Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New York JFK Delta Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
  • T4:
    • near gate B31
    • pop-up temporary club in the former Wingtips lounge space (stay on same level after clearing TSA and turn right)
  • T2: mezzanine level T2 is closed
JFK Delta Sky Club vs Centurion thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...on-lounge.html

Print Wikipost

New York JFK Delta Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:10 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by richarddd
We have a 6:00pm flight to MAD next Monday in D1. How insane is it likely to be? When should we arrive at JFK to get there in time to have some dinner before the flight (get through security, walk to lounge, get in, etc)?
It is likely to be busy. In terms of timing:
Security -- Precheck is usually 5-15 minutes; not sure about non-Precheck Sky Priority
Walk to lounge -- 5-10 minutes
Wait to get into lounge in D1 priority line (you'll want the line that is past the Sky Club entrance as you are walking up to it, not the line that you encounter first) -- probably 5-15 minutes
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
It is likely to be busy. In terms of timing:
Security -- Precheck is usually 5-15 minutes; not sure about non-Precheck Sky Priority
Walk to lounge -- 5-10 minutes
Wait to get into lounge in D1 priority line (you'll want the line that is past the Sky Club entrance as you are walking up to it, not the line that you encounter first) -- probably 5-15 minutes
JFK's web site was listing T4 precheck at 20-25 minutes around 4:00-5:00 today. With luck that was an anomaly or inaccurate.

15 minutes would be annoying for the Sky Club line.

I guess aim to arrive at JFK by 4:30, given it can take up to 45 minutes worst case from drop-off to lounge?

Are they at least serving decent food these days?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:49 am

There's a Priority Pass lounge at T4 gate A2. How does that compare to the Sky Club?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 8:02 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

There's a Priority Pass lounge at T4 gate A2. How does that compare to the Sky Club?
I haven't been, but I can't imagine it's worthwhile if you have access to the Sky Club. It's much smaller and likely still overcrowded given how many people have PP access (and there may be some other airlines that send their business class passengers there as well), and I doubt it has anywhere near the quality of the food at the Sky Club, which is pretty decent nowadays.

There is also a temporary Sky Club Express which is likely less crowded but with a more limited food selection, things like packaged salads and sandwiches. And if you have an Amex Platinum there is the Centurion Lounge, which again will be crowded and may have a wait to get in around that time of day but with decent food. Centurion is right after security, so easier to stop and check the situation there first before going to the Sky Club.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: DL LOL, Mosaic, UAL Silver, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
I’m not expecting it will noticeably, since the T2 club was lost (and was never full but was often busy) and the lines likely turn off some potential customers, so there is latent demand that will come back once there is more room. Plus the Amex sign-up juggernaut continues unabated (after all, Delta flight counts at JFK haven’t increased since 2018 or 2019, when there was no line, either). But we will see.
I've actually been mulling over canceling the Amex. It is a huge fee to pay just for highly restricted access to overcrowded lounges with bad food that gets worse with every penny-pinching refresh. I think I'd rather just hang out at a restaurant in the terminal.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are usually lines to get into the restaurants as well.
ND76 and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Maybe I go at the right times, but my experience with lines at all of the JFK lounges has been a lot better than what has been posted. My longest wait for either the SkyClub or Centurion Lounge was 5 minutes, and this was before I was a Diamond. Other times, I have been able to walk in. Not he lounge may be crowded when I arrive, but the issue with lines and crowding tend to be overplayed IMO. I see much worse crowding in ATL.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Maybe I go at the right times, but my experience with lines at all of the JFK lounges has been a lot better than what has been posted...
Same for me. I usually use the Centurion Lounge at JFK but have never waited in a line there or at the Delta SkyClub at that airport. JFK is my home airport and I fly out every 1-2 months.
ShopAround likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Maybe I go at the right times, but my experience with lines at all of the JFK lounges has been a lot better than what has been posted.
Originally Posted by nycityny
Same for me. I usually use the Centurion Lounge at JFK but have never waited in a line there or at the Delta SkyClub at that airport. JFK is my home airport and I fly out every 1-2 months.
What times are you going? Peak times seem to be around 4-6pm or thereabouts.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
What times are you going? Peak times seem to be around 4-6pm or thereabouts.
I usually go earlier than peak times. But this Friday I have a 7:30pm flight so will try the lounges later than usual. I don't know what I'll find...
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Data point - I arrived at the curb of Terminal 4 this AM at 7:51. I was sat at the SkyClub bar about 13 minutes later with a nice egg frittata, potatoes and fruit (I wanted the pork sausage and chocolate croissant, but I passed). Five minutes in TSA, about an eight minute walk to the club, no line.

dtwlarry likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 5:51 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by CptnInc
I've actually been mulling over canceling the Amex. It is a huge fee to pay just for highly restricted access to overcrowded lounges with bad food that gets worse with every penny-pinching refresh. I think I'd rather just hang out at a restaurant in the terminal.
A cheeseburger, fries and one tall draft beer set me back $37.00 (after the tip); and that was in CLE. Think about what it costs in JFK. Actually, I do know. A 12 oz. bottle of Michelob Ultra went for $13 at a bar in T2 (RIP) where I went after the SC closed (our flight to DCA ended up not leaving until abut 2 am). If you enjoy adult beverages between flights, the club is actually a good deal.
bgriff and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 7:42 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ND76
A cheeseburger, fries and one tall draft beer set me back $37.00 (after the tip); and that was in CLE. Think about what it costs in JFK. Actually, I do know. A 12 oz. bottle of Michelob Ultra went for $13 at a bar in T2 (RIP) where I went after the SC closed (our flight to DCA ended up not leaving until abut 2 am). If you enjoy adult beverages between flights, the club is actually a good deal.
Not to mention that in my experience the quality of food at a lot of airport restaurants is pretty meh, while the quality of Sky Club food these days is actually pretty good. If you are looking for something healthy-ish, I think you can honestly get a better meal at the club than you can at any terminal restaurant these days.

That said if you specifically want a cheeseburger, fries and a beer at JFK T4, Shake Shack is a decent quality option that will not cost you $37, though it will be in the $25 neighborhood.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:41 pm

Arrived JFK at 4. Through precheck in about 5 minutes (JFK website said 20). No real wait at sky club for D1. It is rather crowded.

EDIT: When we left, a bit after 5, there was no D1 line and a growing but not terrible looking other line.
Adelphos likes this.

Last edited by richarddd; Mar 28, 2023 at 12:58 am
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:36 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Saw a sign kind of stashed in the corner of the T4 A gates saying that certain groups can use the Virgin Clubhouse 8:30am-1:30pm until the A Sky Club opens, which is nice for location convenience if departing from the A gates, though the B club is not usually crowded during those hours. IIRC the groups were D1 passengers, Reserve card holders and Sky Club members.

Notably, Amex Platinum cardholders were not listed, although the Clubhouse now operates as a Priority Pass lounge during those hours so Amex Platinum cardholders could enter via that channel. (Latest rundown on the updated JFK Clubhouse access rules can be found in this review: https://onemileatatime.com/reviews/v...-new-york-jfk/)

I assume, like when the LAX Clubhouse used to do PP at certain times of day, the service is radically reduced during PP hours, so it may not really be worth much. Assuming that's the deal, I would probably choose the Centurion lounge first if I was departing from the A gates and had access to both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.