Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China Eastern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by El Boocho
  • Lounges used were KE-LAX; V7 First Class Lounge-NKG; Miracle Lounge-BKK. I think all were accessible with Priority Pass as well. none were great. BKK Miracle Lounge was probably the best of the bunch.
At BKK, when I flew BKK-PVG-LAX, I was given an invitation to this lounge but I didn't hear great things about it. I instead went to the AF lounge, which was great. Surprised you didn't try to go to that lounge or the CI lounge down the hall, especially if you (presumably) have status.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Akiestar
At BKK, when I flew BKK-PVG-LAX, I was given an invitation to this lounge but I didn't hear great things about it. I instead went to the AF lounge, which was great. Surprised you didn't try to go to that lounge or the CI lounge down the hall, especially if you (presumably) have status.
I think the lounge pass specifically said one of the Miracle Lounges, there are a bunch similarly branded. Can you use the pass for other ST lounges? I have status, but I think I can only get +1 in with me and I had +3. We didn't actually go to the one listed, but went to another that had some positive ratings in the Priority Pass app (regional lounge of the year or some BS). Probably should have done more research, but it was fine and convenient. That said, I'd try something else next time. Terminal was a zoo at 1AM, so despite the fact that I generally enjoy wandering around, I think I'd stick to a lounge at that time of day.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Had 4 flights on MU in the past couple weeks. Not much of a sample size, but here are my thoughts (in no particular order):
  • LAX-NKG (and return) equipment was either switched or was a bait and switch. A330 configuration was 6 across rather than the 4 across in the seat maps up until a couple days prior to departure. We were 2 adults and 2 kids under 10 y.o., so 2x2x2 ended up working fine for us.
  • Despite the configuration, seats were comfortable. There is no small foot well issue which was a plus for me.
  • on departure, MU used a hardstand at LAX and the whole process was less than fair at best.
  • Transit at NKG (post BKK-NKG) is a little painful and time consuming. We have china visas and were told it was faster to go through immigration and come back through security rather than wait with all the other international transit passengers, so that is what we did. I think for a family of 4 with tired kids it was a bit faster, but had I been solo, it would have been much faster.
  • Car service to and from LAX that was provided by airline was very nice.
MU has multiple different configuration A330 J cabins. They try to keep the better (ie all aisle) configuration on longer routes. However sometimes a substitute means a 2x2x2 gets subbed in. They're slowly going way of the DoDo, but will be around for sometime.

LAX remote stands are at least real jetbridges. Most airports you'd have to be bussed, followed by climbing stairs.

Transit in China can be a pain depending on the airport. Some are setup decently, others not at all. NKG is know for being the latter.

What car service? Either this is new or I've missed something.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:42 pm

I think the lounge pass specifically said one of the Miracle Lounges, there are a bunch similarly branded. Can you use the pass for other ST lounges? I have status, but I think I can only get +1 in with me and I had +3. We didn't actually go to the one listed, but went to another that had some positive ratings in the Priority Pass app (regional lounge of the year or some BS). Probably should have done more research, but it was fine and convenient. That said, I'd try something else next time. Terminal was a zoo at 1AM, so despite the fact that I generally enjoy wandering around, I think I'd stick to a lounge at that time of day.
You can't use the pass for the actual SkyTeam-affiliated lounges, but yes, for elite status it's +1. Not sure if children count against the +1 (which I know is the case for the Sky Clubs) but it might be fair to ask. That said, you will need to talk to the person at the front desk to let you in -- they seem to be confused over elites using their lounges but not flying AF, KL or CI.

For me, I liked how the lounge had showers, although I didn't use them (I ended up showering in PVG). The spread was decent, and best of all, the lounge was quiet -- I was there at around 10:00 pm since BKK-PVG wasn't scheduled to leave until 2:00 am.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
MU has multiple different configuration A330 J cabins. They try to keep the better (ie all aisle) configuration on longer routes. However sometimes a substitute means a 2x2x2 gets subbed in. They're slowly going way of the DoDo, but will be around for sometime.

What car service? Either this is new or I've missed something.
I was told by the check in agent at LAX that LAX-NKG was always 2x2x2. I have no idea if this is true, but I know neither of the seat maps indicated such.

Car service was provided by Dav El. It was a very nice Navigator/Expedition/Excursion (one of those) one way and a GMC Yukon the other. https://us.ceair.com/en/limo-application.html
They also provide a transit hotel where necessary, but I think I'd rather book my own hotels, which I did in NKG. We stayed at the Pullman attached to the airport and it was super easy and nice enough for a 10 hr stay.

Last edited by El Boocho; Jul 23, 2019 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Akiestar
You can't use the pass for the actual SkyTeam-affiliated lounges, but yes, for elite status it's +1. Not sure if children count against the +1 (which I know is the case for the Sky Clubs) but it might be fair to ask. That said, you will need to talk to the person at the front desk to let you in -- they seem to be confused over elites using their lounges but not flying AF, KL or CI.

For me, I liked how the lounge had showers, although I didn't use them (I ended up showering in PVG). The spread was decent, and best of all, the lounge was quiet -- I was there at around 10:00 pm since BKK-PVG wasn't scheduled to leave until 2:00 am.
FWIW, PP gets you into the AF/KL lounge too. The Miracle lounge had showers though I didn't use them, but I suspect they were decent given the bathrooms were pretty nice. Food spread was nothing to write home about, but there was a hot kitchen/noodle bar in addition to the chafing dish stuff. The AF food and drink looked better for sure.

Interesting you were able to check in so early. Check in for BKK-NKG didn't start until 11:30p for the 2:10a departure. I was surprised how late they started. We were there by 11:00p and were just waiting around. They had a printed up sign, so it seemed like maybe that was their SOP.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: DL Skymiles: Gold AA: Platinum Pro
I would appreciate any ideas on what I should do next. I bought the following ticket on China Eastern, bus. class with miles to accredit on Skymiles:
26 Dec 19 LAX-NKG, NKG-CAN
30 Dec 19 CAN-PVG, PVG-LAX
At check in at LAX on the 26th my flight was changed to LAX-PVG, PVG-CAN

I have been credited with miles from LAX-NKG only (which I didn't fly)
China Eastern telephone lady told me to take it up with Delta
Delta says they can't "open" the ticket and therefore I should take it up with China Eastern.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by memomelaque
I would appreciate any ideas on what I should do next. I bought the following ticket on China Eastern, bus. class with miles to accredit on Skymiles:

Delta says they can't "open" the ticket and therefore I should take it up with China Eastern.
I'd ask for mileage credit using DL's form. Explain to them the situation, attach your boarding passes, and ask for original mileage credit.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
Originally Posted by memomelaque

Have you submitted copies of your boarding passes to Delta? This is what I had to do to get mine credited, although I did not have the complexity of the original routing changing.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I have never been asked for BPs and always get it resolved by DL.

Sometimes it takes a second try though. Send in the email request via DL.COM with nothing more than the raw information. If that fails, then call in and it should be properly handled then.

EDIT: It might be the case that the electronic submission creates the "ticket" the agent was talking about.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I have never been asked for BPs and always get it resolved by DL.

Sometimes it takes a second try though. Send in the email request via DL.COM with nothing more than the raw information. If that fails, then call in and it should be properly handled then.

EDIT: It might be the case that the electronic submission creates the "ticket" the agent was talking about.
I traveled in a party of 5 in PE LAX-CAN return. Only one out of the 5 LAX-CAN (one way) posted automatically. All the other ones I had to submit a mileage credit claim with a picture of my BP. Luckily I took a picture before they took the part that showed I had an S class ticket. After a DL IT ticket has been generated, I get a notice that miles will be posted in 48 hours. But then the status changed from processing to “Partners denied miles.” Each time I then had to tweet DL to resolve. They then said I’m not sure why it didn’t go through but the miles will post within 24 hours. I’ve now claimed back 3 out of the 5 SM / MQM. Still waiting for the other 2 cases to go through. A side note: you can’t submit too many mileage credit cases at the same time... I suspect DL IT automatically thinks you’re duplicating your requests. So for each person I had to wait for a day or two to submit these emails. It’s a pain but given it’s 15k SM each, I’m willing to do this while I work on other stuff.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles: Gold AA: Platinum Pro
After almost 10 emails in each direction I have been promised by Delta that the miles will be credited to my account in "10 to 15" business days. I will update again when I finally see the miles on my account. Thanks for the help and very good suggestions.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:36 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
So 2 months ago I booked a trip to the Maldives in May using Skymiles, since the St. Regis there is having an excellent promotion, but it looks like MU is complicating things. On the outbound, I originally booked ATL > JFK>PVG>MLE for the outbound, and the same for the return, except replacing JFK with SFO. I logged into my Delta account yesterday and it now shows ATL to JFK to PVG, then separately KMG to CMB to MLE. When I called Delta they said the PVG to MLE leg was no longer confirmed (maybe it’s been cancelled by MU?) and that MU had rerouted me. I told them that was fine, but the new routing was highly problematic since there’s a gaping hole between PVG and KMG both ways. Why would MU think this is acceptable, and do I have any options? The Delta agent was unable to find any other award space on MU or other Skyteam carriers, and suggested that I cancel and “start over”. I’m not sure what good that will do if nothing is available, but why does award space matter if my original flight was cancelled?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Saidoh
why does award space matter if my original flight was cancelled?
Because Delta is cheap. When another airline (other than DL) cancels its flight, or otherwise you are unconfirmed, DL will only rebook you when there is SkyTeam award availability. If there is none, sorry, too bad. Al that DL will do is give you a refund and "good luck starting over" (obviously if you have to do that, there are no options to get where you are going). Even if there is availability to get to where you are going via different routing, if it doesn't price as a through fare, then DL may want to charge you double, triple, even quadruple and quintuple miles more just to rebook you, through no fault of your own.

That's just the way Dullta operates.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Seriously though, do segment by segment search of all possible SkyTeam routing award availability (SU via SVO? but I think DL still won't let you book any SU awards, been that way for a few years now I believe), and if you find a way to get to where you need to go, then give DL the flights segment by segment. It'll may be a lengthy (possibly a few hours each day for a few weeks) battle to have DL put you on the alternate routing as an even exchange. I typically plan to spend about as much time as the total flying time, up to double, just getting it ticketed by DL. That's just the way it is in DL..

Now, if DL flew to there, then DL could open up the award inventory. ALSO, if there was a way to get there via KL/AF, AZ or I believe VS (and may be even KE, though I doubt it), while DL really, really, really doesn't like to do it, they COULD make their JV airline open up award inventory for you. But I don't think that is relevant in case of your destination here..
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Because Delta is cheap. When another airline (other than DL) cancels its flight, or otherwise you are unconfirmed, DL will only rebook you when there is SkyTeam award availability. If there is none, sorry, too bad. Al that DL will do is give you a refund and "good luck starting over" (obviously if you have to do that, there are no options to get where you are going). Even if there is availability to get to where you are going via different routing, if it doesn't price as a through fare, then DL may want to charge you double, triple, even quadruple and quintuple miles more just to rebook you, through no fault of your own.

That's just the way Dullta operates.

Good luck. You'll need it.
It's the way all airlines operate for awards. Your overall hate for DL never ceases to amaze.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.