer
How do you figure that - to see only 24 people on the upgrade list for any LAX-ATL would indicate the opposite to saturation!! It must be an anomaly, I remember one flight back in 2006 where I was number 68 of 70+ on an LAX-ATL, this is the norm and has been for years. Its probably the hardest route to get an upgrade on.
I am sure they closed the UG list at 24 with only 3 seats open. There are probably a ton more folks who got the message: "First Class is not available, Upgrade List Full" The 24 on the list along with the 21-25 already up front says the flight has 50+ elites that we know of.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I am sure they closed the UG list at 24 with only 3 seats open. There are probably a ton more folks who got the message: "First Class is not available, Upgrade List Full" The 24 on the list along with the 21-25 already up front says the flight has 50+ elites that we know of.
I thought Delta stopped closing domestic upgrade waitlists...even when the chance of clearing is non-existant.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by DLfan
I thought Delta stopped closing domestic upgrade waitlists...even when the chance of clearing is non-existant.
That's what I recall as PMs were getting angry when they weren't able to battle it out.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by DLfan
Not sure as I have luckily not seen that message. NW does shut it down at a certain point so I assumed DL did the same.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Later, (1/2 hour before boarding) I ended up being #18 of 41 on Upgrade List... I know it is a hard route to get an upgrade and was not really expecting one, as I have been ~10 out of 60 many times before on this flight...

This is a single experience but it suggests to me that there are proportionally fewer Silvers/Golds and PM/no-reserve than before. Hence, PM saturation. It also suggests to me that there are fewer medallions flying and that more medallions book at the last minute.

Last edited by DP-340; Sep 4, 2009 at 7:54 am
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by avidflyer
Delta never close the UG list anymore - they used to but not for at least the last 3 years. GO to ATL on any given Monday morning and look at the upgrade waitlist for any LAX flight - you'll see 80+ on the list.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by DP-340
Later, (1/2 hour before boarding) I ended up being #18 of 41 on Upgrade List... I know it is a hard route to get an upgrade and was not really expecting one, as I have been ~10 out of 60 many times before on this flight...

This is a single experience but it suggests to me that there are proportionally fewer Silvers/Golds and PM/no-reserve than before. Hence, PM saturation. It also suggests to me that there are fewer medallions flying and that more medallions book at the last minute.
I dunno - even 41 on the list seems small, it suggests something else.

Another observation, I took the redeye PHX - ATL on Wednesday night and there was 13 empty seats in first right before they cleared the UG list and we went out with 3 empty seats (the back was full) I can't remember the last time I've seen F go with empty seats and I've certainly never seen it go with empty seats on PHX-ATL
Old Sep 5, 2009, 8:40 am

Delta never close the UG list anymore - they used to but not for at least the last 3 years. GO to ATL on any given Monday morning and look at the upgrade waitlist for any LAX flight - you'll see 80+ on the list.
I don't think this is true, I've seen this on the screen at the gate twice in the last two weeks while waiting to board.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by IlxPirata
I don't think this is true, I've seen this on the screen at the gate twice in the last two weeks while waiting to board.
I've seen it closed (announcement was made) recently after FC is checked in full.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Sep 6, 2009 at 8:43 am
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
I have seen the standby list closed at the gate but, lately, I have not seen (or heard any announcement) that the UG list was closed.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 3:48 pm

Sorry - seen what on the screen? that the upgrade list is closed?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 6:47 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Ooops. Wrong reply.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
You cant even clear an UG from CVG to LAX as a PM within the 5 day window on an 'M' fare. Check the next 5 days, Nothing!!! And I thought that CVG wasnt medallion heavy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.