Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New York JFK Delta Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
  • T4:
    • near gate B31
    • pop-up temporary club in the former Wingtips lounge space (stay on same level after clearing TSA and turn right)
  • T2: mezzanine level T2 is closed
JFK Delta Sky Club vs Centurion thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...on-lounge.html

Print Wikipost

New York JFK Delta Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Keep in mind that T3 - 11 and 12 are only open in afternoons, so if you are coming in off a redeye, you need to go to T2.

The Oasis lounge in T4 (which SC members have access to) also have showers.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: DL PM
JFK Sky Club Attendants - Rude and Uninformed

Hello everyone - I am a long time reader - first time poster. I wanted to share a recent experience that I had at the JFK Sky Club in the hopes that someone from Delta will read about my experience and correct the problem for future travelers.

I was recently traveling JFK-LAX on a full fare Y class ticket. I had previously read on Delta.com that passengers in BE or traveling on a full fare Y class ticket for JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO flights are granted complimentary Sky Club access. Upon my arrival at JFK I proceeded to the Sky Club using the elevator entrance. I approached the agent at the desk and explained that I was traveling to LAX on a Y class ticket and I asked to be given access. She asked if I was in BE - I said no. She then refused to allow me access. I explained to her that Y fares were also eligible. After several back and forths with me asking her to check with someone to confirm, she stood firm and told me that I was not eligible, so I left - a little embarassed and a lot confused.

Not sure if I read the information correctly on the internet, I pulled the information up on my phone. Sure enough, I was correct. I then called the 800 number to confirm and the person on the line - who was quite helpful - confirmed. I went back up to the Sky Club - this time using the stairs and approached a different attendant. I explained the same thing to that attendant and was yet again told no. This time I showed the attendant the website on my phone. She proceeded to read only the first half of the site and told me - "It says you must be in BE." I instructed her to keep reading, which she did, and she then read that Y class fares were also eligible. She responded with an "Ok" and then began processing my boarding pass. I let the attendant know that the attendant working the other entrance was also misinformed and that she should speak with her manager and the other attendants to be sure that everyone knows the rules and protocol. She then acted as if it was an inconvenience for her to finish processing my boarding pass into the Sky Club and never apologized.

I am a young - 30 years old - business traveler and I have recently reached GM. I want to like DL and continue to give them my business. I have also been considering joining the Sky Club due to increased travel. However, with this experience (coupled with another abysmal Sky Club experience at ATL Terminal E, which I will not get into here) I'm not sure if a Sky Club membership is a good buy. I do want to say that agent that I spoke with on the 800 number was quite helpful. She also offered to send me a one day Sky Club pass for future use, which I received in the mail this week.

If anyone from Delta is reading this, please be sure that the Sky Club attendants know how the rules that apply to their jobs. This was a bit embarassing and an inconvenience for me and I don't believe that passengers should be charged with training Delta employees. Also, a dose of customer service training is definitely in order for the staff at the JFK Sky Club.

Lastly, thanks to the full fare Y class ticket, I did end up with the upgrade. The BE service was quite nice - keep up the good work on that front Delta.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
why didn't you just pay $50 and then have Delta refund it or dispute it with Amex? If brief arguing doesn't get me where I need to be I always pay and later have it refunded.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:00 am

I could have done that, but I shouldn't have to. Also, I am a firm believer that people should know how to do their job - especially people in the service industry. This is an issue that - in my mind - is quite simple and fundamental. The attendants at the JFK Sky Club just need to get it right....
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Plat
did your boarding pass say skyclub on it? If you were in Full Y it would of said SkyClub on it.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
did your boarding pass say skyclub on it? If you were in Full Y it would of said SkyClub on it.
Beat me to the punch. Great question.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:03 am

I don't remember. Both attendants wouldn't even look at my boarding pass until I convinced the second attendant by showing her my phone that Y class tickets are eligible.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you have an Amex Platinum card, you can access any SC on any fare.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jt1114
I could have done that, but I shouldn't have to. Also, I am a firm believer that people should know how to do their job - especially people in the service industry. This is an issue that - in my mind - is quite simple and fundamental. The attendants at the JFK Sky Club just need to get it right....
why work yourself up over such a minor issue. Instead of arguing with 2 agents and running back and forth you simply pay. Once you write to Delta they will also throw in some extra miles for your troubles.
I agree you should have access on a full Y ticket and so far I have experienced few issues in JFK re: access.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:59 am
Suspended

DL at JFK

Originally Posted by jt1114
Hello everyone - I am a long time reader - first time poster. I wanted to share a recent experience that I had at the JFK Sky Club in the hopes that someone from Delta will read about my experience and correct the problem for future travelers.

I was recently traveling JFK-LAX on a full fare Y class ticket. I had previously read on Delta.com that passengers in BE or traveling on a full fare Y class ticket for JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO flights are granted complimentary Sky Club access. Upon my arrival at JFK I proceeded to the Sky Club using the elevator entrance. I approached the agent at the desk and explained that I was traveling to LAX on a Y class ticket and I asked to be given access. She asked if I was in BE - I said no. She then refused to allow me access. I explained to her that Y fares were also eligible. After several back and forths with me asking her to check with someone to confirm, she stood firm and told me that I was not eligible, so I left - a little embarassed and a lot confused.

Not sure if I read the information correctly on the internet, I pulled the information up on my phone. Sure enough, I was correct. I then called the 800 number to confirm and the person on the line - who was quite helpful - confirmed. I went back up to the Sky Club - this time using the stairs and approached a different attendant. I explained the same thing to that attendant and was yet again told no. This time I showed the attendant the website on my phone. She proceeded to read only the first half of the site and told me - "It says you must be in BE." I instructed her to keep reading, which she did, and she then read that Y class fares were also eligible. She responded with an "Ok" and then began processing my boarding pass. I let the attendant know that the attendant working the other entrance was also misinformed and that she should speak with her manager and the other attendants to be sure that everyone knows the rules and protocol. She then acted as if it was an inconvenience for her to finish processing my boarding pass into the Sky Club and never apologized.

I am a young - 30 years old - business traveler and I have recently reached GM. I want to like DL and continue to give them my business. I have also been considering joining the Sky Club due to increased travel. However, with this experience (coupled with another abysmal Sky Club experience at ATL Terminal E, which I will not get into here) I'm not sure if a Sky Club membership is a good buy. I do want to say that agent that I spoke with on the 800 number was quite helpful. She also offered to send me a one day Sky Club pass for future use, which I received in the mail this week.

If anyone from Delta is reading this, please be sure that the Sky Club attendants know how the rules that apply to their jobs. This was a bit embarassing and an inconvenience for me and I don't believe that passengers should be charged with training Delta employees. Also, a dose of customer service training is definitely in order for the staff at the JFK Sky Club.

Lastly, thanks to the full fare Y class ticket, I did end up with the upgrade. The BE service was quite nice - keep up the good work on that front Delta.
One of the reasons I never use JFK unless I must, a DL flight to Amman or Cairo. JFK is, well, too New Yorky, rude, uninfomred, flip, smart a**, and think that attitude is cute for some unknown reason. Why DL is expanding there is beyond me.

The last time I was there a SkyClub bartender smelled bad.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
jt1114: next time use your phone to take a picture of the misinformed employee, make sure to tell them to smile before taking the "documentation" you are sending to HQ.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Why DL is expanding there is beyond me?
Hmmm, just a wild guess... but perhaps it has something to do with population and money?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
why work yourself up over such a minor issue. Instead of arguing with 2 agents and running back and forth you simply pay. Once you write to Delta they will also throw in some extra miles for your troubles.
I agree you should have access on a full Y ticket and so far I have experienced few issues in JFK re: access.
There is no guarantee that DL will repay. A bird in the hand applies here, and I appreciate that OP made certain that both agents would know their error.

This kind of negative bias in Skyclub agents is annoying -- I've encountered it before, both at JFK and elsewhere. I wonder if they hire former KL employees for the position?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
I am just curious, unless it was a peak Monday or Friday, there surely is a cheaper fare in J already than a full Y fare. I know this is the case, because I have purchased it before and Y was close to 300-400 more than my D fare. Just food for thought if you are buying a full Y.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
There is no guarantee that DL will repay. A bird in the hand applies here, and I appreciate that OP made certain that both agents would know their error.

This kind of negative bias in Skyclub agents is annoying -- I've encountered it before, both at JFK and elsewhere. I wonder if they hire former KL employees for the position?
They will. If you give them the name of the employee who denied you enty and send them a valid BP they will certainly make this right. No doubt. A Y-class ticket to SFO/LAX from JFK must include access to the club and they do not want to lose the business of the OP ... not sure I would EVER pay for a Y-ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.