Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pics: DL 767-400 business class -with newly installed lie flat seats (and more)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pics: DL 767-400 business class -with newly installed lie flat seats (and more)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 4:07 am

Since this appears to be the master thread on the new 767-400 lie-flat seats, I just wanted to add a few thoughts. I was finally able to chase down the lie-flats after far too many 764 flights where I was disappointed to find the old seats (didn't help that when I was commuting ATL-GRU it was still early in the reconfiguration process!).

Most things that need to be said have already been said, but overall I found these seats terrific. I loved the large console, and after getting used to direct aisle access for every passenger, it's hard to go back to the old configuration (I'm looking at you, the new United).

Just two nits come to mind:

1) Very early in the thread, there was some discussion of just 2 lavs for 40 BE pax, all located doors 2L/2R right in front of coach. On my flight, I didn't notice any issue with coach pax using the BE lavs. I thought having all of the galley service in the front of the cabin and all the lavs behind the cabin worked out nicely, since pax and FAs weren't getting into each other's way.

What annoyed me was that one lav was closed off for crew use. Now, to be fair, I don't know if this was the case the entire flight, or just during a point when all 3 pilots were using the lav before landing. But there was a line of BE pax waiting for the 1 toilet, while the second one blocked while a pilot would use it, come out and lock it, return to the flight deck, and repeat with the next pilot.

If they had it closed off the entire flight, that's frustrating to me. I can understand if they just close it off for this end-of-flight pilot bathroom routine so they're not stuck in line, but in that case it'd be kind of nice if they did that maybe 2 hrs before landing, not 1 hr before landing when the bathrooms are in highest demand. But, yes, this is a small complaint.

2) The IFE screen was too far away to comfortably use the touch-screen to navigate the menus. I would have expected a handheld controller (which I seem to recall seeing in the DL marketing videos for the seats) but, if there was one, I couldn't find it. It got a little uncomfortable to keep leaning far forward to pause, navigate menus, make a selection, etc.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I just landed in LHR and I saw folk from coach coming up to use the BE lavs.

Sitting in 1A, I miss having a lav up front (like the RJ7 OKC-ATL as well) but think the 763 thread says this has been addressed in the new configuration.

There is a long thread somewhere about the crew closing one of the lavs, but I have only 20 minutes left in the Yotel.

I wish someone would remind me why the AVOD does not have any of the current movies. There are more movies than say the old 763 but nothing from 2012 that I could find.

Thanks to rwoman and mtkeller for their pinpoint accurate advice about getting around LHR.

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 4, 2012 at 4:45 am
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by BizJet
What annoyed me was that one lav was closed off for crew use. Now, to be fair, I don't know if this was the case the entire flight, or just during a point when all 3 pilots were using the lav before landing. But there was a line of BE pax waiting for the 1 toilet, while the second one blocked while a pilot would use it, come out and lock it, return to the flight deck, and repeat with the next pilot.

If they had it closed off the entire flight, that's frustrating to me. I can understand if they just close it off for this end-of-flight pilot bathroom routine so they're not stuck in line, but in that case it'd be kind of nice if they did that maybe 2 hrs before landing, not 1 hr before landing when the bathrooms are in highest demand. But, yes, this is a small complaint..
I have never had one of the 764 BE lavs closed off during the entire flight for the pilots, only at the end of the flight..and the pilots are usually quite apologetic about it and try to use them as expeditiously as possible...

Originally Posted by BizJet
2) The IFE screen was too far away to comfortably use the touch-screen to navigate the menus. I would have expected a handheld controller (which I seem to recall seeing in the DL marketing videos for the seats) but, if there was one, I couldn't find it. It got a little uncomfortable to keep leaning far forward to pause, navigate menus, make a selection, etc.
There is a handheld controller that is tucked away on the console table, on the edge closest to the seat. It is not readily apparent; you have to lift the cover/lid to get to it...
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta

There is a handheld controller that is tucked away on the console table, on the edge closest to the seat. It is not readily apparent; you have to lift the cover/lid to get to it...
I wish I had know this yesterday so hopefully I will remember this from now on as I find controls on the screen sometimes slow or unresponsive.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:16 am

On my return flight, I did find the handheld controller tucked away beneath the cover in the console/armrest. Can't believe I missed it the first time!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:12 pm

I had 1A ATL-LHR a few days ago. The OB for 1A was stuffed with pillows and duvets which I had to empty to put in my rollaboard.

I have always known that extra pillows and the like helped me survive the old 763 recliners, but now I know for sure that I like having the same even on the 764. So are these pillows and duvet always around and all one has to do is ask for an extra set?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Do you have any additional foot space in 1A than a seat in row 2 or 3?

Originally Posted by Xeno
I had 1A ATL-LHR a few days ago. The OB for 1A was stuffed with pillows and duvets which I had to empty to put in my rollaboard.

I have always known that extra pillows and the like helped me survive the old 763 recliners, but now I know for sure that I like having the same even on the 764. So are these pillows and duvet always around and all one has to do is ask for an extra set?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by drjazz
Do you have any additional foot space in 1A than a seat in row 2 or 3?
AFAIK, there is no significant difference with regard to foot space.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by rwoman
AFAIK, there is no significant difference with regard to foot space.
The footwell in all of the first row are AT LEAST twice as big as any of the others. IMO, it makes a massive difference in comfort. It also provides a space to tuck the pillow and blanket during takeoff and landing.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
The footwells in row 1 are larger than the other rows. On the other hand, you're staring at a close-in wall so there's a cramped-in feeling.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:17 pm
mdb

Originally Posted by duluthDL
The footwells in row 1 are larger than the other rows. On the other hand, you're staring at a close-in wall so there's a cramped-in feeling.
I can second this.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Amex Centurion, Delta Reserve
Not as comfortable

So I just flew JFK-MXP on a 764 and was pretty disappointed with the (lack of) comfort I experienced trying to sleep. I'm not tall and I'm not fat, but I found the narrow seat very difficult to sleep in unless I slept on my side. The foot space was convenient, but if your feet extend beyond the padding of the seat, your feet are resting on very hard carpeted metal.

I feel like a jerk for complaining that my BED inside an airplane flying at 34,000 feet (thank you Louis CK) was uncomfortable, but I've experienced better lie-flat seats on other US carriers.

As for lavatory problem...no coach pax using the 1st class lavs, but on my flight business class was totally sold out (39 pax) and there was always someone in the bathroom when I wanted to use it. Not awful but having a forward lav would have been helpful.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I had this config on MSP-SEA last night. I found the seats in BE to be a little narrow in the upright position, but were very comfortable when reclined. I fly mostly domestic, so this was a treat.

Interesting point. The flight continued as DL 9935 to Paine Field.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.